On this page:
- Definition of the noun overkill
- Definition of the verb overkill
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Overkill
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Overkill
- Photos about Overkill
- Video language resources about Overkill
- Scrabble value of O1V4E1R1K5I1L1L1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun overkill
What does overkill mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: overkills
- the capability to obliterate a target with more weapons (especially nuclear weapons) than are required
- any effort that seems to go farther than would be necessary to achieve its goal
Alternative definition of the noun overkill
- [literally] A destructive capacity that exceeds that needed to destroy an enemy; especially with nuclear weapons.
- [idiomatic] An unnecessary excess of whatever is needed to achieve a goal.
Definition of the verb overkill
What does overkill mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: overkilled | overkilling | overkills
- [transitive] To destroy something with more (nuclear) force than is required.
- Overkill is an American thrash metal band, formed in 1980 in New Jersey. They have gone through many line-up changes, with singer Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth and bassist D.D. Verni remaining from the original lineup. Along with Anthrax, whose one-time lead guitarist Dan Spitz was also an early member of Overkill, the band is one of the most successful East Coast thrash metal bands. The band has a notable mascot named "Chaly", a skeletal bat with a skull-like face, horns, bony wings, and green eyes. Chaly has appeared on most of their album covers.
- also known as 趕盡殺絕
- Bobby Ellsworth (Lead Vocals) since
- Bobby Gustafson (Guitar) between and (9 years)
- D.D. Verni (Bass) since
- Dan Spitz (Guitar) in
- Dave Linsk (Lead guitar) since
- Derek Tailer (Backing Vocals) since
- Joe Comeau (Guitar) between and (4 years)
- Merritt Gant (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Rat Skates (Drums) between and (7 years)
- Rob Cannavino (Guitar) between and (6 years)
- Ron Lipnicki (Drums) since
- Tim Mallare (Drums) between and (13 years)
- Sebastian Marino (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Sid Falck between and (5 years)
- Bobby Gustafson between and (8 years)
- genres: Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Speed metal, Groove metal
- albums: "The Killing Kind", "Bloodletting", "Coverkill", "Feel the Fire", "From the Underground and Below", "Fuck You and Then Some", "Hello From the Gutter", "Horrorscope", "I Hear Black", "Killbox 13", "Necroshine", "ReliXIV", "Taking Over", "The Years of Decay", "Under the Influence", "W.F.O.", "Wrecking Everything", "Wrecking Your Neck: Live", "Immortalis", "Fuck You", "Then and Now", "Power in Black and Then Some", "Overkill", "Live at Wacken Open Air 2007", "Wrecking Everything – An Evening in Asbury Park", "Ironbound", "Extended Versions", "The Electric Age", "6 Songs", "Live From OZ", "White Devil Armory", "Wish You Were Dead", "Electric Rattlesnake", "Armorist", "Wrecking Everything / Killbox 13"
- official website: www.wreckingcrew.com
- Overkill a.k.a. Overkill L.A. or SST Overkill is a Hardcore punk/speed metalband started in 1980 in Los Angeles and which recorded two records on SST Records and some tracks on compilations. The band started as Overkill but they were rechristened Overkill L.A. by SST Records when they re-released their albums in the '90's and SST Overkill when they reunited in 2005.
- read more about Overkill L.A.
There are other groups with in their name, like Urge Overkill.
- "Overkill" is the second album by Motörhead, released in 1979. It was their first for Bronze Records, and peaked at #24 on the UK charts. The album had a big impact in the British punk culture of that time, paving the way for UK82. Kerrang! magazine listed the album at #46 among the "100 Greatest Heavy Metal Albums of All Time".
- "Overkill" is a song by Australian pop rock band Men at Work. It was released in 1983 as the lead single from their second studio album, Cargo. It was written by lead singer, Colin Hay. It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100; No. 5 on the Australian Kent Music Report Singles Chart; and top 10 in Canada, Ireland and Norway. When released, it was a departure from the group's style of reggae pop: instead "Overkill" had hard-hitting lyrics and a melancholic atmosphere.
- music and lyrics by Colin Hay
- "Overkill" is a song by the band Motörhead. It was released in 7" and 12" vinyl pressings in 1979. It is backed with B-side "Too Late Too Late" which appears on the CD re-issues of the Overkill album. Early copies came with a free "Overkill" badge. The single reached number 39 on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Overkill": Overkill is the first EP recorded by thrash metal band Overkill released in 1984 on Azra/Metal Storm records. It is also considered by the band as their "first album", making their debut Feel the Fire their second record and so forth. The EP is included on the !!!Fuck You!!! And Then Some compilation.
- "Overkill" is a musical EP of Savant.
- released on
- "Overkill" is a composition.
- music by Mark De Jong Norman Lenden
- "Overkill" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Overkill" is a musical single of Motörhead.
- released in (36 years ago)
- "Overkill" is a musical album of Painbastard.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Overkill" is a composition.
- "Overkill" is a musical EP of Rude 66.
- released in (10 years ago)
"Overkill" is the first novel by the New Zealand writer Vanda Symon. It was first published in March 2007 in New Zealand, by Penguin Books.
"Overkill" is a film, directed by Dean Raphael Ferrandini.
- country: United States of America
- genres: Action/Adventure, Thriller, Action Film, Martial Arts Film
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Overkill" also known as Overkill: The Last-Planet Mega Blast is a vertical scrolling shooter that was developed by Tech-Noir Productions and published by Epic MegaGames and Precision Software Publishing in 1992. The game was designed by Ste Cork, and was Epic's first vertical shooter.
- "Overkill" is a Free-to-play video game developed by Craneballs Studio. The game is set in the future when the civilized society collapsed and player has to kill everybody he meets.
- developer: Craneballs Studio
- genres: First-person Shooter, Rail shooter
- released on (4 years ago)
- Overkill is a fictional character in the various Transformers universes. He is one of the Decepticon Mini-Cassettes.
- also known as О́веркилл
- Overkill is a character from the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toyline from Hasbro, which has spawned comics and cartoon series. He first appeared in the 1989 G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero incarnation of the series. He also appears in G.I. Joe: Sigma 6.
- occupation: Soldier
- Overkill is the use of excessive force or action that goes further than is necessary to achieve its goal. It implies that, while the goal was accomplished, there was collateral damage as a result. It may be a literal term referring to physical damage, though it is also used in colloquial conversation as a metaphor.
- Overkill was a Marvel UK anthology published during the 1990s, deliberately designed as a Marvel equivalent to 2000AD.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Overkill
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Responding to the Crisis and Restoring Growth by Michael Callaghan, Chetan Ghate, Stephen Pickford, Francis Xavier Rathinam
Summing up The debate as to whether the regulatory reform is a case of overkill is a continuing one. The broad consensus, however, is that the direction of the reforms is the right one. While there could be differences regarding the ' right' ...
Object Thinking (2004)
by David West
Between hacking and prescriptive overkill is the realm of formal, informal, and aformal methods. Formal methods tend to be prescriptive. They are characterized by a large number of models each of which requires a reasonably complex syntax ...
War Stars (2008)
The Superweapon and the American Imagination by Howard Bruce Franklin
The Age of the Automatons It is true that we live in the nuclear age, when overkill is a fact of life. Nuclear culture mingles and merges with our conscious and unconscious thoughts and feelings. Yet nuclear weapons are not physically ...
Robert's Rules of Disorder (1987)
A Guide to Mismanagement
Verbal overkill is a symptom of mental underskill. Apparently, our passion for semantic submersion is unyielding. Although the verbal smokescreen is an effective tactic when used sparingly, a "Fog Index" of our everyday efforts to communicate ...
by John L. Costello
If this apparent overkill is a reflection of a legislative belief that no attempts at inchoate crimes are ...
by Mary K. Campbell, Shawn O. Farrell
Energy overkill is a common strategy when it is critically important that the process does not go in the reverse direction. Nucleophilic substitution is a common reaction mechanism, and the hydroxyl group at the 39 end of the growing DNA ...
Congressional Record (1974)
Proceedings and Debates of the ... Congress
Overkill is a very misused word— one of those simplifications that get wide circulation. The fact is that it's absolutely wrong to say we have the capacity to destroy Russia several times over. Even if we fired our entire nuclear arsenal first —which ...
by Daniel Bukszpan, Ronnie James Dio
OVERKILL. Rob Cannevino: guitars (Horrorscope through Wrecking Your .Vi'ifei: Joe Comeau: guitars (The Killing Kind and later): Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth: vocals; Sid Falck: drums (Under the Influence through Horrorsctipe): Merritt Gam: ...
by David Robertson
Overkill servative in saying that courts cannot interpret liberally to bring an 18thcentury document up to date. Thus with a majority of original position adherents abortion would probably be banned, overturning the 1973 Roe v. Wade case.
Second Edition by Eric Delson, Ian Tattersall, John Van Couvering, Alison S. Brooks
Overkill. Theextinction ofmany groups of large mammals at the end of the Pleistocene, 11.7 Ka, has engendered spirited debate among anthropologists. Many view this waveof extinctions as the result of human predation. Others, citingtheneed ...
by Joseph Segen
overkill. Vox populi An excess of anything. overlap. syndrome. GI disease The presence of histologic features of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in the same Bx, precluding a specific diagnosis of either; overlap occurs in ±15% of Bxs of ...
FIVE-VOLUME SET by Paul Robbins
THE OVERKILL HYPOTHESIS concerns the extinction of megafauna, particularly in the Americas and Australia. Archaeological excavations reveal that a number of species, perhaps more than 100, disappeared within a comparatively short ...
3,000 Words to Stop Using Now by Dave Dowling
mass epidemic, mass exodus, mass extinction Overkill. The adjective mass is unneeded. It appears aanass an epidemic ofshingles may break out. The continued hurricanes accountfor ...
by Graeme Barker
One explanation for the extinctions is the ' overkill' hypothesis: that new cultures massacred wild animals unused to human ...
by James Watson, Anne Hill
The overkill signal may be a simulation of sincere greeting; on the other hand, however, when people of different cultures or nations meet, one person's shortfall may be another's overkill. See gesture; proxemics. Showbusiness, age of The ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
overkill. 6 excess 7 surfeit, surplus 8 plethora 10 surplusage 11 superfluity. overlap.
by Elmar Waibl
— » argument from unanticipated technological relevance overkill s Overkill m (pol. eth) ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
passage, portion, quote, sample, section, selection excerpts, literary: analects excess: extra, flood, glut, gravy, intemperance, lavishness, nimiety, over, overabundance, overboard, overflow, overindulgence, overkill, plethora, plus, prodigality, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Overkill
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Overkill
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: GU / 古天熱
Wisconsin State Natural Area #661
Photo credit: wackybadger
Labeling a P-Touch with a label that says P-Touch is overkill.
Photo credit: DanCentury
Photo credit: GxbySkeleton
Photo credit: tsmall
Photo credit: argusfoto
Photo credit: GxbySkeleton
Photo credit: Derek Bridges
Photo credit: mikecogh
Payton Chang (10)
Ivana Vanjak (13)
Sarah Chase (15)
Palo Alto, CA
Photo credit: John Loo
Sitting in a Porsche reading an investment article ... oh come ON!
Photo credit: TheeErin
Photo credit: GxbySkeleton
Some Newtown parents are way too paranoid...
Photo credit: mossimoinc
Photo credit: GU / 古天熱
Photo credit: levyfulop
- Information Overkill...
Photo credit: Thomas Leuthard
- Overkill and Grimlock
Universe Overkill and Henkei Grimlock
Photo credit: Pete Slater
- Overkill 12.10.2012 Musichall, Geiselwind
Photo credit: Florian Stangl (metal-fotos.de)
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Overkill
Click on an item to play that video:
- Overkill Meaning
Video shows what overkill means. A destructive capacity that exceeds that needed to destroy an enemy; especially with nuclear weapons.. An unnecessary ...
- JQ doesn't know the meaning of overkill
- Definition of overkill
- Ninjaz United Definition of Overkill
- Final Flash - The definition of overkill
See also the pronunciation examples of Overkill!
Scrabble value of O1V4E1R1K5I1L1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Overkill to see it in context!