The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb pass off:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb pass off
What does pass off mean as a doing phrase?
- be accepted as something or somebody in a false character or identity
- cause to be circulated and accepted in a false character or identity
- disappear gradually
- come to pass
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of pass off: come about / fall out / go on / hap / happen / occur / pass / take place
- more specific terms:
- recrudesce / develop / break = happen
- come up / arise = result or issue
- result = come about or follow as a consequence
- intervene = occur between other event or between certain points of time
- transpire = come about, happen, or occur
- give = occur
- supervene = take place as an additional or unexpected development
- proceed / go = follow a certain course
- come = come to pass
- fall = occur at a specified time or place
- anticipate = be a forerunner of or occur earlier than
- develop = be gradually disclosed or unfolded
- repeat / recur = happen or occur again
- come off / go over / go off = happen in a particular manner
- come around / roll around = happen regularly
- materialise / materialize / happen = come into being
- bechance / befall / happen = happen, occur, or be the case in the course of events or by chance
- bechance / befall / betide = become of
- coincide / concur = happen simultaneously
- backfire / backlash / recoil = come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect
- chance = be the case by chance
- break = happen or take place
- strike / shine / fall = touch or seem as if touching visually or audibly
- turn out = prove to be in the result or end
- contemporise / contemporize / synchronise / synchronize = happen at the same time
- expel (gases or odors)
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of pass off: breathe / emit
- more generic words: discharge / eject / exhaust / expel / release = eliminate
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb pass off
- [intransitive] To happen.
- [transitive] To misrepresent something.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for pass off
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Isaac Livingstone Asamoah
Pass off: If an event passes off well, badly etc, it happens in that way. E.g. The visit passed off without any serious incidents. 2449. Pass off: To make people think that someone or something is another thing. E.g. They bought up pieces of old ...
A Dictionary of English Synonymes and Synonymous Or Parallel Expressions Designed as a Practical Guide to Aptness and Variety of Phraseology (1891)
by Richard Soule
Pass off by degrees or gradually.
by James Main Dixon
To pass off (as) — (a) to secure acknowledgment or recognition (as). P. They pass themselves off as an old married couple.— James Pavn. One of these passengers being a child still young enough to be passed off as a child inarms.
by Louisa Pansegrouw
prescribe pass lightly over flit, skim pass, like time elapse pass off counterfeit, disappear, emit, fake, feign, happen, occur, vanish, vaporise pass off in vapour evaporate pass on bequeath, impart, relate, relay, reveal, transmit pass oneself off ...
—Passmuster, togo through aninspection withoutfaultbeing found; Pass off,to imposefraudulently, to palm off; Pass on,togo forward: to proceed; Passon, orupon,to come upon, to happen to: togive judgment or sentence upon:to practiseartfully, ...
by Seth Godin, Lark Productions LLC, Seth Godin Productions
rankle, run off, set off, wither; 7 abscond, come off, drop off, explode, implode, move off, pack off, pass off, thunder, whip off; 8 detonate, march off, pass away, start off; 9 discharge goofing off: 8 shirking, slacking; 10 soldiering; 12 goldbricking ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for pass off
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about pass off
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Pass off
010310 - Just Enough Grand Finals.
Nice try, guys!
Photo credit: Raelene G
- First pass off
Photo credit: kyle tsui
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about pass off
Pass off Meaning
Video shows what pass off means. To happen.. To misrepresent something.. To abate, to cease gradually.. Pass off Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
See also the pronunciation examples of pass off!
Quotes about pass off
A huckster who cannot pass off mouse-turd for pepper, has not learned his trade.