The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun noesis:
On this page:
Definition of the noun noesis
What does noesis mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: noeses
- the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonyms of noesis: cognition / knowledge
- more generic term: psychological feature = a feature of the mental life of a living organism
- more specific terms:
- psyche / brain / head / mind / nous = that which is responsible for one's thoughts, feelings, and conscious brain functions
- place = an abstract mental location
- general knowledge / public knowledge = knowledge that is available to anyone
- episteme = the body of ideas that determine the knowledge that is intellectually certain at any particular time
- ability / power = possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
- inability = lack of ability (especially mental ability) to do something
- lexis = all of the words in a language
- mental lexicon / vocabulary / lexicon = a language user's knowledge of words
- practice = knowledge of how something is usually done
- cognitive factor = something immaterial (as a circumstance or influence) that contributes to producing a result
- equivalent = a person or thing equal to another in value or measure or force or effect or significance etc
- cognitive operation / cognitive process / mental process / operation / process = the performance of some composite cognitive activity
- unconscious process / process = a mental process that you are not directly aware of
- perception = knowledge gained by perceiving
- structure = the complex composition of knowledge as elements and their combinations
- cognitive content / mental object / content = the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- information = knowledge acquired through study or experience or instruction
- history = all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing
- mental attitude / attitude = a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways
Alternative definition of the noun noesis
- The consciousness side to duality of noesis and noema.
Who is Noesis?
Noesis is a rapper and record producer.
- also known as Emcee Noesis
- profession: Rapper, record producer
- member of musical group Philadelphia Slick
- read more about Noesis (musical artist)
- "Noesis" is a composition.
- music by Erkki-Sven Tüür
- "Noesis" is a musical album of Blue Six.
- released on (4 years ago)
- Noesis is a domain-specific search engine and open access journal for academic philosophy. The current online version is a prototype release. Noesis may be treated as a sort of clearinghouse for scholarly e-journals in philosophy.
- official website: www.noesis.evansville.edu
- Noesis: In philosophy, noesis means understanding, as the ability to sense, or know something, immediately.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Noesis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Clark Moustakas
The noesis refers to the act of perceiving, feeling, thinking, remembering, or judging — all of which are embedded with...
Noesis is the way in which the what is experienced, the experiencing or act of experiencing, the subject-correlate (p. 43).
Flesh and Body (2014)
On the Phenomenology of Husserl by Didier Franck
Each particular object refers to a horizon that, ultimately, is the world itself; each noesis refers to the entirety of transcendental life. Intentional analysis is an analysis of the transcendental ego inasmuch as it includes and constitutes all possible ...
The Resounding Soul (2016)
Reflections on the Metaphysics and Vivacity of the Human Person by Eric Austin Lee, Samuel Kimbriel
Our words suggest our reasoning, our thinking, nous, noesis, etc., are an almost intuitive understanding of reality.40 Nous is more an organ of mystical union and noesis is a form of a deeper, simpler, contemplative thinking. As already ...
by James L. Marsh
Noesis is a conscious act, noema the content or object of the act. Understanding is to life world as explanation is to system.1 Dialectic of Life-World and System Reacting against an obviously deficient positivism and scientism and objectivism a ...
New Essays on Auto/Biography by Patrick H. Byrne
Quite simply, noesis is a movement ( kinesis) ...
Facts and Values (2012)
Philosophical Reflections from Western and Non-Western Perspectives by M.C. Doeser, J.N. Kraay
But whereas the shift from dianoia to noesis is a shift within the Overarching framework of the intelligible, the transition from dharma to moksha seems more radical and this now has to be elucidated. Even though the word dharmik serves in ...
by R.R. Cox
A particular noesis is a reality, a mental process which occurs at a unique time and is a unique, particular thing itself. The unique noesis, cannot be repeated, duplicated, nor be shared with or occur in another person's mental life; hence, these ...
The Nation (1916)
Noesis means that, on the contrary, every step in a truly mental process is determined by a plan of the whole. Whether we are remembering a piece of music or a series of events, or whether we are engaged in an act of musical or literary ...
by Nicholas Bunnin, Jiyuan Yu
noesis Ancient Greek philosophy, modern European philosophy, philosophy of mind [Greek, variously translated as intellection, intelligence, and understanding; it is cognate with the verb noein and its object to noeton] In a wider sense ...
by Michael Proudfoot, A.R. Lacey
Fora more focussed search, which cuts outmany irrelevant links fromother search sites, Noesis, http://noesis.evansville.edu/, is very useful. Itsearchesfor Philosophy sites, books, texts andreviews in away that minimizes the chancesof including ...
by Ian Buchanan
noesis and ...
by Edward Craig
Noesis. The noema is an abstract structure that can in principle be the same from act to act, in the unlikely case that at two different occasions we should have the same kind of experience of the same object from the same point of view, with ...
by Gregory Claeys
This differentiating unfolding of experience is the source of truth and order in politics and history as it becomes articulate in the lives and work of the great contemplatives from its mythic beginnings through individual philosophers' noesis and ...
by Khosrow-Pour, D.B.A., Mehdi
Moral Intelligence: Elements of Ethics for Cognitive and Moral Agents, Noesis. Travaux du Comité Roumain d' Histoire ...
A Dictionary of Psychology (2015)
by Andrew M. Colman
noesis n. The act or process of *thinking or *perceiving, the functioning of intellect, or the exercise of *reason.
by Edward Craig
Noesis. The noema is an abstract structure that can in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Noesis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Noesis
Video shows what noesis means. The consciousness side to duality of noesis and noema.. Noesis Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
Scrabble value of N1O1E1S1I1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NOESIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Noesis!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Noesis to find many related words and phrases!