The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb pass along:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb pass along
What does pass along mean as a doing phrase?
- transmit information
- example: pass along the good news
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of pass along: communicate / pass / pass on / put across
- more generic words: communicate / convey / transmit = transfer to another
- more specific terms:
- implant / plant = put firmly in the mind
- send a message = give or constitute a signal, not necessarily verbally
- relay = pass along
- get across / put over = communicate successfully
- call for / ask for / bespeak / request / quest = express the need or desire for
- telecommunicate = communicate over long distances, as via the telephone or e-mail
- acknowledge / receipt = report the receipt of
- carry = pass on a communication
- deliver / render / return = pass down
- message = send as a message
- message = send a message to
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for pass along
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Medical Dictionary: containing an explanation of the terms in surgery , medicine, etc. Second edition (1813)
by John James Watt
Of these accompanies the arteries as in the upper extremity, while the greater number of thesuperficial ones arising from the Toes and upper part of the Foot, pass along the inner side of the Knee, and ascendiin the course of the Vena ...
Medical Dictionary (1813)
Containing an Explanation of the Terms in Surgery, Medicine, Midwifery, Anatomy, Chemistry, &c. &c. &c by John James Watt
The last of these accompanies the arteries as in the upper extremity, while the greater number of the superficial cries arising from the Toes and upper part of the Foot, pass along the inner side of the Knee, and ascend in the course of the Vena ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc
Before people developed writing, storytelling was the most important way to pass along information. Anything a culture wanted to preserve— its beliefs, its history, and its traditions—had to be told out loud.
by Brent Douglas Galloway
root <sat> //s8t// reach, pass on, pass along, lx <=eW> on the body or <=eW> contrastive, <=eqe1> in the throat, in the esophagus, in the ...
by Liban A. Ahmad
To pass along. Jidka ayuu gaadhigu maray – The car has passed along the road. 2. (Of vehicles) .
A Corpus-based Analysis of the Complementation Patterns of English Verbs, Nouns, and Adjectives by Thomas Herbst
-> D1 D3 D6 T1 T8 T9 also in phrasal verbs: pass along; pass down: pass on G If something1 passes belief or understanding" ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for pass along
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about pass along
Click on an item to view that photo:
Pass along a smile.
At Warren Lewis' barber shop
Photo credit: ilovememphis
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about pass along
Finally, I do not believe that we should punish American families who have worked diligently to provide for themselves and want to pass along their success to their children and grandchildren. (Howard Coble)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of pass along to see it in context!