Palm appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- May a gal from LA predraw a worse path to be solo?: gas no enemy burlap, pay no milage, beg alimony, appal ruby men eons ago, lose both tapes, row a warder, palm or flag a yam.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun palm:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun palm
- Definition of the verb palm
- Phrases with Palm
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Palm
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Palm
- Photos about Palm
- Videos about Palm
- Sign language
- Quotes about Palm
- Scrabble value of P3A1L1M3
- Anagrams of PALM
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun palm
What does palm mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: palms
- the inner surface of the hand from the wrist to the base of the fingers
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonym of palm: thenar
- more generic words: area / region = a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve
- part of: hand / manus / mitt / paw = the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb
- part: thenar = the fleshy area of the palm at the base of the thumb
- a linear unit based on the length or width of the human hand
- any plant of the family Palmae having an unbranched trunk crowned by large pinnate or palmate leaves
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of palm: palm tree
- more generic word: tree = a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown
- more specific terms:
- sago palm = any of various tropical Asian palm trees the trunks of which yield sago
- feather palm = palm having pinnate or featherlike leaves
- fan palm = palm having palmate or fan-shaped leaves
- calamus = any tropical Asian palm of the genus Calamus
- fishtail palm = attractive East Indian palm having distinctive bipinnate foliage
- Cocos nucifera / coconut palm / coconut tree / cocoa palm / coco palm / coconut / coco = tall palm tree bearing coconuts as fruits
- corozo palm / corozo = any of several tropical American palms bearing corozo nuts
- Euterpe oleracea / cabbage palm = Brazilian palm of genus Euterpe whose leaf buds are eaten like cabbage when young
- Livistona australis / cabbage palm / cabbage tree = Australian palm with leaf buds that are edible when young
- Nipa fruticans / nipa palm = any creeping semiaquatic feather palm of the genus Nipa found in mangrove swamps and tidal estuaries; its sap is used for a liquor; leaves are used for thatch
- Raffia farinifera / Raffia ruffia / raffia palm = a large feather palm of Africa and Madagascar having very long pinnatisect fronds yielding a strong commercially important fiber from its leafstalks
- lady palm = any of several small palms of the genus Rhapis
- Roystonea regia / royal palm = tall feather palm of southern Florida and Cuba
- Roystonea oleracea / cabbage palm = West Indian palm with leaf buds that are edible when young
- member of: Arecaceae / family Arecaceae / family Palmaceae / family Palmae / palm family / Palmaceae / Palmae = chiefly tropical trees and shrubs and vines usually having a tall columnar trunk bearing a crown of very large leaves
- an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of palm: decoration / laurel wreath / medal / medallion / ribbon
- more generic words: accolade / award / honor / honour / laurels = a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction
- more specific terms:
- Congressional Medal of Honor / Medal of Honor = the highest U.S. military decoration awarded for bravery and valor in action `above and beyond the call of duty'
- Distinguished Service Medal = a United States military decoration for meritorious service in wartime duty of great responsibility
- Distinguished Service Cross = a United States Army decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
- Navy Cross = a United States Navy decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
- Distinguished Flying Cross = a United States Air Force decoration for heroism while participating in an aerial flight
- Air Medal = a United States Air Force decoration for meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight
- Silver Star Medal / Silver Star = a United States military decoration for gallantry in action
- Bronze Star Medal / Bronze Star = a United States military decoration awarded for meritorious service
- Order of the Purple Heart / Purple Heart = a United States military decoration awarded to any member of the armed forces who is wounded in action
- Oak Leaf Cluster = a United States military decoration consisting of bronze or silver oak leaves and acorns awarded to anyone who has won a given medal before
- Victoria Cross = a British military decoration for gallantry
- Distinguished Conduct Medal = a British military decoration for distinguished conduct in the field
- Distinguished Service Order = a British military decoration for special service in action
- Croix de Guerre = a French military decoration for gallantry
- Medaille Militaire = a French military decoration
Alternative definition of the noun palm
- Any of various evergreen trees from the family Palmae or Arecaceae, which are mainly found in the tropics.
- synonym: palm tree
- The inner and somewhat concave part of the human hand that extends from the wrist to the bases of the fingers.
- antonym: hardel
- The corresponding part of the forefoot of a lower mammal.
- A handheld computing device used to store personal data such as calendars and phone numbers.
Definition of the verb palm
What does palm mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: palmed | palming | palms
- touch, lift, or hold with the hands
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of palm: handle
- more generic word: touch = make physical contact with, come in contact with
- more specific words:
- Palm handhelds were Personal Digital Assistants that ran the Palm OS.
- also known as PALM INC, PALMONE INC, Palm PDA
- Palm a.k.a. Palm Breweries is a brewery company. It owns several different Belgian breweries.
- read more about Palm Breweries
Palm is a fictional character from the 1957 film Castles and Cottages.
- "Palm" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Palm" is a musical album of Merlowe Rant.
- released on (19 years ago)
Palm a.k.a. Palm, Pennsylvania: Palm is an unincorporated community in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. It lies along Pennsylvania Route 29 between Hereford and East Greenville at latitude 40.4281539 longitude −75.5329608. It is located in Upper Hanover Township and the ZIP code is 18070. The Hosensack Creek flows from the northeast into the Perkiomen Creek in the village.
- read more about Palm, Pennsylvania
- Palm a.k.a. paralemmin is a gene.
- PALM: Paralemmin is a protein that in humans is encoded by the PALM gene.
- Palm is a computing platform.
- Palm is a publisher.
- Palm is a print ad.
Phrases with Palm
Phrases starting with the word Palm:
Phrases ending with the word Palm:
- fan palm
- Ivy Palm
- key palm
- nut palm
- oil palm
- wax palm
- coco palm
- date palm
- Doum Palm
- fern palm
- lady palm
- nipa palm
View more phrases with the word Palm in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Palm
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by K.P. Prabhakaran Nair
The arecanut palm is the source of a widely used masticatory nut, popularly known as arecanut, betelnut, or supari.
Arecanut palm is a popular crop in India in the states of Kerala, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu in southern India and in Assam, ...
Date Palm Biotechnology (2011)
by S.Mohan Jain, Jameel M. Al-Khayri, Dennis V Johnson
Date palm is a traditional crop and in recent years has gained acceptance in 40 countries including the USA, South Africa, and Australia. It is well-known for its ability to withstand extremes of temperature and can tolerate very high summer ...
by Kiew Kit, Wong
The Cosmos Palm is a remarkable expression of this feature. While the Cosmos ... The Cosmos Palm is an advanced internal art, and should be trained only with the supervision of a master.
Top 100 Food Plants (2009)
by Ernest Small
The oil palm is a tall tree up to 20 m (66 feet) in height, with an erect trunk usually less than 30 cm (1 foot) in diameter, which bears...
Genomics of Cultivated Palms (2011)
by V. Arunachalam
Oil palm is the second largest source of edible oil, next only to soybean. It contributes approximately...
American oil palm is a low-yielding species, but the oil quality and composition is better than that of the African species. Both species of oil ...
The Book of Edible Nuts (2004)
by Frederic Rosengarten, Jr.
RUSSIAN Kok6s JAPANESE Kokonatto CHINESE Yeh Tzu THE COCONUT PALM is an alluring symbol of the tropics.
The Pearl of India (2017)
by Maturin Ballou
The cocoanut palm is the most common and most valuable of this family of trees, and next to it is the areca. The top of the former always bends gracefully towards the earth, affording the Eastern poets a synonym for humility, while the stem of ...
American Journal of Pharmacy (1830)
sago palm is an exotic. Our inquiries have been unavailing in the attempt to discover it as indigenous in our neighbourhood, and we feel confident that it does not exist in the native wild state to the eastward of Borneo. The best sago ...
A Botanical Dictionary (1805)
Or, Elements of Systematic and Philosophical Botany by Colin Milne
delivered by the ancients, and agree in asserting, that though the date-bearing palm may produce good dates, without the assistance of the flowering or male palm, yet, that the date- stones, which arc the feed of the plant in question, will not ...
by Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama
Turkey Duck, Rice, Liquor, Fruit Raw Rice, Gin, Palm Wine Candy, Cookies, Cake, Honey, Fanta Orange Soda, Fruity Wine, Nana Esi Ketewaa Sugar Cane, Yams, Eggs Kola Nuts, Beer, Schnapps, Rum, Tiger Nuts Peanuts, Green Bananas, ...
by Elaine Costello
Move the right 3 hand, palm facing left, forward with a short repeated movement under the palm of the left open hand, palm facing down and fingers pointing right. garbled adj. See sign for messy. gas n.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Palm
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Palm
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Anika Malone
Photo credit: Keith Roper
Photo credit: a.dombrowski
Photo credit: alexfiles
Photo credit: thomaswanhoff
Photo credit: Jim Sneddon
Photo credit: Tom Coppen
Photo credit: Mark Ramsay
Photo credit: marcusrg - If you fav, please, be kind and comment
Photo credit: grongar
Photo credit: barsen
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: a.dombrowski
(0661) Kew Gardens, Palm...
Photo credit: tonyhall
- Texas palm
Photo credit: cynthia.collins21
- Under The Palm
A palm tree at night
Photo credit: iAreef
- Palm Cross
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Palm
Click on an item to play that video:
- Betel palm Meaning
Video shows what betel palm means. An Asiatic palm, Areca catechu, whose seeds are betel nuts. Betel palm Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Ingrid Michaelson- Meaning of 'Palm Of Your Hand'
- Palm Meaning
Video shows what palm means. Any of various evergreen trees from the family Palmae or Arecaceae, which are mainly found in the tropics.. A branch or leaf of ...
- Palm sander explanation mc 7P
via YouTube Capture.
- Finger Palm Vanish Explanation
- Multi Top Palm Explanation
Multi Top Palm Explanation - Learn more mind blowing card magic here...
- Tenkai Palm Explanation
Tenkai Palm Explanation - Learn more mind blowing card magic here...
- Explanation- Back Palm
Recorded on June 29, 2010 using a Flip Video camcorder.
- Cross someone's palm Meaning
Video shows what cross someone's palm means. To give money to a person, especially as a bribe or as an inducement to perform a service.. Cross someone's ...
- PALM SPIN : Freerunning Dictionary ( Cory DeMeyers - This is not a parkour tutorial )
Welcome to the FREERUNNING DICTIONARY : This is a an easy to use reference for fans of or anyone new in the Freerunning & Parkour community that is ...
- Palm Discovery Software Review: Merriam-Webster Dictionary app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Palm Discovery reviews the Merriam-Webster Dictionary app for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, a dictionary app that provides not only a definition, but ...
- Effective Body Language skills Palm Power
Body Language secrets. Communication is 60% non verbal and 40% verbal. The power is in your palm.
- Boice's Dictionary Palm Spin
- Face Palm (Old, check description)
- Reaction to Ashwin's description of a palm leaf
- What Is The Definition Of Palm Medical School Terminology Dictionary
- 111. Al Masadd- The Palm Fibre English Language
View more videos about nut palm, oil palm, Palm Bay, palm off, coco palm, date palm, Palm Card, Palm Tree, Palm wine, Wine Palm, Palm print, Palm sugar, Palm syrup, queen palm, Tagua Palm, Jupati palm, Palm Desert, Palm Fronds, Palm Sunday, Emperor palm, palm reading, Talipot Palm, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County, Neanthe bella palm, and In the Palm of Your Hand.
See also the pronunciation examples of Palm!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Palm
A mouse that removes the palm-nut that turns out to be the bait of a trap, would already have known that the palm-nut does not ripen on the ground.
more quotes about palm...
Scrabble value of P3A1L1M3
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PALM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Palm!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Palm to see it in context!