On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun naiad
What does naiad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- naiad: naiads / naiades (less preferred form)
- Naiad: Naiads
- submerged aquatic plant having narrow leaves and small flowers; of fresh or brackish water
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of naiad: water nymph
- more generic terms: aquatic plant / hydrophyte / hydrophytic plant / water plant = a plant that grows partly or wholly in water whether rooted in the mud, as a lotus, or floating without anchorage, as the water hyacinth
- member of: genus Naias / genus Najas / Naias / Najas = sole genus of the family Naiadaceae
- (Greek mythology) a nymph of lakes and springs and rivers and fountains
Naiad is a fictional water elemental published by DC Comics. She first appeared in Firestorm, the Nuclear Man vol. 2 #90, during the four part Elemental War storyline that ran to issue #93, and was created by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake.
"Naiad" is an artwork by José T. Joya.
"Naiad" is a composition.
- music by Ken Ishii
- Naiad: In Greek mythology, the Naiads were a type of water nymph who presided over fountains, wells, springs, streams, brooks and other bodies of fresh water.
- Naiad, also known as Neptune III, is the innermost satellite of Neptune, named after the Naiads of Greek legend.
- also known as 海卫三
- Naiad: Naiads are water spirits that live in the fresh water places of Narnia. They are most commonly found in the Great River of Narnia. They are human-like in an appearance but have hair that flows like water and crowned with rushes, skin in shades of blue, grey, and green. They are usually naked when in their waters but are clothed when venturing about land. Some people in our world confuse naiads for mermaids, but this is not true, for naiads have human legs and mermaids have long fish tails. There are male naiads as well as their father and chief The River God, who has a weedy beard. In the animated adaption of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, it is unknown if naiads appear, but in a few scenes there are certain nymphs that are usually scened with a dryad or two and has a black dress that doesn't have any twigs and branches growing out of their shoulders, and dark bluish-green hair that falls down to their shoulders and the bottom edges are shaped like fins or spikes.
Phrases with Naiad
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Naiad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Big Data (2015)
Algorithms, Analytics, and Applications by Kuan-Ching Li, Hai Jiang, Laurence T. Yang, Alfredo Cuzzocrea
Naiad is a distributed system for executing data-parallel, cyclic dataflow programs. The core part is written in C#. It offers high throughput of batch processors and low latency of stream processors and is able to perform iterative ...
Medea and Other Plays (1998)
by Euripides, James Morwood
A Naiad is a water-nymph, here perhaps running from a lustful satyr, and a bacchant is an ecstatic female follower of Dionysus or Bacchus, the god of liberation and wine. 557 Dirce: the wife of a king of Thebes, metamorphosed into a river at ...
by Michele Martinez
An oread inhabits hills, mountains or grottos; a naiad is a water spirit, inhabiting various bodies of water. Lines 93-6. The association between poetic fame and sculptural representation is famously codified in Alexander Pope's The Temple of ...
by Adam Rynkiewich
bones of the dead A cantonment is a temporary quarters for troops Sacerdotalism is the religious belief emphasizing the powers of priests as essential mediators between God and man A naiad is a nymph in ancient mythology living in lakes, ...
by Friedrich Schiller
(Dreas and Dryas are Greek feminine forms, signifying ' nymph of the mountain ' and ' nymph of the oak-tree, ' K Line respectively ; the Naiad is the nymph of the THE GODS OF GREECE. NOTES.
Impacts of Nutrient Input on Production by Charles C. Mischke
Southern naiad is a prolific seed producer and once established in a pond will usually become a recurring weed problem. Reproduction can also occur by fragmentation, so mechanical control may spread this plant to other ponds. This plant ...
by Heinjo Lahring, University of Regina. Canadian Plains Research Center
SPECIAL FEATURES The Slender Naiad is a very important plant for water aeration. It provides food and shelter for fish and invertebrates. The small seeds are eaten by small aquatic organisms. Waterfowl such as Black Ducks, Buffleheads, ...
by Alexander Barrett Klots, Elsie Broughton Klots
A naiad is a nymphal type of larva that lives in the water, usually respiring by means of tracheal gills. Eventually it transforms directly into an aerial adult with a regular, tracheal air-breathing system. 78 INSECT GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT.
The Rudder (1907)
by Thomas Fleming Day
Naiad is the enlarged Seabird which has won many prizes in Lake Michigan yachting. The course from Chicago is straightaway for 203 miles to Point Betsie, then about 100 miles to Wauga- shance Light, which must be left to starboard, and ...
N, O, P Versability (2015)
by Roger J. Maderia
A naiad is a Greek water nymph. A nabob is someone who's wealthy. A nutritionist is an expert in nutrition and foods that keep people healthy. Nominees are suggested for positions. They receive a nomination from the crowd. A noncom is a ...
by Percival George Woodcock
The word Naiad is now in frequent use, especially by poets. Nandi, Hindoo goddess of joy. Narae, the Hindoo infernal regions. Narayan, Hindoo god of tides . The name signifies "the mover of the water." Narcissus, son of Cephisus and the ...
by Elizabeth Knowles
naiad (in classical mythology) a water nymph said to inhabit a river, spring, or waterfall. The name comes via Latin from Greek Naias, Naiad-, from ...
by Thomas E. Zurinskas
~naeberhood - neighborhood ~naecher - nature ~naed - neighd ~Naeddeen - Nadine ~Naedoe - Nadeau ~nae'id - naiad ~naeker - nacre ~naekid - naked ~ naekree'is - nacreous ~naekreeyis - nacreous ~nael - nail ~naem - name ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Naiad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Naiad
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Tim Jarrett
Photo credit: russelljsmith
All these pictures taken by Lewis Abbott (Kirk Gisiner) at the Quest for Venus which took place at the Coronation of Valharic and Arielle in the Kingdom of Atlantia. For more info visit House de la Flamme
Photo credit: an iconoclast
Photo credit: paulhami
- Naiad by Antonio Canova
Marble sculpture "Naiad," by Antonio Canova (1757-1822) in the National Gallery of Art, in Washington, DC.
Photo credit: Mr.TinDC
- Naiad Wake
Photo credit: paulhami
- Georgia Naiad
Photo credit: Complicated
- Nonchalant Naiad
Photo credit: Binder Of Daemons
- Naiad at the Dock
Photo credit: paulhami
- Another Naiad in Moraine Lake
Day 4: Big Arroyo Junction to Moraine Lake.
Photo credit: simonov
- Navarro River dragonfly naiad
lots of adult Meadowhawks cruising the slow pools of the summer Navarro
Photo credit: M Hedin
- Naiad Patty in the Assembly House
The Assembly House was Chenier's less well-used gathering place. It had three levels of floor space, but that iteration of Chenier's sim didn't last long enough for dances or events to happen there. The top floor was a dock for dirigibles, balloons, and other airships.
Photo credit: Patricia de Chenier
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Naiad
Video shows what naiad means. A female deity (nymph) associated with water, especially a spring, stream, or other fresh water.. The aquatic larva (nymph) of a ...
Scrabble value of N1A1I1A1D2
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NAIAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Naiad!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Naiad to find many related words and phrases!