The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun musical composition:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun musical composition
What does musical composition mean as a name of something?
- a musical work that has been created
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of musical composition: composition / opus / piece / piece of music
- more generic word: music = an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
- more specific terms:
- morceau = a short literary or musical composition
- sheet music = a musical composition in printed or written form
- musical arrangement / arrangement = a piece of music that has been adapted for performance by a particular set of voices or instruments
- realisation / realization = a musical composition that has been completed or enriched by someone other than the composer
- intermezzo = a short piece of instrumental music composed for performance between acts of a drama or opera
- allegro = a musical composition or musical passage to be performed quickly in a brisk lively manner
- allegretto = a musical composition or musical passage to be performed at a somewhat quicker tempo than andante but not as fast as allegro
- andante = a musical composition or musical passage to be performed moderately slow
- introit = a composition of vocal music that is appropriate for opening church services
- solo = a musical composition for one voice or instrument
- duette / duet / duo = a musical composition for two performers
- trio = a musical composition for three performers
- quartette / quartet = a musical composition for four performers
- quintette / quintet = a musical composition for five performers
- sextette / sestet / sextet = a musical composition written for six performers
- septette / septet = a musical composition written for seven performers
- octette / octet = a musical composition written for eight performers
- bagatelle = a light piece of music for piano
- divertimento / serenade = a musical composition in several movements
- canon = a contrapuntal piece of music in which a melody in one part is imitated exactly in other parts
- etude = a short composition for a solo instrument
- pastorale / pastoral / idyll / idyl = a musical composition that evokes rural life
- toccata = a baroque musical composition (usually for a keyboard instrument) with full chords and rapid elaborate runs in a rhythmically free style
- fantasia = a musical composition of a free form usually incorporating several familiar themes
- musical passage / passage = a short section of a musical composition
- movement = a major self-contained part of a symphony or sonata
- largo = a composition or passage that is to be performed in a slow and dignified manner
- larghetto = a composition or passage played in a slow tempo slightly faster than largo but slower than adagio
- suite = a musical composition of several movements only loosely connected
- symphonic poem / tone poem = an orchestral composition based on literature or folk tales
- potpourri / pastiche / medley = a musical composition consisting of a series of songs or other musical pieces from various sources
- nocturne / notturno = a pensive lyrical piece of music
- adagio = a composition played in adagio tempo
- vocal / song = a short musical composition with words
- study = a composition intended to develop one aspect of the performer's technique
- capriccio = an instrumental composition that doesn't adhere to rules for any specific musical form and is played with improvisation
- motet = an unaccompanied choral composition with sacred lyrics; intended to be sung as part of a church service
- programme music / program music = musical compositions intended to evoke images or remind the listener of events
- incidental music = music composed to accompany the action of a drama or to fill intervals between scenes
- part: finale / coda = the closing section of a musical composition
"Musical composition" is a book by Ellis Kohs.
- also known as "Musical composition: projects in ways and means"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Musical composition
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
—chess Musical beats—rhythms Musical celebrity—pop star Musical composition— concerto, oratorio, serenade, opus, toccata Musical composition for a solo ...
Musical composition or “Sound poem.” Tondichter. Ger. Composer or poet in sounds, often incorrectly called “tone poet.” Tone. Sound, possessing musical quality; full interval of two semitones; Gregorian chant; church MODE. Tonfalg e.
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
show, songful, symphonious, tonal musical accompaniment that is integral: obbligato musical afterthought: postlude musical aptitude: ear musical hell sound : chime musical break: rest musical closing: coda musical composition: anthem, ...
a musical composition, a sound-poem Tone, a musical sound of definite pitch. Tonfall (G.), a cadence. Tonfarbe (G.), tone-color, timbre. Tonfolge (G.), a succession of sounds, a melody. Tonfuhrung (G.), melodic and harmonic ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
хөгжмийн ~musical composition, зохиолын хулгай plagiarism ЗОХИОЛДЛОГО adaptation, modification ЗОХИОЛЧ author, writer, хөгжмийн ~composer ЗОХИОМЖ composition, structure, form ЗОХИОМЖЛОХ ...
by John Stainer
A musical composition. Tonschluss (Ger.) A cadence. Tonschlüssel (Ger.) [Key.] Tonschrift (Ger.) (1) Written music. (2) Musical notes or characters. Tons de la trompette (Fr.) Crooks used to alter the pitch of a trumpet. [Crook.] Tons de l'église ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Musical composition
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Musical composition
If you need images about Musical composition for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Quotes about Musical composition
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'musical composition"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Musical composition to see it in context!