Option appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Put idle hips’ agitators so tidily on natal life-rafts in a tasteless option: no IT posse let satanist fare fill a tannoy lid I toss rot at," I gasp, "I held it up!"
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun option:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun option
- Definition of the verb option
- Phrases with Option
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Option
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Option
- Photos about Option
- Video language resources about Option
- Quotes about Option
- Scrabble value of O1P3T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of OPTION
- Share this page
The word option and its family (optional, options) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun option
What does option mean as a name of something?
Option is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: options
- the right to buy or sell property at an agreed price; the right is purchased and if it is not exercised by a stated date the money is forfeited
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- more generic terms: derivative / derivative instrument = a financial instrument whose value is based on another security
- more specific terms:
- naked option = a put or call option for which the seller or buyer has no underlying security position
- covered option = a put or call option backed by the shares underlying the option
- call option / call = the option to buy a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
- put option / put = the option to sell a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
- straddle = the option to buy or sell a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
- incentive stock option / incentive option = an option granted to corporate executives if the company achieves certain financial goals
- stock option = the right to buy or sell a stock at a specified price within a stated period
- lock-up option = an option to buy the crown jewels offered to a white knight in order to forestall a hostile takeover
- one of a number of things from which only one can be chosen
- example: what option did I have?
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of option: alternative / choice
- more generic terms: deciding / decision making = the cognitive process of reaching a decision
- more specific terms:
- obverse = the more conspicuous of two alternatives or cases or sides
- preference / druthers = the right or chance to choose
- default option / default = an option that is selected automatically unless an alternative is specified
- possible action / possibility / opening = a possible alternative
- impossible action / impossibility = an alternative that is not available
- Hobson's choice = the choice of taking what is offered or nothing at all
- soft option = an easier alternative
- the act of choosing or selecting
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of option: choice / pick / selection
- more generic word: action = something done
- more specific words:
- casting = the choice of actors to play particular roles in a play or movie
- colouration / coloration = choice and use of colors
- sampling = the selection of a suitable sample for study
- determination / conclusion / decision = the act of making up your mind about something
- volition / willing = the act of making a choice
- election = the act of selecting someone or something
- balloting / ballot / voting / vote = a choice that is made by counting the number of people in favor of each alternative
Alternative definition of the noun option
- One of the choices which can be made.
- The freedom or right to choose.
- synonym: choice
- [finance] A contract giving the holder the right to buy or sell an asset at a set strike price; can apply to financial market transactions, or to ordinary transactions for tangible assets such as a residence or automobile.
- synonym: possibility
Definition of the verb option
What does option mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: optioned | optioning | options
- To purchase an option on something.
"Option" is a composition.
- music by Norio Hanzawa
- Option: In the film industry, an option is a contractual agreement between a potential film producer such as a movie studio, a production company or an individual, and a writer or third party who holds ownership of a screenplay. The agreement details the exclusive rights including the specified time period and financial obligations. The producer has to advance the essential elements, such as financing and/or talent, towards the creation of a film based on the screenplay.
- Option is an automotive magazine founded by Daijiro Inada in 1981, to meet the demand for enthusiasts of modified Japanese cars in Japan.
- official website: www.sun-a.com/option
- Option was a music magazine based in Los Angeles, California.
- Option: An option, when purchasing aircraft, allows an airline to purchase additional aircraft in the future at an agreed price and date.
Phrases with Option
- Option Button
- put option
- call option
- soft option
- Zero Option
- local option
- naked option
- stock option
- covered option
- default option
- lock-up option
- American Option
- Bermudan Option
- European Option
- incentive option
- Time Sharing Option
- Credit default option
- incentive stock option
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Option
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Tan Chwee Huat, Kwan Kuen-Chor
An option is a contract which can exist in several forms and can relate to a variety of assets including shares, foreign currencies, commodities, interest rate futures, stock indices, and Treasury bill futures. In this case, for the privilege of taking ...
Real Options Analysis (2002)
Tools and Techniques for Valuing Strategic Investments and Decisions by Johnathan Mun
Definitions An option is a contract that gives the owner/holder the right but not the legal obligation to conduct a...
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 26, Internal Revenue, PT. 50-299, Revised as of April 1, 2011 (2011)
by Office of the Federal Register (U S )
A permissible annuity distribution option is an annuity contract (or, in the case of annuity distributions from a defined benefit plan, a distribution option) which specifically provides for distributions which, if made as provided, would for every ...
Code of Federal Regulations (2006)
A permissible annuity distribution option is an annuity Contract (Or, in the case of annuity distributions from a defined benefit plan, a distribution option) which specifically provides for distributions which, if made as provided, would for every ...
Corporate Finance (2016)
by Robert J. Rhee
OPTIONS A call option is a contract wherein an issuer (or writer) sells for a premium an option giving the holder the right,
A qualified covered call option is any option you grant to purchase...
by Moorad Choudhry
An option is a contract between two parties. The buyer...
The expiry date of an option is the last day on which it may be exercised. Options...
Dynamics of FDI and Human Capital Flows by Roberta Capello, Tomaz Ponce Dentinho
The first option is the national firm: the firm concentrates its production in a single plant located in the home country and supplies foreign countries through exports. In this case, there is no FDI and there is trade in consumer goods. This case ...
Real Options in Practice (2003)
by Marion A. Brach
An option is the act of choosing, the power of choice, or the freedom of alternatives. The word comes from the...
An option is a right, but not an obligation , for example, to follow through on a business decision. In the financial...
Trade Like a Pro (2009)
15 High-Profit Trading Strategies by Noble DraKoln
The at-the-money option is an essential component.
Since one side of the synthetic option is the actual asset, delta does not play a factor when the synthetic option moves into-the-money.
Operator's Manual (1988)
Fire Direction Center, Artillery, OA-8389/GSG-10(V) (battalion) (NSN 7010-01-017-7039).. Maintenance instructions
The RETRY option means that the operator should rerun the fault detection test using the SYS;MDS message. The REC0NFIGURE option means that an alternate mode operation should be initiated. The CALL FI option means that the ...
The Two Americas (2005)
Our Current Political Deadlock and How to Break It by Stanley B. Greenberg
The third option is the Corporate Frame, and it centers the election around the core corporate, business identity of the...
fifth option is a strategy of Reassurance, emphasizing from the outset confidence-building positions on issues such as ...
by You-lan Zhu, Xiaonan Wu, I-Liang Chern, Zhi-zhong Sun
A lookback option is a contract whose payoff depends on the maximum or minimum stock price reached during the life of the...
by Stefano Fiorenzani, Samuele Ravelli, Enrico Edoli
Since the option is an insurance, or a bet, on the underlying, either the buyer or the seller will make some profits or losses...
Thus, an option is a right without an obligation to use the right. As we mentioned in the last chapter, options are derivative instruments which have become popular in finance. Options are primarily used to cover the risk of unwanted or uncertain ...
by Francisco Saez de Adana
The first option is a simplification of the modeling using canonical structures to simplify the geometric treatment associated with the...
by William J. Raynor
Option. Hedge. Buying and selling forward and futures contracts is not the same as exchanging things of value, such as currencies. For example, assume that you "buy" 10 futures contracts of Canadian dollars at the market, which represents ...
by Greg N. Gregoriou
It refers to the volatility of a security, or another financial instrument underlying an option or financial instrument with embedded optionality, that is, given a particular theoretical option-pricing model, implied by the market price of the respective ...
Volume 5 - Debuggers and Debugging Techniques to Electron Beam Lithography by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
A "splicing" option is also available whereby the user can specify an initial " coarse" interval DELXI and a final desired interval DELXF < DELXI. The user then selects real-valued parameter SPLICE > 1 such that after a complete solution over all ...
by Gary L. Gastineau, Mark P. Kritzman
Also called Portfolio Currency Protection Option (PCPO). Compare with Quantity Adjusting Option (QUANTO) (l). Equity-Linked Note (ELN): A security that combines the characteristics of a zero- or low-coupon bond or note with a return ...
by Jae K. Shim, Michael Constas
CALL OPTION See CURRENCY OPTION; OPTION. CANADIAN VENTURE EXCHANGE Canadian Venture Exchange (CDNX) is a product of the merger of the Vancouver and Alberta stock exchanges. The objective of CDNX is to provide ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Option
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Option
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jodimichelle
Photo credit: david_shankbone
Sometimes what you think is a dead end is really just off the beaten path...or a bunch of thornbushes.
Photo credit: haydnseek
- THE ONLY OPTION
Shot and edited on Galaxy S8 Plus with Adobe Lightroom Mobile
Photo credit: Perry Wilson
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Option
Click on an item to play that video:
- Option Terminology
Video on option terminology.
- Surf Rodz longboard trucks, axle option explanation
Surf Rodz can come with multiple axle options, using 10mm or 8mm bearings. Bothe these will fit conventional wheels. This video explains some of the options ...
- Option Trading Terminology
Learn about option trading terminology in this trading video.
- Terraria Parallax Option Explanation What Parallax Does
This video shows how the Parallax option in Terraria's settings affects the background scrolling.
- Healthy Love: A Workable Definition - Option Institute - Barry Neil Kaufman
- Option terminology
The American Housing Finance System course...
- Expedited DUII Plea Option - Program Explanation Video in Multnomah County, Oregon
Expedited DUII Plea Option - Program Explanation Video This video is an official video provided to you by the Oregon Courts - Oregon Judicial Department.
- Nadex Binary Option Terminology
One of the frustrations in learning a new trading method is learning the terminology. For new binary options trader, their head may be swimming from the new ...
- Buyer Option Explanation - Exit Contract Clause
Buying home tips in Texas, using the Buyer's Option period, Third Party Financing Addedum, etc..
- Option terminology
This video has been updated!
- Option Meaning
Video shows what option means. One of the choices which can be made.. The freedom or right to choose.. A contract giving the holder the right to buy or sell an ...
- Option C Tutorial 1: Option C Vocabulary
- Definition of Option Contract Shares : Business & Personal Finance
- Mathematical Terminology International Moroccan Bac ( English option)
Mathematical terminology for students integrating the Common Core of Moroccan international baccalaureate ( Option: English )
- Ninevah Cards - Bounty and Persian Option Explanation
- Explanation of Rubric for Research Paper Option
Mr. Calderin reviews the rubric for the research paper option and discusses how to get full XP on the assignment.
- Meaning of Option
This video explains what is the meaning of option trading. To...
- Doom/Haggar/She Hulk Reset option with explanation
- Entrima - Terminology explained: Asian option (Energy Trading & Risk Management)
Visit us at...
- Detailed explanation of OmegaT's Remove leading and trailing tags option
When you use OmegaT, you face the following dilemma: either you display all leading and trailing tags, including the ones that you do not need. Or you do not ...
- Multi Language Option for Wordpress Sites - Free Option
This is a really simple and quick way to add multi language option to your wordpress website for free. Just follow the tutorial and you will be good to go. This is ...
- Magnetic Geometry and Coded Materials - Click HD Option & See Vid Description
- Changing Lexmark E360dn Printer Display Language Settings Option
Changing Lexmark E360dn Printer Display Language Settings Option.
- A Description of the Dividend Option Referred to as Paid-Up Permanent Additions : Finance FAQs
- Option Tips - Language: Cash bit Debt bit
- 8 language option Cat talking led alarm clock TOS-C01512
Do you require logo print ? custom packing ? or get a sample? contact us by Skype: trendsofficesupplies, [email protected]
- You Sneeze Like A Kitten! (PAPER JAM DIPPER LANGUAGE OPTION)
It'll be on the DVD guys.
- Option Tips - Language is Key
- Listing Creation: Description Images Option
- Bosch ESI [ tronic ] - Search using Description option
This tutorial video gives you a dicription of searching and taking info about any vehicle using its description option in Bosch ESI[tronic] program.
See also the pronunciation examples of Option!
Quotes about Option
Scrabble value of O1P3T1I1O1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of OPTION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Option!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Option to see it in context!