The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun package:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb package:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun package
- Definition of the verb package
- Phrases with Package
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Package
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Package
- Photos about Package
- Video language resources about Package
- Quotes about Package
- Scrabble value of P3A1C3K5A1G2E1
- Share this page
The word package is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun package
What does package mean as a name of something?
Package is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: packages
- a collection of things wrapped or boxed together
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of package: bundle / packet / parcel
- more generic words: accumulation / aggregation / assemblage / collection = several things grouped together or considered as a whole
- more specific word: wisp = a small bundle of straw or hay
- a wrapped container
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of package: parcel
- more generic word: container = any object that can be used to hold things
- more specific words:
- (computer science) written programs or procedures or rules and associated documentation pertaining to the operation of a computer system and that are stored in read/write memory
- domain: computer science / computing
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of package: computer software / software / software package / software program / software system
- more generic terms: code / computer code = the symbolic arrangement of data or instructions in a computer program or the set of such instructions
- more specific terms:
- plug-in / add-on = a software module that extends or enhances the capabilities of an existing application
- alpha software = a first release of a software product that is usually tested only by the developers
- authoring language = software that can be used to develop interactive computer programs without the technically demanding task of computer programming
- beta software = software that has not yet been released but has received an alpha test and still has more bugs than a regular release
- compatible software = software that can run on different computers without modification
- compatible software = application software programs that share common conventions so they can be utilized together
- computer-aided design / CAD = software used in art and architecture and engineering and manufacturing to assist in precision drawing
- freeware = software that is provided without charge
- groupware = software that can be used by a group of people who are working on the same information but may be distributed in space
- operating system / OS = software that controls the execution of computer programs and may provide various services
- computer programme / computer program / programme / program = a sequence of instructions that a computer can interpret and execute
- subprogram / subroutine / procedure / function / routine = a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
- shareware = software that is available free of charge
- shrink-wrapped software = software on CD-ROMs that are boxed and shrink-wrapped and sold in stores
- spyware = computer software that obtains information from a user's computer without the user's knowledge or consent
- malware = malicious software, designed to break into a system
- supervisory software = specialized programs that reside permanently in the computer's main memory and control the processing of user's programs
- software documentation / documentation = program listings or technical manuals describing the operation and use of programs
- database management system / DBMS = a software system that facilitates the creation and maintenance and use of an electronic database
- upgrade = software that provides better performance than an earlier version did
Alternative definition of the noun package
- Something which is packed, a parcel, a box, an envelope.
- Something which consists of various components, such as a piece of computer software.
- The art of packing something.
- Something resembling a package.
- A package holiday.
- A football formation. IE; the "dime" defensive package.
- [euphemistic] The male genitalia.
Definition of the verb package
What does package mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: packaged | packaging | packages
- put into a box
- example: They package the goods
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Herman connected the computers together | Herman gathered the students together [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] Herman spliced ropes [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient 1] with / into / to [Patient 2] Herman gathered students into group2 [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs whisk easily | Most labels tape easily [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Sugar and cream whip together easily [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] [Adverb] with / into / to [Patient 2] Sugar whips into cream easily
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of package: box
- more generic words: case / encase / incase = enclose in, or as if in, a case
Alternative definition of the verb package
- To pack or bundle something.
- To travel on a package holiday.
- "Package" a.k.a. "The Package" is 1989 Action, Crime, Drama film written by John Bishop and directed by Andrew Davis.
- also known as A la caza del lobo rojo, Brigada Assassina, Die Killer-Brigade, Entrega Mortal, I sista sekunden, Kereszttűzben, Manden fra Berlin, Mannen fra Berlin, Opération crépuscule, Paket, Przesylka, Salaliitto, To paketo, Uccidete la colomba bianca
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Beverly J. Camhe & Tobie Haggerty
- executive producer: Arne L. Schmidt
- production design by Michel Levesque
- art direction by Wynn Thomas & Colleen Kennedy
- written by John Bishop
- Dennis Franz as Lt. Milan Delich
- Gene Hackman as Sgt. Johnny Gallagher
- Tommy Lee Jones as Thomas Boyette
- Joanna Cassidy as Eileen Gallagher
- John Heard as Col. Glen Whitacre
- Pam Grier as Ruth Butler
- Ron Dean as Karl Richards
- Kevin Crowley as Walter Henke
- Nathan Davis as Soviet Press Secretary
- Chelcie Ross as Gen. Hopkins
- casting by Nan Charbonneau, Louis DiGiaimo, Richard S. Kordos
- cinematography by Frank Tidy
- edited by Billy Weber & Don Zimmerman
- music by James Newton Howard
- costume design by Marilyn Vance
- set decoration by Rick Gentz
- location: Chicago
- genres: Thriller, Suspense, Political thriller, Historical period drama, Action Film, Action/Adventure, Political drama, Drama
- subject: Cold War
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (25 years ago)
- "Package" is a film, directed by Luo Jiayong.
- "PACKAGE" is a book by Australian museum.
- "PACKAGE" is a book by Wiley Miller.
- "PACKAGE" is a book by Social Policy Association.
- "PACKAGE" is a book by Botanical Society of America.
- "PACKAGE" is a book by Wiley-Blackwell.
There are many other writings with this title.
- Package: A software package is a software that has been built from source with one of the available package management systems. The package is typically provided as compiled code, with additional meta-information such as a package description, package version, or "dependencies". The package management system can evaluate this meta-information to allow package searches; to perform automatic upgrades to a newer version; to check that all dependencies of a package are fulfilled and/or to fulfill them automatically by installing missing packages.
- also known as Software package
- Package: A package in the Unified Modeling Language is used "to group elements, and to provide a namespace for the grouped elements". A package may contain other packages, thus providing for a hierarchical organization of packages.
- Package: In the Apple OS X operating system, a package is a file system directory that is normally displayed to the user by the Finder as if it were a single file. Such a directory may be the top-level of a directory tree of objects stored as files, or it may be other archives of files or objects for various purposes, such as installer packages, or backup archives.
- Package: The multi-part release of which this component was a part.
- Package: A package in the Java programming language.
- The package in which the type is defined.
Phrases with Package
Phrases starting with the word Package:
- package bomb
- Package Deal
- Package Film
- package tour
- package store
- package holiday
- Package Management System
Phrases ending with the word Package:
Other phrase containing the word Package:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Package
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
MySQL in a Nutshell (2008)
by Russell Dyer
The Windows Essential package is the rec- ommended format. It contains only the essential...
The standard Windows installation package is a compressed file from which you have to extract the installation files. To do this, you need a utility ...
Toward a Dynamic Microeconomic Theory of the Consumer by William M. Wadman
we assume the basic package is that v, for which v,
Now What? (2005)
90 Days to a New Life Direction by Laura Berman Fortgang
The package is an illusion; only the parts you can carry forth are real. The package is the past, and what you can bring forward with you is the future.
Broadcast Basics (2006)
A Beginner's Guide to Television News Reporting and Production by Yvonne Cappé
A package is a story complete with an anchor lead-in that you will write to introduce the story; copy that you will write and read telling the story, interviews, stand-ups, and an anchor tag that you will write to end the story. Remember every story ...
by Aaron L. Brody, John B. Lord
The package is the physical entity that actually contains the product, the can, bottle, carton, pouch, and so on. Packaging is the integration...
by Scot Hillier, Ted Pattison
An app package is a file built by using the zip archive file format and it requires an extension of .app. For example, if you create a new SharePointhosted app project named MySharePointApp, the project will generate an app package named ...
by Ramesh C. Chandan, Arun Kilara, Nagendra P. Shah
The package is the material in its structural form such as a bottle, can, pouch, bag , carton, or case. The most important...
Java Security (2001)
by Scott Oaks
The Iava security package is a set of classes that were added to Iava 1.1 (and expanded in Iava 2, version 1.2); these classes provide additional layers of security beyond the layers we've examined so far. Although these classes do play a role ...
by Nicholas Wolterstorff
The whole package is a good, even though the death of the stag as such is an evil. In designing the ecology of nature, God did not choose the death of the stag as such but chose the whole package consisting of the stag serving as food for the ...
Liquid Products (Volume 3 of 6) by Sarfaraz K. Niazi
A package, or market package, is the container closure system and labeling, associated components (e.g., dosing cups, droppers, spoons), and external packaging (e.g., cartons or shrink-wrap). A market package is the article provided to a ...
by Norman A. P. Govoni
package the container for a product, including the size, shape, design, color, imprinted information, and other physical and graphic features affecting its appearance and effectiveness as a selling tool; ...
by Edwin D. Reilly
PACKAGE For articles on related subjects, see + Block Structure + Encapsulation + Global and Local Variables + Information Hiding + Modular Programming + Object-Oriented Programming more comprehensible than the total number of ...
Volume 9 - IEEE 802.3 and Ethernet Standards to Interrelationship of the SS7 Protocol Architecture and the OSI Reference Model and Protocols by Fritz E. Froehlich, Allen Kent
The Basic Package The basic package contains MAUID, to identify the MAU, as well as MAU- Type, which identifies the imbedded MAU as 10BASE-T, 10BASE2, and so on. If an AUI is being used to identify an external MAU, the type of AUI is ...
The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management and Encyclopedic Dictionaries, The Blackwell Encyclopedic Dictionary of Management Information Systems (1999)
by Gordon B. Davis, Gordon Bitter Davis
Three major choices are application package, application generator, and custom development using a programming language. Commercial application packages are written to be used by a large number of organizations for a common ...
Design Dictionary (2008)
Perspectives on Design Terminology by Michael Erlhoff, Timothy Marshall
PACKAGING DESIGN A designed product's package fulfills several different functions—it provides a protective shell for transportation and storage, acts as a vital source of information to the product's user in today's heavily manufactured ...
by Paul Kingsbury
Package Shows Package Shows During the 1950s,” package show” was the term used to describe a touring country music stage show featuring...
But the term “package shows” best applies to big-city shows that emerged during World War II.
by Paul G Smith
package wastewater treatment plants A complete small treatment plant made at a factory and placed on site. For wastewater treatment, the package plant may contain primary sedimentation, aerobic biological ...
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
P PACKAGE: A combination of several different types of health insurance coverage. PACKAGE PRICING: Combines the fees for the professional and institutional services associated with a procedure into a single payment. Package pricing ...
by Thomas M. Pankratz
Completaire Package waste treatment plant with complete mix activated sludge by FMC Corp. CompleTreator Package waste treatment plant with two stage ...
A Dictionary of English Synonymes and Synonymous or Parallel Expressions Designed as a Practical Guide to Aptness and Variety of Phraseology (1881)
by Richard Soule
Package, n. Bundle, budget, parcel, pack, bale, PACKET . Packet, n. 1. Package ( small). 2. Vessel (for freight and passengers between stated ports). Packfong, n. [ Written also Pakfong.] German silver, white copper. Pack off, [Active.] Despatch ...
Marketing dictionary (2000)
by Wolfgang J. Koschnick
Packung / pack, package, packet, wrapping, wrapper The exterior part of a single unit of a product which serves as a protective device as well as a vehicle to carry the brand and the label. Packungsanhanger m (angehangte Packungs- ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Package
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Package
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Suspicious Package.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Package
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ram Fifth Wheel Gooseneck Prep Package Explanation and Demo
Explanation of the Ram Fifth Wheel Gooseneck Prep Package available of Ram Heavy Duty Trucks. Shows the needed components and the installation ...
- Porsche 997 Carrera Fabspeed Performance Package Explanation
Call Fabspeed Directly: 888-646-4945 Visit Fabspeed's Website...
- Desiree's Business Package Explanation
Desiree's Business Package Explanation.
- Ferrari F355 Maxflo Performance Package Explanation
Call Fabspeed Directly: 888-646-4945 Visit Fabspeed's Website...
- Package Explanation
- XBRL Cloud Evidence Package - Terminology
- Sport Ski Rental Package Explanation - Canyon Sports
A brief explanation of the Sport Ski Rental Package for ski rental packages at Canyon Sports.
- Performance Ski Rental Package Explanation - Canyon Sports
A brief explanation of the Performance Ski Rental Package for ski rental packages at Canyon Sports.
- Base Package Explanation
- Banking Vocabulary: Package C
- Package Meaning
Video shows what package means. Something which is packed, a parcel, a box, an envelope.. Something which consists of various components, such as a ...
- Banking Vocabulary: Package B
- Performance Snowbaord Rental Package Explanation - Canyon Sports
A brief explanation of the Performance Snowboard Rental Package for snowboard rental packages at Canyon Sports.
- Automatic package definition in Sublime Text 3
Sublime snippets are pretty powerful, here's an example of calculating the package name from the path. Theme and Color scheme used: Wombat theme ...
- International Banking Vocabulary: Package A
- Florida Tax Cut Package Explanation
Political Contributor Trimmel Gomes is in studio discussing tax cuts signed by Governor Rick Scott.
- Package Explanation
- Package management system Meaning
Video shows what package management system means. The tool used by an operating system (OS) to administrate addition, removal and upgrade of software ...
- Package Definition
- Snowshoe Rental Package Explanation - Canyon Sports
- Buddipole Deluxe Package - Description and Installation
Chris/W6HFP goes over what is included in the Buddipole Deluxe packages. He also explains the antenna hardware and design. Then finally does a brief demo ...
- Kali Linux 2.0 Sana - Dradis Package Description (Full HD)
Dradis is an open source framework to enable effective information sharing, specially during security assessments. Dradis is a self-contained web application ...
- Sharing package description [and translations] between distr
This session proposes to share concrete ideas, gather requirements and wishes (and hopefully volunteers) towards an implementation to help collaboration ...
- Hercules WAE Outdoor BTP04 ADVENTURE PACK - Package description
Discover the Hercules WAE Outdoor BTP04 Wireless Portable Speaker, IP 64 certified: a total protection against water splashes, snow, dust and sand, 14 hours ...
- Family Package Programme / Atlantic Language Galway
- Primary Arts of Language: Writing Package
View product info here...
- How to mail a package by media mail with delivery confirmation [ESL / EFL Listening Activity]
- COMMERCIAL ERP PACKAGE DESCRIPTION
- PES 2012 - Language Package - 11 Language [ HD - 720p ]
PES 2012 - Language Package - 11 Language - by SymTecno English,French,German,Italian,Spanish,Russian,Greek,Swedish,Dutch,Portuguese,Turkish ...
- IEW: Primary Arts of Language: Reading Package
View product info for Primary Arts of Language: Reading Package...
See also the pronunciation examples of Package!
Quotes about Package
Freedom is a package deal - with it comes responsibilities and consequences.
more quotes about package...
Scrabble value of P3A1C3K5A1G2E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Package to see it in context!