Definition of the noun overkill
What does overkill mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: overkills
- the capability to obliterate a target with more weapons (especially nuclear weapons) than are required
- any effort that seems to go farther than would be necessary to achieve its goal
Alternative definition of the noun overkill
- [literally] A destructive capacity that exceeds that needed to destroy an enemy; especially with nuclear weapons.
- [idiomatic] An unnecessary excess of whatever is needed to achieve a goal.
Definition of the verb overkill
What does overkill mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: overkilled | overkilling | overkills
- [transitive] To destroy something with more (nuclear) force than is required.
Overkill is an American thrash metal band, formed in 1980 in New Jersey. They have gone through many line-up changes, with singer Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and bassist D.D. Verni remaining from the original lineup. Along with Anthrax, the band is one of the most successful East Coast thrash metal bands. The band has a notable mascot named Chaly, a skeletal bat with a skull-like face, bony wings, and green eyes. Chaly has appeared on most of their album covers.
- also known as 趕盡殺絕
- Bobby Ellsworth (Lead vocalist) since
- Bobby Gustafson (Guitar) between and (9 years)
- D.D. Verni (Bass) since
- Dan Spitz (Guitar) between and
- Dave Linsk (Lead guitar) since
- Derek Tailer (Backing Vocals) since
- Joe Comeau (Guitar) between and (4 years)
- Merritt Gant (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Rat Skates (Drums) between and (7 years)
- Rob Cannavino (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Ron Lipnicki (Drums) since
- Sebastian Marino (Guitar) between and (4 years)
- Tim Mallare (Drums) between and (12 years)
- Sid Falck between and (5 years)
- Derek Tailer since
- Rob Cannavino between and (6 years)
- Sebastian Marino between and (5 years)
- Bobby Gustafson between and (8 years)
- Tim Mallare between and (13 years)
- Dan Spitz in
- genres: Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Speed metal, Groove metal
- albums: "The Killing Kind", "Bloodletting", "Coverkill", "Feel the Fire", "From the Underground and Below", "Fuck You and Then Some", "Hello From the Gutter" (disc 1), "Hello From the Gutter", "Horrorscope", "I Hear Black", "Killbox 13", "Necroshine", "ReliXIV", "Taking Over", "The Years of Decay", "Under the Influence", "W.F.O.", "Wrecking Everything", "Wrecking Your Neck: Live", "Immortalis", "Fuck You", "Then and Now", "Power in Black and Then Some", "Overkill", "Live at Wacken Open Air 2007", "Wrecking Everything – An Evening in Asbury Park", "Ironbound", "Extended Versions", "The Electric Age", "6 Songs", "Live From OZ", "White Devil Armory", "Wish You Were Dead", "Electric Rattlesnake", "Armorist"
- official website: www.wreckingcrew.com
There are other groups with Overkill in their name, like Overkill L.a. and Urge Overkill.
- Overkill is a fictional character in the various Transformers universes. He is one of the Decepticon Mini-Cassettes.
- Overkill is a character from the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toyline from Hasbro, which has spawned comics and cartoon series. He first appeared in the 1989 G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero incarnation of the series. He also appears in G.I. Joe: Sigma 6.
- occupation: Soldier
- "Overkill" is the second album released by Motörhead, in 1979, and their first for Bronze Records. It peaked at number 24 on the UK charts.
- "Overkill" is a song by Australian band Men at Work. It was released in April 1983 as the second single from their 1983 album Cargo. It was written by lead singer Colin Hay. The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at #28 in April 1983 and peaked at #3 in early June. When it was first released, it was a departure from the typical Men at Work's style of reggae pop. "Overkill" instead had hard-hitting lyrics and blues and roots feel.
- music and lyrics by Colin Hay
- "Overkill" is a song by the band Motörhead. It was released in 7" and 12" vinyl pressings in 1979. It is backed with B-side "Too Late Too Late" which appears on the CD re-issues of the Overkill album. Early copies came with a free "Overkill" badge. The single reached number 39 on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Overkill": Overkill is the first EP recorded by thrash metal band Overkill released in 1984 on Azra/Metal Storm records. The EP is included on the !!!Fuck You!!! And Then Some compilation.
"Overkill" is a vertical scrolling shooter that was developed by Tech-Noir Productions and published by Epic Games and Precision Software Publishing in 1992. The game was designed by Ste Cork, and was Epic's first vertical shooter.
- mode: Single-player video game
- designers: Ste Cork & Tech-Noir Productions
- developers: Ste Cork, Tech-Noir Productions
- genres: Scrolling shooter, Shoot 'em up, Action game
- publisher: Epic Games
- released in (22 years ago)
- Overkill is the use of excessive force or action that goes further than is necessary to achieve its goal. It implies that, while the goal was accomplished, there was collateral damage as a result.
- Overkill was a Marvel UK anthology published during the 1990s, deliberately designed as a Marvel equivalent to 2000AD.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Overkill
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal
OVERKILL. Rob Cannevino: guirars (Horrorscope through Wrecking Your Neck); Jot Comeau: guitars \The Killing Kind and later); Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth: vocals: Sid Falck: drums (Under the Influence through Horrorscope): Mcrritt Gant: guitars ...
Companion Encyclopaedia of Archaeology (2002)
by Graeme Barker
One explanation for the extinctions is the ' overkill' hypothesis: that new cultures massacred wild animals unused to human ...
Encyclopedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory (2000)
Second Edition by Eric Delson, Ian Tattersall, John Van Couvering, Alison S. Brooks
Overkill. The extinction of many groups oflarge mammals at the end ofthe Pleistocene, 11.7 Ka,has engendered spirited debateamong anthropologists. Many view this waveof extinctions as the result of human predation. Others, citing the need ...
Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science (2006)
Martin's Pleistocene Overkill Hypothesis In1967,paleontologist PaulMartinwroteahighly influential chapter entitled 'Prehistoric Overkill' for a book entitled Pleistocene ...
The Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia (2013)
by Dan Bertalan
Though the huge limb presses look like overkill for a small custom bowmaking operation, Ron pointsout that they are simply part ofan overall procedure that requires knowledge and attention to production standards that hehonedat Darton .
The Everything Large-Print Crossword Dictionary (2010)
Finding a solution has never been easier! by Charles Timmerman
sadd Promo 6 teaser Promo overkill 4 hype Promontory 4 ness Promote 4 sell ...
Encyclopedia of United States National Security (2005)
by Richard J. Samuels
The terms massive retaliation, overkill, and mutually assured destruction (MAD) are conceptual notions linked to Herman Kahn ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Overkill
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Overkill
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mikecogh
Some Newtown parents are way too paranoid...
Photo credit: mossimoinc
SYMS -- (apparently) more than just an important MATLAB command.
Photo credit: CarbonNYC
- Overkill Ostrich
Photo credit: pasukaru76
Wallpaper in Ohio.
Photo credit: CarbonNYC
View more pictures about Urge Overkill.
If you need images about Overkill for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a low price:
Scrabble value of O1V4E1R1K5I1L1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Overkill to see it in context!