The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun offset:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb offset:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun offset
- Definition of the verb offset
- Phrases with Offset
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Offset
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Offset
- Photos about Offset
- Video language resources about Offset
- Quotes about Offset
- Scrabble value of O1F4F4S1E1T1
- Anagrams of OFFSET
- Share this page
The word offset and its family (offsets, offsetting) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun offset
What does offset mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: offsets
- the time at which something is supposed to begin
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonyms of offset: beginning / commencement / first / get-go / kickoff / outset / showtime / start / starting time
- more generic terms: point / point in time = an instant of time
- more specific terms:
- a compensating equivalent
- a horizontal branch from the base of plant that produces new plants from buds at its tips
- a natural consequence of development
- a plate makes an inked impression on a rubber-blanketed cylinder, which in turn transfers it to the paper
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of offset: offset printing
- more generic terms: printing / printing process = reproduction by applying ink to paper as for publication
- more specific terms:
- structure where a wall or building narrows abruptly
Alternative definition of the noun offset
- [anchor, 1]Anything that acts as counterbalance; a compensating equivalent.
- [anchor, 2][context: international trade] A form of countertrade arrangement, in which the seller agrees to purchase within a set time frame products of a certain value from the the buying country. This kind of agreement may be used in large international public sector contracts such as arms sales.
- [anchor, 3][obsolete, c. 1555] A time at which something begins; outset.
- [anchor, 4]A printing method, in which ink is carried from a metal plate to a rubber blanket and from there to the printing surface.
- [anchor, 5][programming] The difference between a target memory address and a base address.
- [anchor, 6]The distance by which one thing is out of alignment with another.
Definition of the verb offset
What does offset mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
- compensate for or counterbalance
- make up for
- example: His skills offset his opponent's superior strength
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of offset: cancel / set off
- more generic words: balance / equilibrate / equilibrise / equilibrize = bring into balance or equilibrium
- more specific words: counterbalance / countervail / counteract / neutralize = oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions
- cause (printed matter) to transfer or smear onto another surface
- create an offset in
- produce by offset printing
Alternative definition of the verb offset
- To compensate for something.
- Offset a.k.a. Luke Slater is an English electronic musician, DJ and record producer, who has concentrated on techno since the beginning of the 1990s.
- read more about Luke Slater
- Offset is a member of hip hop group Migos.
- also known as Kiari Cephus
- profession: Rapper, musician
- member of musical group Migos since
"Offset" is a 2006 Drama directed and written by Didi Danquart. It was filmed in Bucharest.
- countries: Germany, Romania, Switzerland, France
- languages: Romanian Language, German Language, French, English Language
- producer: Ada Solomon
- executive producer: Boris Michalski
- production design by Urs Beuter
- art direction by Urs Beuter
- written by Didi Danquart, Cristi Puiu, Răzvan Rădulescu
- Felix Klare as Stefan
- Răzvan Vasilescu as Nicu Iorga
- Alexandra Lara as Brindusa Herghelegiu
- Manfred Zapatka as Herr Fischer
- Katharina Thalbach as Frau Fischer
- Bruno Cathomas as Peter Gross
- Ioana Abur as Christina
- Valentin Plătăreanu as Herr Herghelegiu
- Anna Stieblich as Iris
- Doru Ana as Worker
- Doru Ana as Guest
- Andreea Bibiri as Wedding shop sales girl
- Aura Calarasu as Secretary Wedding House
- Marius Chivu as Bodyguard Florin
- Antoaneta Cojocaru as Nurse
- casting by Didi Danquart
- cinematography by Johann Feindt
- edited by Nico Hain
- music by Klaus Buhlert
- costume design by Bettina Marx
- location: Bucharest
- genre: Drama
- released on (9 years ago)
- official website: www.offset-derfilm.de
"Offset" is a musical album of theOffset.
- released on (17 years ago)
- Offset: In computer science, an offset within an array or other data structure object is an integer indicating the distance from the beginning of the object up until a given element or point, presumably within the same object. The concept of a distance is valid only if all elements of the object are the same size.
- Offset: In botany and horticulture, an offset is a small, virtually complete daughter plant that has been naturally and asexually produced on the mother plant. They are clones, meaning that they are genetically identical to the mother plant. In the plant nursery business and gardens, they are detached and grown on in order to produce new plants. This is a cheap and simple process for those plants that readily produce offsets as it does not usually require specialist materials and equipment.
- Offset: Innpress er avstanden mellom senterlinjen på en felg og anleggsflaten på hjulnavet. Innpresset oppgis i millimeter, og omtales ofte under betegnelsen ET. Innpresset er positivt når anleggsflaten på navet ligger lenger ut fra bilen enn senterlinjen, hvilket er tilfellet på de fleste personbiler.
- Offset: An offset in law, is a reduction in the amount of a judgment granted to a losing party based on debts owed by the prevailing party to the losing party. For example, if an employee successfully sued an employer for wrongful termination, the employer might be entitled to an offset if the employer could demonstrate that it had previously made an overpayment to that employee which had not been returned. A party may similarly be entitled to an offset where it can demonstrate that the prevailing party has already received compensation for its injuries through insurance, a judgment against another party liable for those injuries, or some other source.
- Offset is a comic book character.
Phrases with Offset
Phrases starting with the word Offset:
Phrases ending with the word Offset:
Other phrase containing the word Offset:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Offset
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Inland Printer (1918)
Basically, offset is a refinement of lithography and was developed The booklet puts forth some convincing arguments,
Blender Foundations (2013)
The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.5 by Roland Hess
The great thing about modeling with Relative Offset is that you don't have to worry about the exact dimensions of your arrayed model. As you change the...
by Michael Blundell, Damian Harty
Steering offset Steering offset is a fairly general term that has specific meanings when considering the steering system of a finite track vehicle. It is the lateral distance...
the complete reference. The MPI-2 extensions
offset: An offset is a position in the file relative to the current view, expressed as a count of etypes.
by Pagani, Margherita
The burst offset is the interval of time, at the source node, between the processing of the first bit of the setup message and the transmission of the first bit of the data burst. Each control packet contains routing and scheduling information and is ...
by Joe Wisniewski, R. Neil Sampson
Carbon offset means that producers of CO2 (eg., nations dependent on fossil fuels; industries producing automobiles) would pay a fee to be used to promote forest growth, thus using trees to sequester C from the atmosphere. While the idea of ...
Take Your Eye Off the Ball (2010)
How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look by Pat Kirwan
Bradshaw lined up offset is a threat to run the draw or swing out of the backfield into the flat, where an outside linebacker or a corner has to cover him. Those Reggie Bush—type hybrid backs create matchup problems for defenses because ...
Modern Circuit Placement (2007)
Best Practices and Results by Gi-Joon Nam, Jingsheng Jason Cong
· xfinal where position offset is the distance from the original position to the final position, wire length change is the change in wire length caused by moving the cell (that can be ...
Diode Lasers (2004)
by D. Sands
Such high Al content alloys can be grown without difficulty because of the lattice match, and the large band offset is a particular advantage. In other materials systems, however, the introduction of strain and non-radiative defects limit the ...
by albert l. clough
Offset (n.) — In general, a bend , or angle in a generally straight mechanical part, which causes a portion of it to lie out of alignment with, but generally parallel to, the remainder of the part. Speciftcally : In a motor, the perpendicular distance ...
CAD/CAM Dictionary (1985)
Tolerance stack-up: Tool length offset: Track ball : A CAD graphics input device consisting of. Token: A special message used in LANs to grant permission for a station to transmit. In a ring network the token circulates continously; in a bus it ...
by James T. Frane
Offset. studs. A method of framing in which studs are staggered so that drywall panels on each side of a wall are fastened to a different set of studs. This is done by installing 2x4 studs on a 2 x 6 base plate in such a manner that alternating ...
by Renat Perelet, Pamela Mason, Anil Markandya, Tim Taylor
plant to offset any expected increases in emissions from the new facility. Thus, netting relies on internal trade within a plant. This system is intended to provide greater flexibility in meeting environmental standards. If a firm is not able to comply ...
by Cambridge University Press
mow mowed mowed, mown offset offset offset outdo outdid outdone outgrow outrun outgrew outran outgrown outrun overcome overcame overcome overdo overdid overdone overeat overate overeaten overhang overhear overhung overheard ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Offset
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Offset
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: hermzz
Photo credit: Brett L.
A door in Rome
Photo credit: bennovakovic
Photo credit: Lachlan Hardy
Trying to get funky on your ass by offsetting the focus.
Photo credit: Si Jobling
- Offset II
Photo credit: St0rmz
Trip to Venice.
Photo credit: Valerio "Dokka" D'Introno.
View more pictures about Offset printing.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Offset
Click on an item to play that video:
- Offset Meaning
Video shows what offset means. Anything that acts as counterbalance; a compensating equivalent.. A form of countertrade arrangement, in which the seller ...
- Lecture 18 - ADC Terminology, Offset and Gain Error, Differential Nonlinearity (DNL).
Video Lecture Series by IIT Professors ( Not Available in NPTEL) "VLSI Data Conversion Circuits" By Prof. Nagendra Krishnapura and Prof.Shanthi Pavan For ...
- SolidWorks Simulation: Offset Definition of Shell Elements
The offset direction of a shell element is assigned in a Simulation study to define the location of the material. Checking the shell mesh and offset settings will ...
- The Animation Replicator with Offset - detailled explanation
In this video tutorial Frederik Steinmetz explains the many functions and uses of his brand new Blender Addon: the Animation Replicator with Offset, which you ...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = For industrial offset
- Tennessee: Titans determined to have offset language in quarterback Marcus Mariota's contract
Tennessee: Titans determined to have offset language in quarterback Marcus Mariota's contract.
- Rapoport: Mariota contract being held up by offset language
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota's contract being held up by offset language.
- Option Tips - Language: 3rd Party Offset
See also the pronunciation examples of Offset!
Quotes about Offset
The theoretical broadening which comes from having many humanities subjects on the campus is offset by the general dopiness of the people who study these things... (Richard Phillips Feynman)
more quotes about offset...
Scrabble value of O1F4F4S1E1T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine