Occupation appears in the following tongue twister:
- Dr. Johnson and Mr. Johnson, after great consideration, came to the conclusion that the Indian nation beyond the Indian Ocean is back in education because the chief occupation is cultivation.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun occupation:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun occupation
- Phrases with Occupation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Occupation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Occupation
- Photos about Occupation
- Video language resources about Occupation
- Quotes about Occupation
- Scrabble value of O1C3C3U1P3A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Occupation is a member of the word family occupy, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
Definition of the noun occupation
What does occupation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: occupations
- the principal activity in your life that you do to earn money
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of occupation: business / job / line / line of work
- more generic word: activity = any specific behavior
- more specific terms:
- confectionery = the occupation and skills of a confectioner
- sport = the occupation of athletes who compete for pay
- farming / land = agriculture considered as an occupation or way of life
- game / biz = your occupation or line of work
- vocation / calling / career = the particular occupation for which you are trained
- employment / work = the occupation for which you are paid
- appointment = the job to which you are (or hope to be) appointed
- situation / position / billet / office / berth / place / post / spot = a job in an organization
- salt mine / treadmill = a job involving drudgery and confinement
- craft / trade = the skilled practice of a practical occupation
- profession = an occupation requiring special education
- medium / metier = an occupation for which you are especially well suited
- accountancy / accounting = the occupation of maintaining and auditing records and preparing financial reports for a business
- photography = the occupation of taking and printing photographs or making movies
- catering = providing food and services
- the control of a country by military forces of a foreign power
- any activity that occupies a person's attention
- the act of occupying or taking possession of a building
- example: occupation of a building without a certificate of occupancy is illegal
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of occupation: moving in / occupancy
- more generic words: acquiring / getting = the act of acquiring something
- more specific words: preoccupation / preoccupancy = the act of taking occupancy before someone else does
- the period of time during which a place or position or nation is occupied
Alternative definition of the noun occupation
- An activity or task with which one occupies oneself; usually specifically the productive activity, service, trade, or craft for which one is regularly paid.
- The act, process or state of possessing a place.
- The control of a country or region by a hostile army.
- Occupation is a BAFTA Award–winning three part drama serial broadcast by BBC One in June 2009. It was written by Peter Bowker and has been produced by Kudos for BBC Northern Ireland.
- begun on and completed on (6 years ago)
- 3 episodes of 180 or 60 minutes each
- country: United Kingdom
- regular cast:
- genre: Drama
- British Academy Television Award for Best Drama Serial nomination for Derek Wax, Peter Bowker, Nick Murphy & Laurie Borg
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Best Editing - Fiction nomination for Victoria Boydell
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Writer nomination for Peter Bowker
- British Academy Television Award for Best Drama Serial, received by Derek Wax, Nick Murphy, Laurie Borg & Peter Bowker
- Occupation is a TV program.
- begun in (43 years ago)
- regular cast: George Foundas as Giorgos
"Occupation" is a book by Marguerite Cullman.
- also known as "Occupation: angel"
"Occupation" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by David Rovics
Occupation is an Horse.
- occupation a.k.a. Sit-in: A sit-in or sit-down is a form of direct action that involves one or more people occupying an area for a protest, often to promote political, social, or economic change.
- read more about Sit-in
- Occupation: What the character does for a living.
Phrases with Occupation
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Occupation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
and whose occupation is that of a patent attorney. Claude T. Borraidale, who resides at 145 Pinnacle Road, Rochester, N. Y., and whose occupation is that of purchasing agent ...
Detailed Assessment Report on Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism by International Monetary Fund
Casinos classified as “OTC exchange dealers” whose sole occupation is that of an OTC exchange dealer and who are not otherwise licensed by the FIC as a financial institution are required to conduct CDD under Section 15(b) of the MLPCA.
Occupational Hazards (2010)
Success and Failure in Military Occupation by David M. Edelstein
Military occupation is a difficult challenge because both sides—the occupied population and the occupying power—want the occupation to end as quickly as possible, but successful occupation often takes a long time and consumes ...
by Jill Fish
Occupation is the right to live on the property.
9th Pacific-Asia Conference, PAKDD 2005, Hanoi, Vietnam, May 18-20, 2005, Proceedings by Tu Bao Ho, David Cheung, Huan Liu
Introduction Occupation is a very important attribute in sociology.
This classification task by researchers is called occupation coding, which must be conducted immediately and accurately to statistically process occupations data as well as ...
International Law (1920)
A Treatise by Lassa Oppenheim, Ronald Roxburgh
Occupation is the act of appropriation by a Concep- State through which it intentionally acquires sove- oooupl- reignty over such territory as is at...
FILE DATA ELEMENT TITLE TYPE DE NAME DIN LNGTH PAGE Nature of Action Code 2 Obligation Expires Date SEE: Date Obligation Expires Obligation Identification Occupation Code Occupation Skills Group 1 Occupation Skills Group 2 ...
A Lexicon of Economics (2014)
by Kenyon A. Knopf
OCCUPATION TAX A tax levied by government on people engaged in specified occupations.
by John Sundholm, Isak Thorsen, Lars Gustaf Andersson
The part of the working-class boy who takes part in the resistance against the German occupation earned Kaas a Bodil, as well as a Robert, for Best Supporting Actor. From 1994–1998, Kaas studied at the Danish National School of Theater.
Encyclopedia of Texas (2001)
by Nancy Capace
EQUALITY AND UNIFORMITY TAX IN PROPORTION TO VALUE; POLL TAX; OCCUPATION TAXES; INCOME TAX; EXEMPTION OF HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE. Taxation shall be equal and uniform. All real property and tangible personal ...
by William D. Hoover
August: Allied Occupation begins and United States forces arrive in Tokyo and fleet at Yokosuka. President Harry S. Truman approves Initial Post-Surrender Policy for Japan. 30 August: General Douglas MacArthur receives guidelines to ...
Encyclopedia of White Power (2000)
A Sourcebook on the Radical Racist Right by Jeffrey Kaplan
ZIONIST OCCUPATION GOVERNMENT (ZOG) The Zionist Occupation Government discourse is at once the most caricatured and the most characteristic facet of the American radical right wing today. Moreover, the ZOG conception has found ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Occupation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Occupation
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Occupation.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Occupation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Occupation Meaning
Video shows what occupation means. An activity or task with which one occupies oneself; usually specifically the productive activity, service, trade, or craft for ...
- OT 320 - Nature of Human Occupation: Form, Function, and Meaning
Professor Kate Crowley provides an introduction to the Nature of Human Occupation course at USC.
- Mini-Lesson: Lu & Occupation Vocabulary
This mini-lesson teaches the vocabulary word LU and some more on occupation vocabulary. Main Lesson #2...
- Pronunciation of Job & Occupation Vocabulary Word List
Learn how to say words in English correctly with Emma Saying free pronunciation tutorials. Over 140000 words were already uploaded... Check them out!
- Any Occupation Definition
- Vocabulary about occupation
- Occupation English vocabulary
- Own Occupation, Any Occupation and the Change of Definition Point | Share Lawyers Video
David Share, President of Share Lawyers, defines "own occupation", "any occupation", and the change of definition point as it relates to long-term disability ...
- Vocabulary of Occupation
- Microteaching for English Language (Occupation)
Presenter: Kaito & Sam Stage: Practice Topic: Occupation Year: Two The song 'What do you do?' is originated from...
- OSLT - Occupation Specific Language Training
Are you new to Canada? Want to improve your workplace communication skills? If you have training or experience in a particular occupational field, OSLT might ...
- OCCUPATION: BEDROOM ROCKSTAR (re:VERB Ep. 4)
- Occupation - The Auslan Picture Dictionary
This is an Auslan signing video part of the Auslan Picture Dictionary e-book which can be obtained from...
- Career Occupation Description And An Online University
You can fit in continuing education if you pursue an accredited online university. You will be able to review career occupation description after career occupation ...
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Occupation
See also the pronunciation examples of Occupation!
Quotes about Occupation
Scrabble value of O1C3C3U1P3A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Occupation to see it in context!