On this page:
Definition of the noun NZEMA
What does NZEMA mean as a name of something?
- Any member of an Akan people of southwestern Ghana and southeast Côte d'Ivoire.
- The language of the Nzema.
- synonym: Appolo
- Nzema a.k.a. Nzema people: The Nzema are an Akan people numbering about 328,700, of whom 262,000 live in southwestern Ghana and 66,700 live in the southeast of Côte d'Ivoire. In Ghana the Nzema area is divided into two electoral districts of Nzema East District and Nzema West, which is also referred to as Jomoro District of Ghana. Their language is also known as Nzima or Appolo.
- read more about Nzema people
- Nzema a.k.a. Nzema Language: Nzema, also known as Appolo, is a Central Tano language spoken by the Nzema people of southwestern Ghana and southeast Ivory Coast. It shares 60% intelligibility with Jwira-Pepesa and is close to Baoule.
- read more about Nzema Language
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Nzema
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Appolonia from the Sixteenth to the Eighteenth Century
Nzema is an area that has been visited and revisited by anthropologists, particularly Italian ones,5 but ignored by historians with very few ...
by David Owusu-Ansah
NZEMA. (Nzima.) Coastal people in the Western Region between the Tano and Ankobra Rivers. Europeans often referred to the area as Apollonia (Apolonia). Ghana's best-known political leader, Kwame Nkrumah, was an ethinic Nzema.
by Mwalimu J. Shujaa, Kenya J. Shujaa
The largest of these groups is the Akan, which itself consists of other separate, independent units such the Nzema, Akyem, Fante, Denkyira, Kwahu, and Asante. Despite its relatively small size, cultural influences from this area have informed ...
Dictionary of Languages (1998)
The Definitive Reference to More Than 400 Languages by Andrew Dalby
Nzema and Ahanta Rubassa ...
An Encyclopedia of Culture and Society by Toyin Falola Ph.D., Daniel Jean-Jacques
Akan includes Twi, Fante, Akuapem, Akyem, Akwamu, Ahanta, Bono, Nzema, Kwahu, and Safwi. Ga-Adangbe contains Ga, Adangbe, Ada, and Krobo. Even the language of the Ewe, which most closely resembles a single linguistic group, can ...
Ethnic and National Groups around the World by James B. Minahan
the Atlantic, forming a number of departments in southeastern Ivory Coast and the Anyi-Nzima (Nzema) region of Ghana. Flag The flag of the Sanwi Kingdom has horizontal stripes of green, yellow, and green with a white fivepointed star on ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Nzema
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Nzema
Anthony Akablay rocks Nzema (Kwame Nkrumah's language) Highlife in Accra.
Scrabble value of N1Z10E1M3A1
The value of this 5-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of NZEMA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Nzema!
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Nzema for some fun with words!