Nut appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- tuna nut
- A nut for a jar of tuna.
- No cab, no tuna nut on bacon.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun nut:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun nut
- Definition of the verb nut
- Phrases with Nut
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nut
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nut
- Photos about Nut
- Video language resources about Nut
- Sign language
- Quotes about Nut
- Scrabble value of N1U1T1
- Anagrams of NUT
- Share this page
The word nut is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun nut
What does nut mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- nut: nuts
- Nut: -
- usually large hard-shelled seed
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic word: seed = a small hard fruit
- more specific terms:
- edible nut = a hard-shelled seed consisting of an edible kernel or meat enclosed in a woody or leathery shell
- cembra nut / cedar nut = the seed of the Swiss pine
- cola nut / kola nut = bitter brown seed containing caffein
- mast = nuts of forest trees (as beechnuts and acorns) accumulated on the ground
- palm kernel / palm nut = seed of any oil palm
- nutlet = a small nut
- Egyptian goddess of the sky
- a small (usually square or hexagonal) metal block with internal screw thread to be fitted onto a bolt
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: block = a solid piece of something
- more specific terms:
- hex nut = a nut with a hexagonal shape
- safety nut / locknut = supplementary nut that is screwed down on a primary nut to prevent it from loosening
- square nut = nut with a square shape
- stuffing nut / packing nut = a nut used to tighten a stuffing box
- butterfly nut / wing screw / thumbnut / wing nut / wing-nut = a threaded nut with winglike projections for thumb and forefinger leverage in turning
- part of: nut and bolt = a fastener made by screwing a nut onto a threaded bolt
- half the width of an em
- a whimsically eccentric person
- someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction
- example: a car nut
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of nut: addict / freak / junkie / junky
- more generic words: enthusiast / partisan / partizan = an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity
- more specific term: gym rat = someone who spends all leisure time playing sports or working out in a gymnasium or health spa
- one of the two male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa and secrete androgens
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of nut: ball / ballock / bollock / egg / orchis / testicle / testis
- more generic terms: gonad / sex gland = a gland in which gametes (sex cells) are produced; male reproductive gland = the reproductive organs of a man
- more specific terms:
- part of: male reproductive system = the reproductive system of males; family jewels / male genital organ / male genitalia / male genitals = external male sex organs
- internal spermatic artery / arteria testicularis / testicular artery = a branch of the aorta supplying the testicles
- vena testicularis / testicular vein = a vein from the testicles
- seminiferous tubule = any of the numerous long convoluted tubules in the testis which are the sites where spermatozoa mature
- epididymis = a convoluted tubule in each testis
- rete testis = network of tubules carrying sperm from the seminiferous tubules to the vasa efferentia
- ductus deferens / vas deferens = a duct that carries spermatozoa from the epididymis to the ejaculatory duct
- spermatic cord = a structure resembling a cord that suspends the testis within the scrotum and contains the vas deferens and other vessels and nerves
Alternative definition of the noun nut
- A hard-shelled seed.
- A fastener: a piece of metal, usually square or hexagonal in shape, with a hole through it having machined internal threads, intended to be screwed onto a bolt or other threaded shaft.
- [slang] A crazy person.
- [slang] The head.
- [context: vulgarity, slang, rarely used in the singular] A testicle.
- [context: vulgarity, slang] Semen, ejaculate.
- [US, slang] The amount of money necessary to set up some venture; set-up costs.
- [US, slang] A stash of money owned by an extremely rich investor, sufficient to sustain a high level of consumption if all other money is lost.
- [musical instruments] On string instruments such as guitars and violins, the small piece at the peghead end of the fingerboard that holds the strings at the proper spacing and, in most cases, the proper height.
- [typography slang] En, a unit of measurement equal to half of the height of the type in use.
- An extreme enthusiast (See #3)
- [climbing] A shaped piece of metal, threaded by a wire loop, which is jammed in a crack in the rockface and used to protect a climb. (Originally, machine nuts [sense #2] were used for this purpose.)
- [rft-sense] [poker, only in attributive use] Relating to the nuts, the best possible hand on a given board.
Specialised definition of the noun nut
Glossary of sports / alpinism
a tapered piece of metal that fits into a crack in a rockface to provide protection (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb nut
What does nut mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: nutted, nutting
- gather nuts
- example: In the summer they like to go out and nut
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] The children berry in the summer
Verbs of Change of Possession (with the same syntax): antique, berry, birdnest, blackberry, clam, crab, fish, fowl, grouse, hay, log, mushroom, nest, oyster, pearl, prawn, rabbit, seal, shark, shrimp, snail, snipe, sponge, whale, whelk.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic terms: collect / garner / gather / pull together = assemble or get together
Alternative definition of the verb nut
- [UK, transitive, slang] To hit deliberately with the head; to headbutt.
- [intransitive, slang] To ejaculate (semen).
Nut: A nut is a fruit composed of a hard shell and a seed, which is generally edible. In botany, there is an additional requirement that the shell does not open to release the seed. In a general context, a wide variety of dried seeds are called nuts, but in a botanical context, only ones that include the indehiscent fruit are considered true nuts. The translation of "nut" in certain languages frequently requires paraphrases, as the word is ambiguous.
- also known as Dió, 坚果
- more specific:
"Nut" is a play written by debbie tucker green.
- "Nut" a.k.a. "Nüt…" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Claude
- "Nut" a.k.a. "Nüt …" is a musical single of Claude.
- released in (33 years ago)
Who is Nut?
Nut a.k.a. Chanakul Yambuppha is the contestant of the reality show Dance Your Fat Off.
- read more about Chanakul Yambuppha
Nut is a musical group.
- album: "14 melodias bailables y una que no"
- Nut is a fictional character from the 2012 film Super Salaryman.
- Nut is a fictional character from the 2009 film Slice.
- Nut is a fictional character from the 2007 film Ploy.
- Nut is a fictional character from the 2005 film Art of the Devil 2.
- Nut is a fictional character from the 2013 film Tang Wong.
- Nut a.k.a. Nuts is a fictional character from Magical Angel Sweet Mint.
- read more about Nuts
- Nut is a fictional character appearing in the Marvel Comics universe, based loosely on the Nut of Egyptian mythology.
- Nut is a fictional character from Thai television program Dok Som See Thong.
- Nut: A nut is a type of fastener with a threaded hole. Nuts are almost always used opposite a mating bolt to fasten a stack of parts together. The two partners are kept together by a combination of their threads' friction, a slight stretch of the bolt, and compression of the parts. In applications where vibration or rotation may work a nut loose, various locking mechanisms may be employed: Adhesives, safety pins or lockwire, nylon inserts, or slightly oval-shaped threads. The most common shape is hexagonal, for similar reasons as the bolt head - 6 sides give a good granularity of angles for a tool to approach from, but more corners would be vulnerable to being rounded off. Other specialized shapes exist for certain needs, such as wing nuts for finger adjustment and captive nuts for inaccessible areas.
- The nut of a string instrument is a small piece of hard material that supports the strings at the end closest to the headstock or scroll. The nut marks one end of the vibrating length of each open string, sets the spacing of the strings across the neck, and usually holds the strings at the proper height from the fingerboard. Along with the bridge, the nut defines the vibrating lengths of the open strings.
- Nut: In rock climbing, a nut is a metal wedge threaded on a wire and is used for protection by wedging it into a crack in the rock. Quickdraws are clipped to the nut wire by the ascending climber and the rope threads through the quickdraw. Nuts come in a variety of sizes and styles, and several different brands are made by competing manufacturers. Most nuts are made of aluminum. Larger nuts may be threaded on Dyneema cord instead of wire, but this has become unusual.
- Nut a.k.a. Nung Language: Nùng is a Tai–Kadai language spoken mostly in Cao Bằng and Lạng Sơn provinces in Vietnam. It is also known as Bu-Nong, Highland Nung, Nong, Tai Nung, Tay, and Tày Nùng. Nung is the name given to the various Tai languages of northern Vietnam that are spoken by peoples classified as Nùng by the Vietnamese government.
- also known as Nong, Tay, Highland Nung, Tai Nung, Bu-nong, Tày Nùng, Nung
- Nut: Nuts are an important source of nutrients for both humans and wildlife. Because nuts generally have a high oil content, they are a highly prized food and energy source. A large number of seeds are edible by humans and used in cooking, eaten raw, sprouted, or roasted as a snack food, or pressed for oil that is used in cookery and cosmetics. Nuts are also a significant source of nutrition.
- official website: mrs.cavanaughchocolate.com/gourmet-candy
- Nut is a 2013 theater production of the play by debbie tucker green.
- Nut a.k.a. Niue Time Zone is a time zone.
- Nut a.k.a. nuclear protein in testis is a gene.
Phrases with Nut
Phrases starting with the word Nut:
Phrases ending with the word Nut:
View more phrases with the word Nut in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nut
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Tracy Edwards-Wright
A nut is a hard-shelled indehiscent fruit of some plants. Researchers believe that people who consume nuts regularly are less likely to suffer from coronary heart disease. One study found that people who eat nuts live two or three years longer ...
Physics in the Arts (2011)
Revised Edition by P.U.P.A. Gilbert, Willy Haeberli
(The nut is the far end of the fingerboard, right before the tuning pegs.) Answer: Counting keys on the piano keyboard, the...
Aspects of Behavior, Attitudes, Customs, Language and Social Life by COLUMBUS O. OKOROIKE
Kola nut is a native and product of the African tropical agriculture.
by Richard Lawrence Miller
Areca nut is a popular recreational stimulant relieving tension and producing euphoria, regularly used by perhaps 200 million ...
by Joachim Heller
The physic nut is a drought-resistant species which is widely cultivated in the tropics as a living fence. Many parts of the plants are used in traditional medicine. The seeds, however, are toxic to humans and many animals ...
by Robert B. Costello
nut 1. The dry fruit of a plant. Nuts have a hard outer shell and a ...
Locomotive Dictionary (1916)
Steam Valve Body Cylinder Body Cylinder Cap Steam Valve Piston Piston Ring Piston Nut Piston Spring Union Nut 0-O'OQQOUI-LNN Steam Valve Body Cylinder Body Cylinder Cap Steam Valve Piston Piston Ring Piston Nut Piston Spring ...
by Sana Loue, Martha Sajatovic
NAIR Beachwood, OH, USA The betel nut (more commonly known as the areca nut) is a seed of the areca catechu palm, a tree similar in shape to a coconut tree and found in the rainforests and moist lands of the Pacific Islands, ...
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nut
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Nut
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Nut.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Nut
Click on an item to play that video:
- Nut Meaning
Video shows what nut means. A hard-shelled seed.. A fastener: a piece of metal, usually square or hexagonal in shape, with a hole through it having machined ...
- Brazil nut Meaning
Video shows what brazil nut means. , a tree native to tropical South America.. The nut produced by this tree.. brazil nut synonyms: nigger toe. Brazil nut Meaning.
- Off one's nut Meaning
Video shows what off one's nut means. Insane, crazy.. Off one's nut Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say off one's nut. Powered ...
- Pine nut Meaning
Video shows what pine nut means. The edible seed of any of several species of evergreen pine, especially Pinus pinea, Pinus cembra, and .. Pine nut Meaning.
- Reefer's nut Meaning
Video shows what reefer's nut means. The centre part of a ship's biscuit. This part was compressed and even harder than the rest of the biscuit.. Reefer's nut ...
- Beer nut Meaning
Video shows what beer nut means. A peanut served with its husk (but not its shell).. Beer nut Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Employ a steam engine to crack a nut Meaning
Video shows what employ a steam engine to crack a nut means. To do a simple task in an overcomplicated manner.. Employ a steam engine to crack a nut ...
- Do one's nut Meaning
Video shows what do one's nut means. To become stridently angry, especially from worry.. Do one's nut Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Nut behind the bolt Meaning
Video shows what nut behind the bolt means. The person using a firearm. Shooter.. Nut behind the bolt Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- 95. English lesson. SLANG.TO BUST A NUT | DAWG
Tom Taylor, ESL tutor...
- The True definition of a #nut
- Do Your Nut - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Language Nut Tutorial
- Description of Fruit and Nut Trees at Libelula Center
View more videos about Nut Up, Cap nut, Lug nut, Nut Job, Nut Out, Soy nut, Nut roll, wing nut, Acorn nut, Areca nut, betel nut, Tagua Nut, Vomic Nut, Yowah nut, Barrel nut, cashew nut, castle nut, Clinch Nut, Ginger nut, Nut butter, Nut Huggers, Macadamia nut, Queensland nut, and Sweet As a Nut.
See also the pronunciation examples of Nut!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Nut
A mouse that removes the palm-nut that turns out to be the bait of a trap, would already have known that the palm-nut does not ripen on the ground.
more quotes about nut...
Scrabble value of N1U1T1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NUT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Nut!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Nut to see it in context!