Definition of OverKill
What does OverKill mean?
- the capability to obliterate a target with more weapons (especially nuclear weapons) than are required
- any effort that seems to go farther than would be necessary to achieve its goal
- [literally] A destructive capacity that exceeds that needed to destroy an enemy; especially with nuclear weapons.
- [idiomatic] An unnecessary excess of whatever is needed to achieve a goal.
- [transitive] To destroy something with more (nuclear) force than is required.
- Overkill is an American thrash metal band, formed in 1980 in New Jersey. They have gone through many line-up changes, with singer Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and bassist D.D. Verni remaining from the original lineup. Along with Anthrax, the band is one of the most successful East Coast thrash metal bands. The band has a notable mascot named Chaly, a skeletal bat with a skull-like face, bony wings, and green eyes. Chaly has appeared on most of their album covers.
- Tim Mallare (Drums) between and (12 years)
- Joe Comeau (Vocals) between and (4 years)
- Sebastian Marino (Guitar) between and (4 years)
- D.D. Verni (Backing Vocals) since
- Bobby Ellsworth (Lead vocalist) since
- Rob Cannavino (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Ron Lipnicki (Drums) since
- Dave Linsk (Backing Vocals) since
- Derek Tailer (Backing Vocals) since
- Dan Spitz (Guitar) between and
- Bobby Gustafson (Guitar) between and (9 years)
- Merritt Gant (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Rat Skates (Drums) between and (7 years)
- Sid Falck between and (5 years)
- genres: Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Speed metal, Groove metal
- albums: "The Killing Kind", "Bloodletting", "Coverkill", "Feel the Fire", "From the Underground and Below", "Fuck You and Then Some", "Hello From the Gutter" (disc 1), "Hello From the Gutter", "Horrorscope", "I Hear Black", "Killbox 13", "Necroshine", "ReliXIV", "Taking Over", "The Years of Decay", "Under the Influence", "W.F.O.", "Wrecking Everything", "Wrecking Your Neck: Live", "Immortalis", "Fuck You", "Then and Now", "Power in Black and Then Some", "Overkill", "Live at Wacken Open Air 2007", "Wrecking Everything – An Evening in Asbury Park", "Ironbound", "Extended Versions", "The Electric Age", "6 Songs", "Live From OZ"
- official website: www.wreckingcrew.com
- Overkill a.k.a. Overkill L.A. or SST Overkill is a Hardcore punkband started in 1980 in Los Angeles and which recorded two records on SST Records and some tracks on compilations. The band started as Overkill but they were rechristened Overkill L.A. by SST Records when they re-released their albums in the '90's and SST Overkill when they reunited in 2005.
There are other groups with OverKill in their name, like Urge Overkill.
- Overkill is a fictional character in the various Transformers universes. He is one of the Decepticon Mini-Cassettes.
- Overkill is a character from the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toyline from Hasbro, which has spawned comics and cartoon series. He first appeared in the 1989 G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero incarnation of the series. He also appears in G.I. Joe: Sigma 6.
- occupation: Soldier
- "Overkill" is the second album released by Motörhead, in 1979, and their first for Bronze Records. It peaked at number 24 on the UK charts.
- "Overkill" is a song by Australian band Men at Work. It was released in April 1983 as the second single from their 1983 album Cargo. It was written by lead singer Colin Hay. The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at #28 in April 1983 and peaked at #3 in early June. When it was first released, it was a departure from the typical Men at Work's style of reggae pop. "Overkill" instead had hard-hitting lyrics and blues and roots feel.
- music and lyrics by Colin Hay
- "Overkill" is a song by the band Motörhead. It was released in 7" and 12" vinyl pressings in 1979. It is backed with B-side "Too Late Too Late" which appears on the CD re-issues of the Overkill album. Early copies came with a free "Overkill" badge. The single reached number 39 on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Overkill": Overkill is the first EP recorded by thrash metal band Overkill released in 1984 on Azra/Metal Storm records. The EP is included on the !!!Fuck You!!! And Then Some compilation.
"Overkill" is a vertical scrolling shooter that was developed by Tech-Noir Productions and published by Epic Games and Precision Software Publishing in 1992. The game was designed by Ste Cork, and was Epic's first vertical shooter.
- mode: Single-player video game
- designers: Ste Cork & Tech-Noir Productions
- developers: Tech-Noir Productions, Ste Cork
- genres: Scrolling shooter, Shoot 'em up, Action game
- publisher: Epic Games
- released in (22 years ago)
- Overkill is the use of excessive force or action that goes further than is necessary to achieve its goal. It implies that, while the goal was accomplished, there was collateral damage as a result.
- Overkill was a Marvel UK anthology published during the 1990s, deliberately designed as a Marvel equivalent to 2000AD.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for OverKill
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal (2003)
by Daniel Bukszpan
OVERKILL. Rob Cannevino: guirars (Horrorscope through Wrecking Your Neck); Jot Comeau: guitars \The Killing Kind and later); Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth: vocals: Sid Falck: drums (Under the Influence through Horrorscope): Mcrritt Gant: guitars ...
Companion Encyclopedia of Archaeology (1999)
by Graeme Barker
One explanation for the extinctions is the ' overkill' hypothesis: that new cultures massacred wild animals unused to human ...
Encyclopaedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory (2004)
by Eric Delson, Ian Tattersall, John Van Couvering, Alison S. Brooks
Overkill. The extinction of many groups oflarge mammals at the end ofthe Pleistocene, 11.7 Ka,has engendered spirited debateamong anthropologists. Many view this waveof extinctions as the result of human predation. Others, citing the need ...
Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science, Four-Volume Set (2006)
Martin's Pleistocene Overkill Hypothesis In1967,paleontologist PaulMartinwroteahighly influential chapter entitled 'Prehistoric Overkill' for a book entitled Pleistocene ...
Encyclopedia of Observances, Holidays and Celebrations from MobileReference (2007)
Overkill, Panic Cell, Potentia Animi, Primordial, Reckless Tide, Regicide, Saeko, Samael, Sentenced, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Suffocation, ...
Current Issues in the Analysis of Semitic Grammar and Lexicon II (2006)
Oslo-Göteborg Cooperation 4th-5th November 2005 by Lutz Edzard, Jan Retsö
outright morphological "overkill" with the Gacaz genitive marker -a, as well as the Gacaz feminine plural marker -at and the Amharic plural marker -occ, comparable to an Arabic gamc al-gamc (16d-e) or even a gamc al- gamc al-gamc (16f):18 ...
The Everything Large-Print Crossword Dictionary (2010)
Finding a solution has never been easier! by Charles Timmerman
sadd Promo 6 teaser Promo overkill 4 hype Promontory 4 ness Promote 4 sell ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen Reevy, Yvette Malamud Ozer, Yuri Ito
Nihilistic hate is considered overkill, or out of proportion to acts that are committed out ofa desire to restore order or justice (e.g., redress). For example, destructive, violent acts such as extreme forms of road rage (e.g., pursuing or shooting ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for OverKill
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about OverKill
Some Newtown parents are way too paranoid...
Photo credit: mossimoinc
SYMS -- (apparently) more than just an important MATLAB command.
Photo credit: CarbonNYC
- Overkill - Nissan Skyline 350 GT
Photo credit: daveoflogic
Scrabble value of O1V4E1R1K5I1L1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of OverKill to find many related words and phrases!