The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun mountain chain:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mountain chain
What does mountain chain mean as a name of something?
- a series of hills or mountains
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonyms of mountain chain: chain / chain of mountains / mountain range / range / range of mountains
- more generic terms: formation / geological formation = the geological features of the earth
- Adirondack Mountains / Adirondacks = a mountain range in northeastern New York State
- Admiralty Range = mountains in Antarctica to the north of Victoria Land
- Alaska Range = a mountain range in south central Alaska
- Allegheny Mountains / Alleghenies = the western part of the Appalachian Mountains
- the Alps / Alps = a large mountain system in south-central Europe
- Altai Mountains / Altay Mountains = a mountain range in central Asia that extends a thousand miles from Kazakhstan eastward into western Mongolia and northern China
- Andes = a mountain range in South America running 5000 miles along the Pacific coast
- Apennines = a mountain range extending the length of the Italian peninsula
- Appalachian Mountains / Appalachians = a mountain range in the eastern United States extending from Quebec to the Gulf of Mexico
- Atlas Mountains = a mountain range in northern Africa between the Mediterranean and the Sahara Desert
- Australian Alps = a range of mountains in Australia that forms the southern end of the Great Dividing Range
- Balkan Mountain Range / Balkan Mountains / Balkans = the major mountain range of Bulgaria and the Balkan Peninsula
- Berkshire Hills / Berkshires = a low mountain range in western Massachusetts
- Black Hills = mountains in southwestern South Dakota and northeastern Wyoming; sacred to the Sioux
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Cantabrian Mountains = a range of mountains in northern Spain along the coast of the Bay of Biscay
- Carpathian Mountains / Carpathians = a mountain range in central Europe that extends from Slovakia and southern Poland southeastward through western Ukraine to northeastern Romania
- Cascade Mountains / Cascade Range / Cascades = a mountain range in the northwestern United States extending through Washington and Oregon and northern California
- Catskill Mountains / Catskills = a range of the Appalachians to the west of the Hudson in southeastern New York
- Caucasus Mountains / Caucasus = the mountain range in Caucasia between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea that forms part of the traditional border between Europe and Asia
- Coast Mountains / Coast Range = a string of mountain ranges along the Pacific coast of North America from southeastern Alaska to Lower California
- Cumberland Mountains / Cumberland Plateau = the southwestern part of the Appalachians
- Dolomite Alps = an eastern range of the Alps in northeastern Italy famous for their dolomitic limestone
- Great Dividing Range / Eastern Highlands = a mountain range running along the eastern coast of Australia
- Great Smoky Mountains = part of the Appalachians between North Carolina and Tennessee
- Green Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains that extends from south to north through Vermont
- Guadalupe Mountains = a mountain range in southern New Mexico and western Texas
- Himalaya Mountains / Himalayas / Himalaya = a mountain range extending 1500 miles on the border between India and Tibet
- Hindu Kush Mountains / Hindu Kush = a mountain range extending to the west of the Himalayas
- Karakoram Range / Karakorum Range / Mustagh Range / Karakoram / Mustagh = a mountain range in northern Kashmir; an extension of the Hindu Kush
- Kuenlun Mountains / Kunlun Mountains / Kunlan Shan / Kuenlun / Kunlun = a mountain range in western China that extends eastward from the Indian border for 1000 miles
- Mesabi Range = a range of hills in northeastern Minnesota where rich iron ore deposits were discovered in 1887
- Mount Carmel = a mountain range in northwestern Israel near the Mediterranean coast
- Nan Ling = a mountain range in southeastern China running generally east to west
- Ozark Mountains / Ozark Plateau / Ozarks = an area of low mountains in northwestern Arkansas and southeastern Missouri and northeastern Oklahoma
- Pamir Mountains / the Pamirs = a mountain range in central Asia that is centered in Tajikistan but extends into Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan and Pakistan and western China
- Pyrenees = a chain of mountains between France and Spain
- Rhodope Mountains = a mountain range in the Balkan peninsula in southeastern Europe
- Rocky Mountains / Rockies = the chief mountain range of western North America; extends from British Columbia to northern New Mexico
- Sacramento Mountains = mountain range in New Mexico to the east of the Rio Grande
- San Juan Mountains = a mountain range in southwestern Colorado that is part of the Rocky Mountains
- Sayan Mountains = a range of mountains in southern Siberia to the west of Lake Baikal
- Selkirk Mountains = a range of the Rocky Mountains in southeastern British Columbia
- sierra = a range of mountains
- Sierra Madre Occidental = a mountain range in northwestern Mexico that runs south from Arizona parallel to the Pacific coastline
- Sierra Madre Oriental = a mountain range in northeastern Mexico the runs parallel to the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico
- Sierra Nevada Mountains / Sierra Nevada / High Sierra = a mountain range in eastern California
- Sierra Nevada = a mountain range in southern Spain along the Mediterranean coast to the east of Granada
- St. Elias Mountains / St. Elias Range = a range of mountains between Alaska and the Yukon territory
- Taconic Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains along the eastern border of New York with Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont
- Teton Range = a mountain range in northwest Wyoming
- Tien Shan / Tyan Shan = a major mountain range of central Asia
- Transylvanian Alps = a range of the southern Carpathian Mountains extending across central Romania
- Tyrolean Alps = a popular tourist area in the Tyrol
- Ural Mountains / Urals = a mountain range in western Russia extending from the Arctic to the Caspian Sea
Alternative definition of the noun mountain chain
- A series of mountain ranges stretching across a continent
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for mountain chain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1832)
are aggravated into chains; but these chains not connected together by a central or high mountain chain, Hence it never forms groups. It is lower than alpine land; and is often intersected, which is never the case with alpine land. 11. The third ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1824)
Supplement to the 4th, 5th, and 6th Editions ... With Preliminary Dissertations on the History of the Sciences ...
Geognosy, increases considerably, and sometimes we cannot STS- reach the mountain chain but by a very steep ascent, sometimes, indeed, nearly vertical, so that the valley seems to terminate suddenly opposite to a perpendicular face.
The Cyclopædia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature. By Abraham Rees, ... with the Assistance of Eminent Professional Gentlemen. Illustrated with Numerous Engravings, by the Most Disinguished Artists. In Thirthy-nine Volumes. Vol. 1 [- 39] (1819)
They vary in magnitude and extent ; , the most confiderable, ćalled alfo chief mountain chain, is that which, proceeding from the middle of the high mountain chain, reaches to the foot of the group; the other chains either shoot from the foot of ...
by Diagram Group
midoceanic ridge A submarine mountain chain formed of upwelling molten rock. mirage An optical illusion ...
by Abraham Rees
The second feature in the general aspect of high land is mountainous land; it is composed of single mountains collected into chains, which however, not being joined together by a central or high mountain chain, are never seen to form groups.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for mountain chain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about mountain chain
Click on an item to view that photo:
Green Mountain Chain
Photo credit: Krasniza
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about mountain chain
Mountain chain Meaning
Video shows what mountain chain means. A series of mountain ranges stretching across a continent. Mountain chain Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
Anagrams of MOUNTAIN CHAIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of mountain chain!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of mountain chain to see it in context!