On this page:
- Definition of the adjective overboard
- Definition of the adverb overboard
- Phrases with Overboard
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Overboard
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Overboard
- Photos about Overboard
- Video language resources about Overboard
- Quotes about Overboard
- Scrabble value of O1V4E1R1B3O1A1R1D2
- Anagrams of OVERBOARD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective overboard
What does overboard mean as an attribute of a noun?
- excessive; too much
Definition of the adverb overboard
What does overboard mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- to extremes
- example: he went overboard to please his in-laws
- from on board a vessel into the water
- example: they dropped their garbage overboard
Alternative definition of the adverb overboard
- over the edge; especially, off or outside of a boat
"Overboard" is a 1987 American romantic comedy film starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. It was directed by Garry Marshall, produced by Roddy McDowall, and loosely inspired by the 1974 Italian film Swept Away. In turn, Overboard was adapted into the 2006 South Korean television series, Couple or Trouble. In recent years, the film has become popular via cable television and has gained a cult following.
- also known as Tyttö yli laidan
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, French
- producers: Anthea Sylbert & Alexandra Rose
- executive producer: Roddy McDowall
- art direction by James Shanahan & Jim Dultz
- written by Leslie Dixon
- Goldie Hawn as Joanna Stayton
- Kurt Russell as Dean Proffitt
- Edward Herrmann as Grant Stayton III
- Katherine Helmond as Edith Mintz
- Mike Hagerty as Billy Pratt
- Roddy McDowall as Andrew
- Jared Rushton as Charlie Proffitt
- Jeffrey Wiseman as Joey Proffitt
- Brian Price as Travis Proffitt
- Jamie Wild as Greg Proffitt
- Frank Campanella as Captain Karl
- Henry Alan Miller as Dr. Norman Korman
- Frank Buxton as Wilbur Budd
- Carol Williard as Rose Budd
- Doris Hess as Adele Burbridge
- Rielle Hunter
- Goldie Hawn as Annie Proffitt
- casting by Joanne Zaluski
- cinematography by John A. Alonzo
- edited by Sonny Baskin & Dov Hoenig
- music by Alan Silvestri, Randy Newman
- costume design by Wayne Finkelman
- set decoration by Tom Bugenhagen
- genres: Romantic comedy, Romance Film, Screwball comedy, Comedy, Drama
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (28 years ago)
Phrases with Overboard
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Overboard
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Judith Siefring
go overboard be highly enthusiastic. behave immoderately; go too far. The idea behind this idiom is that of recklessly jumping over the side of a ship into the water. throw something overboard abandon or discard something. The idea here is ...
by Donald Launer
MOB an abbreviation for Man Overboard. See also COB MOM the man overboard module is an important item in ...
by Robert Allen
overboard go overboard informal to be excessive in one's enthusiasm or behaviour: based on the image of a person leaping over the side of a ship. Mid 20th cent. Dogs Today 1992 Leo (July 24- Aug ...
A Compendium of Mistakes in Grammar, Usage, and Spelling with commentary on lexicographers and linguists by Robert Hartwell Fiske
Jetsam is cargo thrown overboard to lighten a ship in distress; such material washed ashore; discarded items (“Jetsam was the luggage, furniture and fittings thrown overboard to lighten the ship when it was being shipwrecked”). flounder ...
by John Ayto
outdoors outside oven over overboard overdrive paper paper bag par parade parcel pardon pare. out with someone or something an exhortation to expel or dismiss someone or something unwanted. out with it say what you are thinking.
Intended for the Use of the Public at Large, as Well as of the Profession by Robert Bell, Sir John Skene
Where- goods are thrown overboard for the purpose of lightening a ship daring a storm, the owners both of the ship and of the cstrgo saved ire liable to the owners of the goods thrown out for the common benefit, in a proportion of the loss, The ...
by Jeanne Mager Stellman
On bard vessels injury Entangled in the fishing gear or wire cables, crushing injuries, fall overboard Crushing injuries, fall overboard Cuts from knives or machines, musculoskeletol disorders Wounds from hooks, entangled in the line ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Overboard
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Overboard
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Helgi Halldórsson/Freddi
Photo credit: danbri
Photo credit: nudeboots
Photo credit: Masterbutler
Photo credit: crazyoctopus
- Robot Overboard!
Photo credit: Shyn Darkly
- Lunch Overboard
You might as well have lunch overseas. The cafeteria services on Washington State Ferries have been shut down for the better part of a year!
Photo credit: Jan Tik
- Dog Overboard
Photo credit: Andrea Pokrzywinski
- Grandma Went OVERBOARD
Photo credit: Instant Vantage
- Tony jumps overboard
Photo credit: zboog
View more pictures about Man Overboard.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Overboard
Click on an item to play that video:
- Overboard Meaning
Video shows what overboard means. Outside of a boat, in the water. Overboard Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say overboard.
- When using slang goes overboard
Josh Peck's Vine. When using slang goes overboard. Posted June 2, 2014 19:52:24. View all Vines from Josh Peck on Seenive. Seenive is third-party Vine web ...
- ESL Musings: Ingrid Michaelson - Overboard
- Overboard//Justin Bieber ft. Jessica Jarrel//Check description for sorry//HD + Download//
See also the pronunciation examples of Overboard!
Quotes about Overboard
A fisherman's walk - twa steps and overboard.
more quotes about overboard...
Scrabble value of O1V4E1R1B3O1A1R1D2
The value of this 9-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of OVERBOARD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Overboard!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Overboard to see it in context!