Usage statistics for the noun parent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun parent
- Definition of the verb parent
- Phrases with Parent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Parent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Parent
- Usage statistics about parent
- Photos about Parent
- Video language resources about Parent
- Sign language
- Quotes about Parent
- Scrabble value of P3A1R1E1N1T1
- Anagrams of PARENT
- Share this page
The word parent is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun parent
What does parent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: parents
- a father or mother; one who begets or one who gives birth to or nurtures and raises a child; a relative who plays the role of guardian
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- antonym: child
- more generic word: genitor = a natural father or mother
- more specific terms:
- adoptive parent / adopter = a person who adopts a child of other parents as his or her own child
- empty nester = a parent whose children have grown up and left home
- male parent / begetter / father = a male parent
- filicide = a parent who murders his own son or daughter
- female parent / mother = a woman who has given birth to a child
- stepparent = the spouse of your parent by a subsequent marriage
- member of: family / family unit = primary social group
- an organism (plant or animal) from which younger ones are obtained
Alternative definition of the noun parent
- One of the two persons from whom one is immediately biologically descended; a mother or father.
- A person who acts as a parent in rearing a child. (adoptive parent, foster parent)
- [biology] An organism from which a plant or animal is immediately biologically descended.
- The source or origin of something.
- A group from which another group is formed, or which completely controls a subordinate group. (parent company)
- [context: computing, object oriented computer programming] The object from which a child or derived object is descended.
Definition of the verb parent
What does parent mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: parented | parenting | parents
- look after a child until it is an adult
Alternative definition of the verb parent
- To act as parent, to raise or rear.
- Parent is a fictional character from the 1991 film Problem Child 2.
- Parent is a fictional character from the 2011 film Just Go With It.
- Parent is a fictional character from the 2012 film Celeste and Jesse Forever.
- Parent is a fictional character from the 2007 film The Jane Austen Book Club.
- Parent is a fictional character from the 2007 film Into the Wild.
- Parent: One of the parent organism classifications of this hybrid. (E.g. for a mule, the parents are "horse" and "donkey".
- Parent: Use the Iconclass code without spaces.
- The parent company or companies which own and operate the service.
Phrases with Parent
Phrases starting with the word Parent:
Phrases ending with the word Parent:
- to parent
- male parent
- Sugar Parent
- female parent
- foster parent
- Pollen Parent
- Single parent
- adoptive parent
- Surrogate Parent
- Biological Parent
- Helicopter parent
- Noncustodial parent
Other phrase containing the word Parent:
View more phrases with the word Parent in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Parent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Parenting 2.0 (2014)
Empowering Moms & Dads in Raising Resilient Children in Digital Age by Ko Teik Yen
Besides, many quotes available from the internet about the meaning of parenting: Being a parent means putting your selfish wants behind you and sacrificing everything you love for your child! Sometimes being a parent means shutting off ...
Report of the ... Meeting of the National Conference of Unitarian and Other Christian Churches (1902)
The parent is a trustee. That is...
Official Report of the Proceedings of the ... Meeting of the National Conference of Unitarian and Other Christian Churches ... (1903)
The parent is a trustee. That is...
by Jonathan W. Gould
For the mental health professional, the evaluation question becomes, "Which parent is a better match for having primary...
by Henry Kellerman
It involves the triangular relationship that develops between the child and the same-sex and opposite-sex parent. Freud took the name from a Greek myth elaborated in Sophocles' drama in which a royal couple's son, Oedipus, is prophesied at ...
by Steven W. Lee
A parent-teacher conference is an interactive meeting between a parent and a teacher where the primary focus is on the child's academic, behavioral, emotional , psychological, or social functioning. Parents and teachers need to collaborate ...
Encyclopedia of Adolescence (2014)
by Roger J.R. Levesque
emphasized the renegotiation of child- parent roles and expectations as one of the most notable characteristics of adolescence, which also transforms the role of language in family relationships. Rarely ...
by Dipavali Debroy
There may be a parent company A in London, with a subsidiary company X in New York . There may also be a parent company Y in New York, with a subsidiary company ...
by David Sherman
Ed Van Impe, Bernie Parent Second Row (L to R): Bud Poile ...
by Thomas P. Gullotta, Martin Bloom
Because the majority of studies tend to group these together, however, it is impossible to distinguish between single-parent households and single-parent families for the purpose of the present entry. Thus, we will use the term single- parent ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Parent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about parent
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun parent:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun parent and its most common antonym:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb parent:
Photos about Parent
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Proud parent
Photo credit: stanzebla
- Parent and Child
The Owls by the speaker.
Photo credit: mistahbloo
- Typical parent
Photo credit: Leonid Mamchenkov
- Michael Parent
Michael Parent is associate professor of management information systems in SFU's Segal Graduate School of Business.
See the story here.
Photo credit: SFU - University Communications
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Parent
Click on an item to play that video:
- NWEA Parent Explanation
Richmmond Presentation to Parents Fall 2013.
- Biological parent Meaning
Video shows what biological parent means. One of a child's natural parents, either the male who supplied the sperm or the female who supplied the egg which ...
- Parent explanation of Powerschool
- PARENT SLANG TEST!!!
- The flipped classroom: Parent Explanation
An explanation of how the flipped classroom works-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Thomas the Train A Parent's Explanation
There a are many Thomas the Train videos on YouTube, of which a large amount is made up of inappropriate material for children. This video is the first in a ...
- CA Final | Meaning of Parent, Subsidiaries, Group and Consolidated Financial Statements.
Parent means a company which has one or more subsidiaries. Subsidiary means an enterprise which is controlled by another enterprise. Group means parent ...
- YouTube: The parent's definition
1) how one folds laundry with two kids 2) how one does [enter anything here] with two kids..
- Meaning of Parent, Subsidiaries, Group and Consolidated Financial Statements
- Essential Dad and Parent Skills 2-10: Your new definition of a well stocked fridge
So much for the Bud light. A well stocked fridge is a clue to fatherly happiness. Check it out. Love it? Hate it? Like it? Know how to do it better? Just looking for ...
- Parent Meaning
Video shows what parent means. One of the two persons from whom one is immediately biologically descended; a mother or father.. A person who acts as a ...
- Definition Speech - Parent
Anne Shearer - SPCH 1101 - 14612.
- Parent Match - Adoption Terminology For Adoptive Parents
- Pollen parent Meaning
Video shows what pollen parent means. The plant that contributes male reproductive material, the pollen.. Pollen parent Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- 4 1 Parent Graph, Vocabulary & Formulas
- Sugar parent Meaning
Video shows what sugar parent means. A person who spends money for the benefit of a younger person, typically in exchange for companionship and/or sexual ...
- Parent Explanation
- One could be someone's parent Meaning
Video shows what one could be someone's parent means. Said to emphasize age disparity of a couple, usually to express disapproval and imply the possibility ...
- Definition of (SOP) stored on parent
How to use the stored on parent parts.
- Parent Involvement-Fluency-Vocabulary-Comprehension
- Sul Ross MS Parent ESL Class
School is back in session for a group of Sul Ross Middle School parents. Twice a week, 22 parents walk into the school to learn English during the day when ...
- A Parent's Description Of An Educational Therapist
- The Intentional Parent - Foreign Language: The Value of a Bilingual Education (Anneli Harvey)
EPISODE SYNOPSIS Today on The Intentional Parent Greg and Tina welcome guest Anneli Harvey who is an educational consultant specializing in foreign ...
- Pomona College Psychology Project: Influence of Parent Language Use on Children's Thinking
Laura River '15 discusses her 2013 psychology summer research project, which she undertook under the mentorship of Professor Jessica Borelli (Pomona) and ...
- ESL Parent Involvement
Mary Castanuela from ESC Region 15 talks candidly to school administrators and teachers about communicating and engaging ESL parents.
- Juvenile Mental Health Court: Parent Description
- Parent Input Diversity Accelerates Early Language Growth
Dr. Pamela A. Hadley from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign presents "Parent Input Diversity Accelerates Early Language Growth" at the 2015 ...
- Canvas Parent Language Questionnaire Mobile App
- Speech Language Pathology: A Parent's Perspective
John Consalvi, M.A. CCC-SLP, and CEO/Founder of LinguaHealth, interviews Stephanie Foley about her experience with speech therapy for her daughter with ...
- Common Core's English Language Arts Standards from a Parent's Perspective
Stacy Shore is a mother who dug around in Common Core's English Language Arts Standards and didn't like what she found.
See also the pronunciation examples of Parent!
Parent interviews about baby sign language on North Carolina CH 2
Quotes about Parent
The greatest gift a parent can give a child is unconditional love. As a child wanders and strays, finding his bearings, he needs a sense of absolute love from a parent. There's nothing wrong with tough love, as long as the love is unconditional. (George Bush)
more quotes about parent...
Scrabble value of P3A1R1E1N1T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PARENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Parent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Parent to see it in context!