On this page:
- Definition of the verb occur
- Phrases with Occur
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Occur
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Occur
- Usage statistics about occur
- Photos about Occur
- Video language resources about Occur
- Quotes about Occur
- Scrabble value of O1C3C3U1R1
- Share this page
The word occur and its family (occurred, occurrence, occurrences, occurring, occurs, reoccur, reoccurred, reoccurring, reoccurs) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb occur
What does occur mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: occurred, occurring
- come to pass
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula it [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] It occurred that they left there [Verb] [Theme] There happened a serious accident [Theme] [Verb] A serious accident happened [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] A serious accident happened in front of them [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] In front of them happened a serious accident
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of occur: come about / fall out / go on / hap / happen / pass / pass off / take place
- more specific terms:
- recrudesce / develop / break = happen
- come up / arise = result or issue
- result = come about or follow as a consequence
- intervene = occur between other event or between certain points of time
- transpire = come about, happen, or occur
- give = occur
- supervene = take place as an additional or unexpected development
- proceed / go = follow a certain course
- come = come to pass
- fall = occur at a specified time or place
- anticipate = be a forerunner of or occur earlier than
- develop = be gradually disclosed or unfolded
- repeat / recur = happen or occur again
- come off / go over / go off = happen in a particular manner
- come around / roll around = happen regularly
- materialise / materialize / happen = come into being
- bechance / befall / happen = happen, occur, or be the case in the course of events or by chance
- bechance / befall / betide = become of
- coincide / concur = happen simultaneously
- backfire / backlash / recoil = come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect
- chance = be the case by chance
- break = happen or take place
- strike / shine / fall = touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
- turn out = prove to be in the result or end
- contemporise / contemporize / synchronise / synchronize = happen at the same time
- come to one's mind; suggest itself
- to be found to exist
- examples: sexism occurs in many workplaces | precious stones occur in a large area in Brazil
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- more generic terms: appear / come along = come into being or existence, or appear on the scene
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb occur
- To happen or take place
- To present or offer itself
- To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.
- [sciences] To be present or found.
"Occur" is a musical album of Taylor Deupree.
- released on (14 years ago)
"Occur" is a book by Wayne Oakes.
- also known as "Occur: poems"
Phrases with Occur
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Occur
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David A. Porter, Kenneth E. Easterling, Mohamed Sherif
One of the most fundamental processes that controls the rate at which many transformations occur is the diffusion of atoms. The reason why diffusion occurs is always so as to produce a decrease in Gibbs free energy. As a simple illustration of ...
Brain Repair (2007)
by Mathias Bähr
However, the most important requirement for regeneration of the injured axons to occur is the survival of the nerve cell body and its capacity to induce gene expression leading to axonal regrowth and reinnervation of the original targets ( for a ...
Converging Worlds (2013)
Communities and Cultures in Colonial America by Louise A. Breen
Why and how this did in fact occur is a question that has occupied historians ever since the American Revolution.
Hidden World (2010)
by Jason Robert
reason earthquakes occur is that a root needs to be moved. Think of it as a total reorganization. Many earthquakes will be triggered when the treasure leaves the particular root. If it doesn't happen in due time or if it happens in a location of ...
CNS Regeneration (2011)
Basic Science and Clinical Advances by Jeffrey Kordower, Mark H. Tuszynski
As stated in our first edition, the dogma that regeneration in the central nervous system cannot occur is a myth and there are currently more examples of this fact than ever.
Liquid Crystals (1992)
by Sivaramakrishna Chandrasekhar
3' An essential requirement for mesomorphism to occur is that the molecule must be highly geometrically anisotropic in shape, like a rod or a disc. Depending on the detailed molecular structure, the system may pass through one or more ...
Volume I: Adult Clinical Applications Volume II: Child Clinical Applications Volume III: Educational Applications by Michel Hersen
For example, stimulus generalization is said to occur when an unassertive and shy child is taught by a therapist to be more...
Volume 39 - Supplement 24 - Entity Identification to Virtual Reality in Driving Simulation by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
INTRODUCTION It is intuitively easy to understand what is meant by inequality measures, because applications occur in very sensitive situations: rich versus poor persons or countries, high productivity versus low productivity (in various ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Occur
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about occur
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb occur:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb occur:
Photos about Occur
Click on an item to view that photo:
Attn Moshing may occur
Photo credit: Dave Linger
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Occur
Click on an item to play that video:
- How does Earthquake occur with explanation - Social Science 3D animation video in
This is a social science video that answers - What is earthquake? - How does earthquake occur? - What are the different types of waves? An unexpected ...
- Occur Meaning
Video shows what occur means. To happen or take place.. To present or offer itself.. To come or be presented to the mind; to suggest itself.. Occur Meaning.
- Vocabulary - "Occur", "Pack" & "Raise"
- Vocabulary (Dramatization may occur)
Created on January 14, 2012 using FlipShare.
See also the pronunciation examples of Occur!
Quotes about Occur
Scrabble value of O1C3C3U1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Occur to see it in context!