On this page:
- Definition of the noun narcotic
- Definition of the adjective narcotic
- Phrases with Narcotic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Narcotic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Narcotic
- Photos about Narcotic
- Video about Narcotic
- Quotes about Narcotic
- Scrabble value of N1A1R1C3O1T1I1C3
- Anagrams of NARCOTIC
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun narcotic
What does narcotic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: narcotics
- a drug that produces numbness or stupor; often taken for pleasure or to reduce pain; extensive use can lead to addiction
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: drug = a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic
- more specific terms:
- hard drug = a narcotic that is considered relatively strong and likely to cause addiction
- dolophine hydrochloride / methadone hydrochloride / synthetic heroin / methadone / methadon / fixer = synthetic narcotic drug similar to morphine but less habit-forming
- opiate = a narcotic drug that contains opium or an opium derivative
- opium = an addictive narcotic extracted from seed capsules of the opium poppy
- recreational drug = a narcotic drug that is used only occasionally and is claimed to be nonaddictive
- soft drug = a drug of abuse that is considered relatively mild and not likely to cause addiction
Alternative definition of the noun narcotic
- Any class of substances or drugs, that reduces pain, induces sleep and may alter mood or behaviour.
- Any type of numbing drug.
- Certain illegal drugs.
Specialised definition of the noun narcotic
Glossary of sports
any typically addictive drug, especially one derived from opium, e.g. cocaine, that may produce effects ranging from pain relief and sleep to stupor, coma and convulsions (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the adjective narcotic
What does narcotic mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of or relating to or designating narcotics
- examples: narcotic addicts | narcotic stupor
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
- inducing stupor or narcosis
- inducing mental lethargy
Alternative definition of the adjective narcotic
- Of, or relating to narcotics.
- Inducing sleep; causing narcosis.
Narcotic is a musical group.
- album: "Rumat vs. kauniit"
- "Narcotic" is a musical single of Liquido.
- also known as Narcotic (Demo '96)
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Narcotic" is a composition.
- "Narcotic" is an album by Muslimgauze.
- "Narcotic" is a musical single of DJ G4bby, Lars Böge, Basslovers United.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Narcotic" is a musical single of Apani B & J-Treds.
- producers: Dwain Esper & Hildegarde Stadie
- narcotic a.k.a. Opioid: An opioid is any chemical that resembles morphine or other opiates in its pharmacological effects. Opioids work by binding to opioid receptors, which are found principally in the central and peripheral nervous system and the gastrointestinal tract. The receptors in these organ systems mediate the beneficial effects as well as the psychoactive and the side effects of opioids.
- read more about Opioid
- Narcotic: The term narcotic originally referred medically to any psychoactive compound with any sleep-inducing properties. In the United States it has since become associated with opiates and opioids, commonly morphine and heroin and their derivatives, such as hydrocodone. The term is, today, imprecisely defined and typically has negative connotations. When used in a legal context in the U.S., a narcotic drug is simply one that is totally prohibited, or one that is used in violation of strict governmental regulation, such as codeine or morphine.
- also known as สิ่งเสพติด, ยาเสพติด, Heroin, Bạch phiến, Chất ma túy, 麻醉药品
Phrases with Narcotic
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Narcotic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Pemberton (F.R.S.L.)
Narcotic is an adjective. Narrable is an adjective. Narrative is an adjective. Na- saZ is an adjective. Nasty is an adjective. Natal is an adjective. National is an adjective.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Narcotic Principle, and recently discovered Vegetable Principles, chiefly or an Alkaline NATURE. 1316. It is well known that the milky juices of the poppy, the lettuce, and other plants, and the decoction of others, as of the leaves of the digitalis ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
Narcotic Principle. ied, combin- (2363.) It is well known that the milky juices of the poppy, the lettuce, and other plants ; and the decoction of others, as of the leaves of the digitalis purpurca, excite sleep, and if taken in sufficient quantity, ...
by William Nicholson
be composed of the sulphates of lime and of potash, extractive matter, gluten, mucilage, resinous matter, and an oil, besides the narcotic matter, to which its peculiar properties are owing. By digesting opium in water, part of it is dissolved, and ...
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1874)
by Popular encyclopedia
NARCOTIC, derived from a Greek term signifying numbness or torpor, is the name ...
by Denise Tiran
antidote to narcotic drug, e.g. pethidine; 0.01 mg/kg of estimated body weight is administered to baby if apgar score is low and mother had narcotic in labour; observe baby for respiratory difficulties for ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Narcotic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Narcotic
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: PunchingJudy
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Narcotic
Video shows what narcotic means. Any class of substances or drugs, that reduces pain, induces sleep and may alter mood or behaviour.. Any type of numbing ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Narcotic!
Quotes about Narcotic
Scrabble value of N1A1R1C3O1T1I1C3
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NARCOTIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Narcotic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Narcotic to see it in context!