The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun objective:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun objective
- Definition of the adjective objective
- Phrases with Objective
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Objective
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Objective
- Photos about Objective
- Video language resources about Objective
- Quotes about Objective
- Scrabble value of O1B3J8E1C3T1I1V4E1
- Share this page
The word objective and its family (objectively, objectivity) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun objective
What does objective mean as a name of something?
Objective is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: objectives
- the goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable)
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of objective: aim / object / target
- more generic words: end / goal = the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it
- more specific words:
- the lens or system of lenses in a telescope or microscope that is nearest the object being viewed
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of objective: object glass / object lens / objective lens
- more generic terms: lens / lens system / lense = a transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images
- part of: compound microscope = light microscope that has two converging lens systems: the objective and the eyepiece; optical telescope = an astronomical telescope designed to collect and record light from cosmic sources
Alternative definition of the noun objective
- A material object that physically exists.
- A goal that is striven for.
- [grammar] The objective case; a noun or pronoun in that case.
- The lens or lenses of a camera, microscope, or other optical device closest to the object being examined.
Definition of the adjective objective
What does objective mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more objective / most objective
- undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena
- serving as or indicating the object of a verb or of certain prepositions and used for certain other purposes
- emphasizing or expressing things as perceived without distortion of personal feelings or interpretation
- belonging to immediate experience of actual things or events
- examples: objective benefits | an objective example | there is no objective evidence of anything of the kind
- similar: concrete
Alternative definition of the adjective objective
- of or relating to a material object, actual existence or reality
- antonym: subjective
- agreed upon by all parties present (or nearly all); based on consensually observed facts
- not influenced by irrational emotions or prejudices
- [grammar] of, or relating to a noun or pronoun used as the object of a verb
"Objective" a.k.a. "The Objective" is a 2008 science fiction horror film directed by Daniel Myrick who also directed The Blair Witch Project and Believers, starring Jonas Ball, Matthew R. Anderson, and Michael C. Williams. It premiered in Morocco in April 2008 and in the United States in February 2009.
- countries: Morocco, United States of America
- language: English Language
- genres: Science Fiction, Horror, War film, Supernatural, Psychological thriller, Action Film, Thriller
- released on (6 years ago)
"Objective" is a musical album of Lost Regrets.
- released in (5 years ago)
- Objective a.k.a. Goal setting involves establishing specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted goals. Work on the theory of goal-setting suggests that an effective tool for making progress is to ensure that participants in a group with a common goal are clearly aware of what is expected from them. On a personal level, setting goals helps people work towards their own objectives. Goal setting features as a major component of personal development literature. The word goal is also one of the most recognizable words in management for motivational endeavors.
- read more about Goal setting
- Objective: The educational objective of this standard.
Phrases with Objective
Phrases starting with the word Objective:
Phrases ending with the word Objective:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Objective
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Modern Social Work Theory (2014)
by Director of Psycho-Social and Spiritual Care Malcolm Payne, Malcolm Payne
The world exists independently of human beings, and we can stand outside it and observe it objectively. Being objective means that we can observe it independently of our own feelings and beliefs and we can check that we are right .
Achievement of individual objectives within beyondblue's objectives hierarchy Objective 7: a society that understands and responds to the personal and social impact of depression, and works actively to prevent it and improve the quality of life ...
by Jack C. Richards, Richard W. Schmidt
objective n a goal of a course of instruction. Two different types of objectives may be distinguished. General objectives, or aims, are the underlying reasons for or purposes of a course of instruction. For example, the aims of the ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
amphibious objective area — A geographical area ...
by Roberta Pearson, Philip Simpson
To be an 'objective' reporter—or documentary-maker—means being socialized into obeying certain rituals of naming, describing and framing realities, even if objectivity is self-reflexively posited as an ideal never to be entirely realized in ...
by Gambhir Bhatta
Must objective: Refers to a target that is critical for the organization to attain. A must objective is contrasted with a want objective, which refers to a target that is not a part of the organizational mandate and is not necessary for organizational ...
Encyclopedia of Optimization (2008)
by Christodoulos A. Floudas, Panos M. Pardalos
(referred to in: Bi—objective assignment problem; Decision support systems with multiple criteria; Estimating data for multicriteria decision making problems: optimization techniques; Financial applications of multicriteria analysis; Fuzzy ...
by Rita C Richey
Objective. SEE. INSTRUCTIONAL. OBJECTIVES. On-Line. Behavior. On-line behavior is a Web-based concept used to describe the activity of someone in cyberspace. There are diverse kinds of online behaviors, including surfing, lurking, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Objective
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Objective
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Bitterjug
Photo credit: blackwing_de
- Mobile Objective
Photo credit: sheldonschwartz
- Mobile Objective
Photo credit: sheldonschwartz
- Microscope Objective Specifications
Your quick guide to decipher the specifications of your microscope objective.
Photo credit: ZEISS Microscopy
- How to use an old objective...
Photo credit: Omar.Bariffi
- Mobile Objective
Photo credit: sheldonschwartz
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Objective
Click on an item to play that video:
- Objective Meaning
Video shows what objective means. Of or relating to a material object, actual existence or reality.. Not influenced by the emotions or prejudices.. Based on ...
- There Is No Objective Meaning to Life Without God
- Subjective vs objective meaning
Here Dr.Viktor Frankl,founder of the logotherapy movement discusses the difference between subjective states of meaning (as induced by drugs) and objective ...
- Absolute Proof Life Has No Objective Meaning
- God Is the Best Explanation of Objective Moral Values and Duties In the World
- CompTIA A+ 220-701 Exam Objective - Virus Definition
Have you ever wondered, what is a computer virus? In this free video Will from BeYourOwnIT.com defines a computer virus as defined by the A+ Exam. Be sure ...
- CC daily 66 - M 5.67-75 - Counter falsehood by objective explanation of facts
- ABCD Objective Explanation
- Vip5 - 31 - saying words as if meaning was objective
Four Seasons technical issues devastatingly ignored well except for length.
- If there is ultimate, objective meaning, value and purpose to life then God is necessary
- Addiction & Recovery: Objective & Subjective Meaning
Geoff Thompson, Program Director for Sunshine Coast Health Center, shares Dr. Paul Wong's ideas from The Human Quest for Meaning. In this video, Geoff ...
- Dr. Sanjay Kumar- Being Objective Meaning
- Objective Morality #10: .. the mean of meaning
if a yelp drifts through wilderness, and no one is around hear it, does it have no meaning? ------- Objective Morality #9: ...listen to the inner baboon ...
- Contrast - Objective Meaning
- Objective: Video Vocabulary Challenge
Ms. Timpe's 3rd period Pre-AP English II Class Song: "Dramatic Song" by Toby Turner Starring: Defendant: Caroline Bouwhuis Judge: Calista Greenwood Video ...
- (Broken on inmendham) 533 - Objective Morality #10: .. the mean of meaning
Re-uploaded due to being broke on inmendham. Fuck the DoNotGod termination. Original description: if a yelp drifts through wilderness, and no one is around ...
- Objective morality #4: ... the theory of meaning
responses to part 3...
- AUDITOR DEFINITION,AUDITOR INVESTIGATION OBJECTIVE
Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Objective 6.18 vocabulary
- Auditor definition and the auditor objective
Audit Tutorial Exercise-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Subjective vs Objective Description
Explanation + Examples.
- Aim Goal Target Objective Purpose - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Vocab & Phrases OBJECTIVE, WANT- English Meeting ESL Lesson
Vocabulary Lesson on the words: objective & want. vocabulary is the foundation of learning another language well - these lessons are short but contain a lot of ...
- LO 2 Guidelines for writing a language objective
- ELL Writing a Language Objective
- TPL Main Objective Description
The Main Objective is worth 20 points. Any role can complete the main objective and the attacking team has the full twenty minutes to complete the Main ...
- Twi Language Videos: Learn Twi Objective Pronouns
Learn Twi Objective Pronouns with this video lesson from Nkyea Twi Primer Twi course. To get the whole interactive course...
- English Language: Objective
The objective of this video? To show the power of the word 'objective'.
- TPO 1 : Description objective de comportements canins
- Objective Description of a Subjective Experience - Seven Reveries of Self
[HD] Live @ THE FRY 3/29/13 (FIRST SHOW)...
See also the pronunciation examples of Objective!
Quotes about Objective
We succeed only as we identify in life, or in war, or in anything else, a single overriding objective, and make all other considerations bend to that one objective. (Dwight D. Eisenhower)
more quotes about objective...
Scrabble value of O1B3J8E1C3T1I1V4E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 23 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Objective to see it in context!