The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ornament:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb ornament:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ornament
- Definition of the verb ornament
- Phrases with Ornament
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ornament
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ornament
- Photos about Ornament
- Video language resources about Ornament
- Quotes about Ornament
- Scrabble value of O1R1N1A1M3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of ORNAMENT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ornament
What does ornament mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ornaments
- something used to beautify
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of ornament: decoration / ornamentation
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms:
- adornment = a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
- arabesque = an ornament that interlaces simulated foliage in an intricate design
- architectural ornament = something added to a building to improve its appearance
- beadwork / beading = ornamentation with beads
- bow = a decorative interlacing of ribbons
- brass = an ornament or utensil made of brass
- centerpiece / centrepiece = something placed at the center of something else
- Christmas tree = an ornamented evergreen used as a Christmas decoration
- cockade = an ornament (such as a knot of ribbon or a rosette) usually worn on the hat
- pattern / design / figure = a decorative or artistic work
- embellishment = a superfluous ornament
- finial = an ornament at the top of a spire or gable
- floral arrangement / flower arrangement = a decorative arrangement of flowers
- gimcrackery / falderol / folderal / gimcrack / nonsense / trumpery / frill = ornamental objects of no great value
- gargoyle = an ornament consisting of a grotesquely carved figure of a person or animal
- garnish = any decoration added as a trimming or adornment
- graffiti / graffito = a rude decoration inscribed on rocks or walls
- wall hanging / hanging = decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
- hood ornament = an ornament on the front of the hood of a car emblematic of the manufacturer
- encrustation / incrustation = a decorative coating of contrasting material that is applied to a surface as an inlay or overlay
- inlay = a decoration made by fitting pieces of wood into prepared slots in a surface
- interior decoration / decor = decoration consisting of the layout and furnishings of a livable interior
- pommel / knob = an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger
- lunula = a crescent-shaped metal ornament of the Bronze Age
- moulding / molding = a decorative strip used for ornamentation or finishing
- nailhead = something resembling the head of a nail that is used as an ornamental device
- necklet = decoration worn about the neck (fur piece or tight necklace) as an ornament
- overlay = a layer of decorative material (such as gold leaf or wood veneer) applied over a surface
- rosemaling = a Scandinavian style of carved or painted decoration (as on furniture or walls or dinnerware) consisting of floral motifs
- set decoration = a decoration used as part of the set of a theatrical or movie production
- sgraffito = a ceramic or mural decoration made by scratching off a surface layer to reveal the ground
- spiral / volute = ornament consisting of a curve on a plane that winds around a center with an increasing distance from the center
- sprig = an ornament that resembles a spray of leaves or flowers
- rivet / stud = ornament consisting of a circular rounded protuberance
- tail fin / tailfin / fin = one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile
- tinsel = a showy decoration that is basically valueless
- tracery = decoration consisting of an open pattern of interlacing ribs
- wind chime / wind bell = a decorative arrangement of pieces of metal or glass or pottery that hang together loosely so the wind can cause them to tinkle
- garnish = something (such as parsley) added to a dish for flavor or decoration
Alternative definition of the noun ornament
- An element of decoration.
- A Christmas tree decoration
- [music] A musical flourish that are unnecessary to the overall melodic or harmonic line, but serve to decorate or "ornament" that line.
Definition of the verb ornament
What does ornament mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: ornamented | ornamenting | ornaments
- make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of ornament: adorn / beautify / decorate / embellish / grace
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific terms:
- wreathe = decorate or deck with wreaths
- encrust / incrust / beset = decorate or cover lavishly
- braid = decorate with braids or ribbons
- embroider / broider = decorate with needlework
- stick = cover and decorate with objects that pierce the surface
- illustrate = supply with illustrations
- garland = adorn with bands of flowers or leaves
- fledge / flight = decorate with feathers
- bespangle / spangle = decorate with spangles
- foliate = decorate with leaves
- flag = decorate with flags
- caparison / dress up / barde / bard = put a caparison on
- bead = decorate by sewing beads onto
- pipe = trim with piping
- applique = sew on as a decoration
- paint the lily / gild the lily = adorn unnecessarily
- vermiculate = decorate with wavy or winding lines
- smock = embellish by sewing in straight lines crossing each other diagonally
- hang = decorate or furnish with something suspended
- prank = dress or decorate showily or gaudily
- tinsel = adorn with tinsel
- tart up = decorate in a cheap and flashy way
- stucco = decorate with stucco work
- redecorate = redo the decoration of an apartment or house
- panel = decorate with panels
- bejewel / jewel = adorn or decorate with precious stones
- fillet / filet = decorate with a lace of geometric designs
- scallop = decorate an edge with scallops
- bedizen = decorate tastelessly
- dress ship = decorate a ship with flags
- garnish / dress / trim = decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
- trim = decorate, as with ornaments
- bedight / bedeck / deck = decorate
- festoon = decorate with strings of flowers
- enamel = coat, inlay, or surface with enamel
- inlay = decorate the surface of by inserting wood, stone, and metal
- lacquer = coat with lacquer
- begild / engild / gild = decorate with, or as if with, gold leaf or liquid gold
- illuminate = add embellishments and paintings to
- emblazon / blazon = decorate with heraldic arms
- emblazon / colour / color = decorate with colors
- fringe = adorn with a fringe
- fret = decorate with an interlaced design
- landscape = embellish with plants
- be an ornament to
Who is Ornament?
Ornament a.k.a. Antikatechon is a musician.
Ornament is a musical group.
- album: "Tonight / Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"
Ornament is a record label.
- "Ornament": Ornament is Ornament's first album. Although somewhat basic-sounding now, it displays all the elements of Ornament's sound; heavy use of indie sampling, processed drums, and pop-oriented song structures.
- genre: Electronic music
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Ornament" is the 2010 album by Sasa Kovacevic.
- artist: Saša Kovačević
- released in (5 years ago)
- Ornament: In music, ornaments or embellishments are musical flourishes that are not necessary to carry the overall line of the melody, but serve instead to decorate or "ornament" that line. Many ornaments are performed as "fast notes" around a central note. The amount of ornamentation in a piece of music can vary from quite extensive to relatively little or even none. The word agrément is used specifically to indicate the French Baroque style of ornamentation.
- also known as 裝飾音
- Ornament is a football team formed by HK Gold & Silver Ornament Workers and Merchants General Union in 1948. Although it has more than 60 years of history, it has never competed in Hong Kong First Division League, but has only competed in Hong Kong Second Division League and Hong Kong Third Division League.
Phrases with Ornament
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ornament
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard Glazier
Ornament is the means by which Beauty or Significance is imparted to Utility. It is either Symbolical...
Inventive ornament is that which consists of elements not derived from any natural source ; the Moresque style is a good example of this type.
The Story of Post-Modernism (2012)
Five Decades of the Ironic, Iconic and Critical in Architecture by Charles Jencks
post-modern irony: they let the viewer know that the designer knows that ornament is a free choice to be enjoyed as such. When Modernists complained, ' It always hides a fault in construction', they replied 'That's another good reason to ...
by Paul Heyse
A mile or two from Starnberg, onthe shore of the beautiful lake, stands a plain countryhouse, whose chief ornament is a shady and rather wild little park of beeches and cedars. This stretches from the highwaythat connects ...
Liminal Lights (2014)
by J.M. Bogart
The only ornament is an abandoned soccer ball, which was left out for the winter. It has partially deflated, giving it the same forlorn look as the rest of the space. Of course, the unkempt state of things is not a reflection on the type of parents Jake ...
100 Plates, Including 75 in Full Color by H. Dolmetsch
Painted ornament from Nimroud. 14. Enamelled brick from Khorsabad. PLATE 4. Greek: Ornamental Architecture and Sculpture 1. Doric capital from Paestum ( with painted ornament). 2. Ionic capital from the Erechtheum on the Acropolis, ...
The encyclopedia of ornament (1842)
by Henry Shaw
ORNAMENT. PLATE 1. The Title, taken from a binding in the possession of George Lucy, Esq. of Charlecote, War wickshire. 2.Ante-pendiums, or Altar Cloths of the date of about 1500, taken from churches in Italy. These draperies, generally ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
Epacridaceae Origins: From the Greek kosmos "ornament, decoration, form," kos- meo "to rule, ...
Designed to Suggest Immediately Any Desired Word Needed to Express Exactly a Given Idea; a Dictionary, Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms, Foreign Phrases, Pronunciations, a Copious Correlation of Words, Prepared Under the Supervision of Francis Andrew March ... and Francis Andrew March, Jr by Francis Andrew March
A fioral ornament. Arabesque A fanciful ornament of plant and animal forms. Architecture. The science or art of constructing or building. Arras. A figured ornamental tapestry. Astragal. A small convex molding. Balais (F.). A rose- colored ruby.
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1891)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
Archaic Vessels' decorated with simple line ornament. plants (often seaweeds) and marine animals, such as...
by Joseph Aronson
Certain more or less conventionalized forms used as the basis of ornamental designs are called motifs . Color ornament may be contrast in suriam or it may be applied to a surface in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ornament
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ornament
Click on an item to view that photo:
The lion is making faces at the tourists.
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
Photo credit: Sarah G...
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: baby chau ♥
Photo credit: Bulldog47%,,rotisserie gerbil
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: erix!
Photo credit: [email protected]
Photo credit: mitchell3417
Photo credit: andyrusch
Photo credit: fireflythegreat
A purple glass ball ornament with a white snowflake
Photo credit: seishin17
Photo credit: andyrusch
Photo credit: aliwest44
Photo credit: Jason Pratt
Photo credit: jchapiewsky
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
- Stuffed Ornament:-)
Photo credit: mysza831
- Christmas Ornament
Sherman collects ornaments from everyplace he visits. This one came from Harrods in London, UK.
Photo credit: Tobyotter
- Peace Ornament
Photo credit: John Attebury
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ornament
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ornament Meaning
Video shows what ornament means. An element of decoration; that which embellishes or adorns. A Christmas tree decoration.. A musical flourish that is ...
- The meaning of Christmas ornament
- Sullivans City The Meaning of Ornament for Louis Sullivan Norton Books for Architects
- The Pardoner Ornament and Description
- The Language of Ornament World of Art PDF
View more videos about Hood ornament.
See also the pronunciation examples of Ornament!
Quotes about Ornament
Scrabble value of O1R1N1A1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ORNAMENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ornament!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ornament to see it in context!