The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun nimbus:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun nimbus
- Phrases with Nimbus
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nimbus
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nimbus
- Photos about Nimbus
- Video about Nimbus
- Quotes about Nimbus
- Scrabble value of N1I1M3B3U1S1
- Anagrams of NIMBUS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun nimbus
What does nimbus mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: nimbi / nimbuses (less preferred form)
- a dark grey cloud bearing rain
- an indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint
- Nimbus was a British Thoroughbred racehorse. In a racing career which lasted from the spring of 1948 until August 1949, he ran nine times and won six races. Nimbus ran successfully as a two-year-old in 1948, winning the July Stakes, but reached his peak the following year. He won close finishes in both the 2000 Guineas and the Epsom Derby but was unable to attempt the Triple Crown after his career was ended by injury. He had modest success as a breeding stallion.
- born in (69 years ago), child of Nearco
- Nimbus was a French Thoroughbred racehorse whose damsire was the 1899 British Triple Crown Champion, Flying Fox. Nimbus was owned and raced by leading French horseman Alexandre Aumont of Haras de Victot in Victot-Pontfol, Calvados.
- born in (105 years ago)
- Nimbus is an Horse.
- born in (85 years ago)
- "Nimbus" is a book by Alexander Jablokov.
- genre: Speculative fiction
- copyright: 1993
- "Nimbus" is a book by John Griffiths & John Griffiths.
- also known as "Nimbus: Technology Serving the Arts"
"Nimbus" is a film, directed by Rémi Fréchette.
- country: Canada
- genres: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Comedy
- released in
"Nimbus" is a racing video game game made by Noumenon Games and is available on Steam. It was rated 8/10 by IGN. The main gimmick of Nimbus is that your craft has no direct means of power.
- developer: Noumenon Games
- "Nimbus" is a musical album of Dreamcatcher.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Nimbus" is a musical album of Cast.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Nimbus" is a musical album of Andrew Mikkelsen.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Nimbus" is a composition.
- music by Ralph Towner
- "Nimbus" is a cataloged instance, composition.
Who is Nimbus?
Nimbus a.k.a. Harry Peat is a film score composer.
- read more about Harry Peat
- Nimbus is a Finnish prog rock band.
- Nimbus is a German jazz band.
- album: "Far Enough"
- Nimbus is an indie rock band.
- The Nimbus was a Danish motorcycle produced from 1919 to 1960 by Fisker and Nielsen of Copenhagen, Denmark, also manufacturers of "Nilfisk" brand vacuum cleaners. Two basic models were produced, both with a 750 cc four-cylinder engine.
- Nimbus is a toolkit that, once installed on a cluster, provides an infrastructure as a service cloud to its client via WSRF-based or Amazon EC2 WSDL web service APIs. Nimbus is free and open-source software, subject to the requirements of the Apache License, version 2.
- official website: workspace.globus.org
- Nimbus is the Annual Technical Festival of National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India. It is touted to be an amalgamation of ideas, expressions, innovations,prototypes, knowledge channels, taken to the most premier levels.
- official website: www.festnimbus.com
- Nimbus, "A Magazine of Literature, the Arts, and New Ideas", was a literary magazine co-founded in London in 1951 by Martin Green and Tristram Hull.
- Nimbus: In cryptography, Nimbus is a block cipher invented by Alexis Machado in 2000. It was submitted to the NESSIE project, but was not selected.
Phrases with Nimbus
- nimbus cloud
- Crinia nimbus
- Helius Nimbus
- Cellana Nimbus
- Oreokera Nimbus
- Anopheles nimbus
- Oeclidius Nimbus
- Bryobatrachus Nimbus
- Dolicheremaeus nimbus
- Priapipilumnus Nimbus
- species Crinia nimbus
- Species Helius Nimbus
- Species Cellana Nimbus
- Species Oreokera Nimbus
- species Anopheles nimbus
- Species Oeclidius Nimbus
- Species Bryobatrachus Nimbus
- species Dolicheremaeus nimbus
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nimbus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Turquoise Ledge (2010)
A Memoir by Leslie Marmon Silko
Nimbus means rain or mist. Nimbostratus are dark gray to deep blue clouds formed from water droplets.They are rain and snow clouds that aredeep and foggy with thefalling precipitation; a dim light glows fromwithin. Cumulonimbus clouds ...
by Thomas Dick
The nimbus is the cloud of rain. Before rain takes place, the clouds are uniformly found to undergo a change, attended with appearances sufficiently remarkable to indicate this as a distinct modification of clouds. It consists of a horizontal sheet, ...
by Ivan Mistrik, Rami Bahsoon, Nour Ali, Maritta Heisel, Bruce Maxim
Nimbus is the central orchestration process through which all jobs are delegated to Supervisors. Supervisors spawn and monitor worker threads to complete tasks. These daemons are fast-fail by design, meaning that worker processes are ...
by Oswald Campesato, Kevin Nilson
Nimbus is an open source IaaS-based cloud computing tool. Its home page is: http://workspace.globus.org/ Nimbus is based on the Xen hypervisor, and it lets you convert your cluster into a cloud and provides support for ...
Continued Rise of the Cloud (2014)
Advances and Trends in Cloud Computing by Zaigham Mahmood
Nimbus is an open-source toolkit which is a cloud IaaS via Amazon's Elastic Computing Cloud (EC2) and Web Service Description Language (WSDL) web service APIs. Nimbus was designed with the goal of turning clusters into clouds mainly ...
Report to COSPAR.
Nimbus is a three-axis, earth- stabilized, research and developmental satellite capable of providing daily, full-earth coverage by means of a nearby polar orbit having an inclination of approximately 80° retrograde to the equator. The satellite ...
by S. Teweles
The Nimbus is a research satellite launched and controlled by NASAGoddard Space Flight Center and was not intended to be an operational vehicle. Over a solid cloud cover the sounding can be derived down to the top of the clouds. Over a ...
The nimbus is an attribute or decoration borne by God, by the angels, and by the saints, as figured in pictorial...
Chambers' Edinburgh Journal (1844)
The Nimbus is a Latin term signifying literally a storm cloud, but metaphorically a woman's veil, and is employed by artists to express that halo with which they are pleased to surround the head of the Divinity of holy ...
by J. C. Cooper
Nimbus Halo or Aureole. Originally indicative of solar power and the sun's disk, hence an attribute of sun gods. Also symbolizes divine radiance and power composed of the fire and gold of solar or divine ...
by Everett Ferguson
The nimbus, perhapsoriginally a protectivedevice for statues, becamesymbolic of divinityduring theHellenistic period.Itis found in Greco-Romanmosaics depicting Jupiter, Apollo, Venus, and other gods or demigods. The earliest extant ...
by Paul Dickson
Nimbus ( meteorological satellite). Second-generation research satellite following the first meteorological satellite series, Tiros. Nimbus 1 was launched August 28, 1964, and ...
Catholic Dictionary, Revised (2002)
by Peter Stravinskas
Nimbus (NIHMbuhs): (Latin: cloud) The artistic depiction of a person's holiness, usually represented by a round white or gold image above the head of a saintly person. The nimbus is often called the “halo”; Mary and the saints often have a ...
by Jack Tresidder
Nimbus A cloudy radiance surrounding the head or figure, symbolizing divine energy, sanctity or power. Stylized forms of radiance used in Christian iconography include the arched or circular halo, the rayed aureole and the almondshaped ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nimbus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Nimbus
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: James Yuhsin Wu
Photo credit: bovinity
Sky at Badrinath
Photo credit: Dash - Dot
Brett tried several beers from this local brewery.
Photo credit: sonyaseattle
Photo credit: aria9
Photo credit: sillygwailo
- Glucosulus nimbus
Photo credit: Mon Œil
- Nimbus IV
- Nimbus Tuesdays
Look closely. Get a sense of scale
Photo credit: Oslo In The Summertime
- Mitsubishi Nimbus
Available on Wikimedia Commons
Photo credit: Everyone Sinks Starco (using album)
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Nimbus
Video shows what nimbus means. A circle of light; a halo.. A gray rain cloud.. nimbus synonyms: halo. Nimbus Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Nimbus!
Quotes about Nimbus
Scrabble value of N1I1M3B3U1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine