On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun order lepidoptera
What does order lepidoptera mean as a name of something?
- moths and butterflies
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Lepidoptera
- more generic term: animal order = the order of animals
- member of: class Hexapoda / class Insecta / Hexapoda / Insecta = insects
- lepidopterous insect / lepidopteran / lepidopteron = insect that in the adult state has four wings more or less covered with tiny scales
- family Nymphalidae / Nymphalidae = large beautifully colored butterflies
- family Satyridae / Satyridae = a widely distributed family of butterflies common near the edges of woods
- family Danaidae / Danaidae = small family of usually tropical butterflies: monarch butterflies
- family Pieridae / Pieridae = arthropod family including cabbage butterflies
- family Lycaenidae / Lycaenidae = family of small usually brilliantly colored butterflies
- family Tortricidae / Tortricidae = leaf rollers and codling moths
- family Lymantriidae / Lymantriidae = tussock moths
- family Geometridae / Geometridae = measuring worms
- family Pyralididae / family Pyralidae / Pyralididae / Pyralidae = bee moths; corn borers
- superfamily Tineoidea / Tineoidea = clothes moths; carpet moths
- family Gelechiidae / Gelechiidae = important economic pests
- family Noctuidae / Noctuidae = cutworms
- family Sphingidae / Sphingidae = hawkmoths
- family Bombycidae / Bombycidae = Chinese silkworm moth
- family Saturniidae / Saturniidae = important and widely distributed family of moths including some of the largest insects known
- family Arctiidae / Arctiidae = tiger moths
- family Lasiocampidae / Lasiocampidae = tent caterpillars; eggars
- caterpillar = a wormlike and often brightly colored and hairy or spiny larva of a butterfly or moth
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for order Lepidoptera
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Genetics (2013)
by Robert C. King, Pamela Mulligan, William Stansfield
order Lepidoptera ( moths, ...
1 Order Lepidoptera. Butterflies and Moths...
A Dictionary of General Knowledge, Or, An Explanation of Words and Things Connected with All the Arts and Sciences ; Illustrated with Numerous Wood Cuts (1835)
by George Crabb
The order Lepidoptera contains papilio, the butterfly : sphinx, the hawk-moth; pbahena, the moth. The order Neuroptera contains li- bellula, the dragon-fly; ephemera, the day fly; myrmeleon, the lion-ant, &c. The order Hymenoptera contains ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
of the Neuroptera; the fourth, the order ymenoptera; the fifth, the Neuroptera; the sixth, the class Myriapoda; the seventh, the class Arachnoida; the eighth, ninth, and tenth, the class Crustacea; the eleventh, the order Lepidoptera ; the twelfth, ...
The Encyclopedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information
The order Lepidoptera contains more tou: fifty families, the discussion of whose mutual relationships is given rise to much difference of opinion. The generally receive. distinction is between butterflies or Rhopalocera (Lepidor. with clubbed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for order Lepidoptera
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about order Lepidoptera
Click on an item to view that photo:
Caterpillar (order Lepidoptera), UW Arboretum
Photo credit: benet2006
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about order Lepidoptera
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'order Lepidoptera"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of order Lepidoptera to find many related words and phrases!