On this page:
- Definition of the noun Nicarao
- Phrases with Nicarao
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nicarao
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nicarao
- Photos about Nicarao
- Video language resources about Nicarao
- Scrabble value of N1I1C3A1R1A1O1
- Anagrams of NICARAO
- Share this page
Definition of the noun Nicarao
What does Nicarao mean as a name of something?
Nicarao is a genus of Sepsidae, described by Silva in 1995.
- synonym: genus Nicarao
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Arthropoda
- class: Insecta
- order: Diptera
- family: Sepsidae
- Nicarao is the name of the capital city of the most populous indigenous tribe when the Spanish arrived in Nicaragua. Gil González Dávila, who first explored the area, came up with this Central American country's name by combining Nicarao and the Spanish word Agua, meaning water, after the two large lakes in the west of the country, Lake Managua and Lake Nicaragua.
- Nicarao was the most important cacique or Indian chief at the arrival of the Spanish conquistadors in what today is Southeastern Nicaragua in 1522, although Columbus, on his 4th and last voyage, had already set foot in Nicaragua in 1502. According to some historians, the modern name Nicaragua is the Hispanized version of the phoneme Nicarao where the "o" has been dropped and the "gua" added to create the name of the country.
Phrases with Nicarao
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nicarao
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Anthropology, Anthropology by CTI Reviews
Nicarao: Nicarao is the name of the capital city of the most populous indigenous tribe when the Spanish arrived in Nicaragua. Old World: The Old World consists of those parts of the world known to classical antiquity and the European Middle ...
American Shipping (1920)
The Nicarao is the second of two special type combination passenger and fruit steamers contracted for by the Standard shipyard, and this vessel, which will be delivered shortly to the Cuyamel Fruit Company, will be used In the ...
American Indian Languages (2000)
The Historical Linguistics of Native America by Lyle Campbell
Nicarao is a variety of Nahua (Uto-Aztecan) once spoken in Nicaragua. The Güegüence drama was performed by people who clearly identified themselves ethnically as Indians and set themselves apart from Nicaraguans having European ...
by James Stuart Olson, Robert Shadle
Nicaragua, a province of the Captaincy General of Guatemala during the Spanish colonial period, received its name from the principal cacique Nicarao or Nicaragua whom the Spaniards first met. The province, bordered by the Atlantic and ...
Heinemann First Encyclopedia (2005)
by Heinemann Library (Firm)
The name Nicaragua comes from the name, Nicarao. Nicarao was a Native American chief. This is the main road through a Nicaraguan village. FACT FILE △ People Nicaraguans Population about 5 million Main languages Spanish Capital ...
[See Nicarao.] A lake in the southern part of Nicaragua. It receives the waters of Lake Managua by the Tipitapa, and has its outlet in the San Juan. The surface is 110 feet above sea-level, the depth varying from 12 to 88 feet. There are several ...
History, Language, Literature, Biography, Geography, Travel, Art, Government, Politics, Industry, Invention, Commerce, Science, Education, Natural History, Statistics and Miscellany : a Practical Handbook of Ready Reference Based Upon Everyday Needs
pan Toltec Aztec, Chichin Pipile, Nicarao Alaguila Itia Taendal Quiche Cakchiq Huaste< Maya, Quichua Amara Alftonh Iroquois Dakota - — Chahta-"» ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century cyclopedia of names ... ed. by Benjamin E. Smith (1903)
[See Nicarao..] A lake in the southern part of Nicaragua. It receives the waters of Lake Managua by the Tipitapa, and has its outlet in the San Juan. The surface is 110 feet above sea-level, the depth varying from 12 to 83 feet. There are several ...
The Century Dictionary: The Century cyclopedia ofnames ... ed. by Benjamin E. Smith ... v. 12. Atlas (1911)
[See Nicarao..] A lake in the southern": of Nicaragua. It receives the Waters of Lake and has its outa by the Tipita let in the San Juan. # surface is £ £ the depth varying from 12 to 83 feet. There are seve islands, the largest, Ometepe, containing ...
Subject Headings Used in the Dictionary Catalogs of the Library of Congress [from 1897 Through June 1964] (1966)
by Library of Congress. Subject Cataloging Division
x Drugs and youth Youth and drugs Youth and narcotics xx Juvenile delinquency Narcotic habit Nahuas t sa Nicarao Indians x Nahuatl Indians xx Uto-Aztecan Indians Nahuatl Indians ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nicarao
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Nicarao
If you need images about Nicarao for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about Nicarao
Click on an item to play that video:
- LA FAMOSA COLONIA NICARAO EN MANAGUA, NIC 2013
TN8, el canal joven de Nicaragua, hizo un recorrido por la Colonia, Nicarao, una zona de Managua, Nicaragua, es un lugar muy tranquilo, de familias ...
- Cajon nicarao
movimieno de colmena,despues de tres dias instaladas en el cajon Nicarao.
- Primer Reencuentro Colonia Nicarao en Miami
- Nicarao Anno VI et Don Pepin Invictos
- Nicaragua - land of Nicarao (trailer)
Nicaragua - land of Nicarao is a one-half historical documentary in and around the beautiful Spanish Granada. The viewer is shown the lovely architecture, ...
- Nicarao Exclusivo - Inter-tabac 2012
Didier V. Houvenaghel stellt uns die Nicarao Exclusivo vor. Die dunkle Farbe des Deckblatts wurde durch ein besonders langes Fermentationsverfahren ...
Scrabble value of N1I1C3A1R1A1O1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NICARAO
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Nicarao!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Nicarao to find many related words and phrases!