On this page:
Definition of the noun obloquy
What does obloquy mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: obloquies
- state of disgrace resulting from public abuse
- a false accusation of an offense or a malicious misrepresentation of someone's words or actions
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of obloquy: calumniation / calumny / defamation / hatchet job / traducement
- more generic words: depreciation / derogation / disparagement = a communication that belittles somebody or something
- more specific terms:
- character assassination / assassination / blackwash = an attack intended to ruin someone's reputation
- vilification / malignment / smear = slanderous defamation
- libel = a false and malicious publication printed for the purpose of defaming a living person
- slander = words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another
- name calling / names = verbal abuse
- epithet / name = a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
Alternative definition of the noun obloquy
- Abusive language
- Disgrace suffered from abusive language
- synonym: opprobrium
- One who denies or disputes
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for obloquy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Pearls of Thought (2017)
by Maturin Ballou
Obloquy is a necessary ingredient in the composition of all true glory. —Burke. The best kind of glory is that which is reflected from honesty, – such as was the glory of Cato and Aristides; but it was harmful to them both, and is seldom beneficial ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
ito that bitter kind of obloquy, whereby we might be upbraided. Hooker. — Here new aspersions, with new obloquies, Arc laid on old deserts. Daniel's Civil IVar. Canst thou with impious ...
In which the Words are Deduced from Their Originals, and Illustrated in Their Different Significations by Examples from the Best Writers. To which are Prefixed a History of the Language, and an English Grammar by Samuel Johnson
subject unto that bitter kind of obloquy, whereby as the churc of Rome doth, under the colour of love towards those things which be harmless, maintain extremely most hurtful corruptions; ...
by Sidney L. Landau
objection obloquy (hing, something, subject, mark, target, butt, article. 2 aim, goal, purpose, objective, end, aspiration, intention, target, design, scheme. ant. 1 nothingness, void, space, illusion, vacuum, shadow. objection n. exception, rebuttal, ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
obloqui, contradict: see obloquy.] Detraction; obloquy. Bailey, 1731. oblocutort (ob-lok'ü-tor), n. [( L. oblocutor, obloquutor, a contradiction, ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1911)
obloqui, contradict: see obloquy.] Detraction ; obloquy. Bailey, 1731. oblocutort (ob-lok'u-tor), ». [< L. oblocutor, obloquutor, a ...
obloqui, contradict: see obloquy.] Detraction; obloquy. Bailey, 1731. oblocutort (ob-lok'ü- tor), n. . [( L. oblocutor, obloquutor, a contradiction, ( obloqui, contradict: see obloquy.
by Bryan A. Garner
invective; vituperation; obloquy; scurrility; billingsgate; vitriol. All these terms refer to shockingly or inappropriately harsh, coarse language directed at someone. Abuse, the broadest, suggests an intemperate person ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for obloquy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video language resources about obloquy
Click on an item to play that video:
- Obloquy Meaning
Video shows what obloquy means. Abusive language.. Disgrace suffered from abusive language.. obloquy synonyms: defamation, insult, opprobrium. Obloquy ...
- Obloquy - Word-A-Week Vocabulary Vlog
Aaron Poole attempts to remind you lovely internet speaking people that there are real words out there still worth using. Hosted...
- Calumny Vs Obloquy Vs Aspersion Vs Opprobrium - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Obloquy
The World's fastest and easiest Movie Dictionary! Intermediate vocabulary available for all people to enjoy! Watch it now...the new learning experience...The Y.K. ...
Scrabble value of O1B3L1O1Q10U1Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 21 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of obloquy to find many related words and phrases!