The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb mute:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun mute
- Definition of the adjective mute
- Definition of the verb mute
- Phrases with Mute
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mute
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mute
- Photos about Mute
- Video language resources about Mute
- Sign language
- Quotes about Mute
- Scrabble value of M3U1T1E1
- Anagrams of MUTE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun mute
What does mute mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: mutes
- a deaf person who is unable to speak
- a device used to soften the tone of a musical instrument
Alternative definition of the noun mute
- A person who does not have the power of speech.
- An acting part where no speaking (and in opera, no singing) is required.
- [music] An object for dulling the sound of an instrument, especially a brass instrument, or damper for pianoforte; a sordine.
- One refusing to speak.
- An undertaker's assistant.
- The deadening of an appliance's or musical instrument's volume.
- In falconry, a 'mute' is a hawk's or falcon's droppings, particularly more solid ones which fall down. (See slice.)
- In wine making, 'mute', from the French, is the grape juice from pressed grapes kept aside in chilled stainless steel tanks and used at later stages of wine making by adding to the dry wine base to achieve the desired residual sugar level in the final product. (Usually spelled "muté " in this case and pronounced "mju:te".)
Definition of the adjective mute
What does mute mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: muter | mutest
- expressed without speech
- unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
Alternative definition of the adjective mute
- Silent; not making a sound.
- [of a person] Not having the power of speech.
Definition of the verb mute
What does mute mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: muted | muting | mutes
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Alternative definition of the verb mute
- [transitive] To silence, to make quiet.
- [transitive] To turn off the sound of.
Mute a.k.a. Mute Records: Mute is a British record label. It was founded in 1978 by Daniel Miller and featured several prominent musical acts on its roster such as Depeche Mode, Erasure, Fad Gadget, Goldfrapp, Grinderman, Moby, Nitzer Ebb, Wire, and Yazoo.
- read more about Mute Records
- Mute is a musical group.
- albums: "Sleepers", "The Raven", "Blueprints", "Thunderblast"
- Mute a.k.a. M.U.T.E. is a musical group.
- read more about M.U.T.E.
- MUTe is a musical group.
- album: "On Off"
- Mute is a fictional character from the 2007 film 1612.
- Mute is a fictional character from the 2005 film The Iris Effect.
"Mute" is a book by Piers Anthony.
- genre: Speculative fiction
- copyright: 1981
- "Mute" is a 2013 short animated film written and directed by Job Roggeveen, Joris Oprins and Marieke Blaauw.
- "Mute" a.k.a. "Lal" is a film, directed by Semir Aslanyürek.
- read more about Lal
- "Mute" is a 2005 American short comedy film directed by Melissa Joan Hart and written by Kristin Lipiro. The film stars Emily Hart, Emily Deschanel and Dylan Neal.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Palak Patel
- executive producers: Paula Hart & Steve Fischer
- production design by Julie Kaye Fanton
- written by Kristin Lipiro
- casting by Paula Hart
- cinematography by Francis dela Torre
- edited by Don Koch & Donald Koch
- music by Ryan Adison Amen
- costume design by Kimberly Engelman
- genre: Comedy
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical album of Demians.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Mute" is a composition.
- "Mute" is a musical album of Sinexoid.
- released on
- "Mute" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Matrix
- "Mute" is a musical EP of The Fusionmen.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical album of Fourprint.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical single of Techno Squirrels.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical album of Catchers.
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Mute" is a composition.
- "mute" is a musical single of Stakka Bo.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical album of Scars of Life.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical album of Black Harvest.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Mute" is a musical album of Deafened.
- "Mute" is a musical EP of Colonial Excess.
Mute is a Colombian cuisine soup from Boyacá and Santander departments. The word may be used as slang for a whole corn soup in other areas. In Santander cuisine, ingredients include pork parts, corn, and vegetables. In Boyaca, beef and potato seem to be used more commonly. Goat meat can also used.
- The MUTE Network is an unmaintained peer-to-peer file sharing network developed with anonymity in mind. The MUTE client is open source software released under the Public domain and includes support for the Linux, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows computer operating systems.
- developer: Jason Rohrer
- genre: File sharing
- license: Public domain
- official website: mute-net.sourceforge.net
- Mute is a British online magazine that covers a wide spectrum of subjects related to cyberculture, artistic practice, left wing politics, urban regeneration, biopolitics, direct democracy, net art, the commons, horizontality and UK arts.
Phrases with Mute
Phrases starting with the word Mute:
Phrases ending with the word Mute:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Mute
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Most Practical and Comprehensive Resource for Composers, Arrangers and Orchestrators by Dave Black, Tom Gerou
With the stem pulled all the way out, the mute produces a filtered, hollow sound. • Whispa Mute: The sound is forced out of a sound-absorbent material with small holes. The softest of all mutes, it is almost inaudible except in extremely quiet ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
MUTE, adj. & n.
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
And thus, Mute, that which is moved, (mohtm,) sc. out of the bowels. And see Falconry. Upon the oake, the plumbe-tree and the holme, The stock-dove and the blackbird should not come, Whose muting on those trees does make to grow ...
by Charles Richardson
MUTE, v. That can or may be changed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Mute
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Mute
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about mute swan.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Mute
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mute Dialect
- Mute Meaning
Video shows what mute means. Not having the power of speech; dumb.. Silent; not making a sound.. Not uttered; unpronounced; silent; also, produced by ...
- Video Vocabulary ''mute'' definition
Created By Aina and Seoyoon...
- Pro-TMC intellectuals virtually choose to stay mute about Mamata's language
Pro-TMC intellectuals virtually choose to stay mute about Mamata's language.
- Mute Swimmer-Language (Live)
Mute Swimmer perform "Language" live at Donau 115, September 20th - 2014 Berlin, Germany.
- 'Language' by Mute Swimmer - Constance Acoustics
Mute Swimmer live in Constance 29/05/2012 Checkout his bandcamp page...
- Mute Swimmer - 'Language' at Salon Remise, Berlin, Germany 14.01.11
Mute Swimmer featuring Tom Marsh on drums in East Berlin, January 2011.
- Periscope for iOS now lets you mute notifications and control language settings
See also the pronunciation examples of Mute!
Mute cat uses sign language
This male cat is deaf and uses sign language to communicate also has a translator through his sister cat!
Quotes about Mute
The past is only the present become invisible and mute and because it is invisible and mute, its memoried glances and it's murmurs are infinitely precious. We are tomorrow's past. (Mary Webb)
more quotes about mute...
Scrabble value of M3U1T1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of MUTE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Mute!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Mute to see it in context!