Past appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- We quickly seized the black axle and just saved it from going past him. (57 letters)
Past appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Smart saps nurse tar costs if I cap a pacifist", Socrates runs past rams.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun past and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun past
- Definition of the adjective past
- Definition of the adverb past
- Other definitions of past
- Phrases with Past
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Past
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Past
- Photos about Past
- Video language resources about Past
- Sign language
- Quotes about Past
- Scrabble value of P3A1S1T1
- Anagrams of PAST
- Share this page
The word past is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun past
What does past mean as a name of something?
Past is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: pasts
- the time that has elapsed
- example: forget the past
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonyms of past: past times / yesteryear
- antonym of past: future
- more generic word: time = the continuum of experience in which events pass from the future through the present to the past
- more specific terms:
- yore = time long past
- water under the bridge / bygone = past events to be put aside
- old = past times
- history = the aggregate of past events
- time out of mind / time immemorial = the distant past beyond memory
- auld langsyne / good old days / old times / langsyne = past times remembered with nostalgia
- yesterday = the recent past
- a earlier period in someone's life (especially one that they have reason to keep secret)
- a verb tense that expresses actions or states in the past
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of past: past tense
- more generic word: tense = a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
- more specific words: preterite / preterit = a term formerly used to refer to the simple past tense
Alternative definition of the noun past
- The period of time that has already happened, in contrast to the present and the future.
- [grammar] The past tense.
Definition of the adjective past
What does past mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: paster |
- earlier than the present time; no longer current
- examples: time past | his youth is past | this past Thursday | the past year
- antonyms: present; future
- similar: ago / agone; ancient; bygone / bypast / departed / foregone / gone; chivalric / knightly / medieval; early / former / other; erstwhile / former / old / one-time / onetime / quondam / sometime; former / late / previous; historic / historical; last; late / recent; olden; other; prehistoric / prehistorical; then; ult / ultimo
- attribute: timing = the time when something happens
- see also: noncurrent; outgoing; old
- of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office
Alternative definition of the adjective past
- Having already happened; in the past; finished. [definition from 14th c.]
- [context: postmodifier] Following expressions of time to indicate how long ago something happened; ago. [definition from 15th c.]
- Of a period of time: having just gone by; previous. [definition from 15th c.]
- [grammar] Of a tense, expressing action that has already happened or a previously-existing state. [definition from 18th c.]
Definition of the adverb past
What does past mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- so as to pass a given point
- example: every hour a train goes past
- synonym of past: by
Alternative definition of the adverb past
- in a direction that passes
Other definitions of past
What does past also mean?
- beyond in place, quantity or time
PAST was a Polish telephone operator in the period between World War I and World War II. It is notable for its main headquarters in Warsaw, which at the time of its construction was the first and tallest skyscraper in the Russian Empire and the tallest building of Warsaw. The fight for the building during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 also added to the legend of the place.
"Past" a.k.a. "The Trap" is a 1950 Czech drama film directed by Martin Frič. It was entered into the 1951 Cannes Film Festival.
- read more about The Trap
"Past" is a 1935 outdoor sculpture by Robert Ingersoll Aitken, located in front of the National Archives Building in Washington, D.C. John Russell Pope served as the sculpture's architect and Edward H. Ratti served as its carver. The sculpture is made of Indiana limestone and measures approximately 20 x 8 x 12 feet, with a base approximately 12 x 12 x 15 feet. Past is a companion piece to Present, also located in front of the National Archives Building.
- completed in (81 years ago)
"Past" is a musical album of Earwig.
- released in (24 years ago)
The past is a term used to indicate the totality of events which occurred before a given point in time. The past is contrasted with and defined by the present and the future. The concept of the past is derived from the linear fashion in which human observers experience time, and is accessed through memory and recollection. In addition, human beings have recorded the past since the advent of written language.
- also known as 過去
Phrases with Past
Phrases starting with the word Past:
Phrases ending with the word Past:
- go past
- Ten Past
- Five Past
- Half Past
- Talk Past
- to go past
- In the Past
- Simple Past
View more phrases with the word Past in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Past
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Gentlemlen's Lexicon; Or, A Pocket Dictionary, Containing Nearly Every Work in the English Language (1835)
Being Also Particularly Adapted to the Use of Academies and Schools by William Grimshaw
unjualifying; past, unqualified. UNQUESTIONABLE. adj. Indubitable. adv. unquestionably: adj. unquestioned. UNQUI'ET, adj. Not calm; not disturbed. UNRAVEL. v. To disentangle; to extricate . pr., ...
by The Educational Company of Ireland
Past dúirt mé, etc (Aut. deirtear) (Aut. dúradh): (Aut. deirtí) Cond. Mood déarfainn, etc : Pres. Subj. deire mé, etc (Aut. déarfaí) (Aut. deirtear) : (Aut. abairtear). H. Past deirinn, etc (Aut. déarfar). Impr M. abraírn, etc Future déarfaidh mé, etc 2. beìr, ...
by Roeland van Hout
Introduction It is well-known that advanced L2 speakers of English from certain LI backgrounds show persistent optionality in marking thematic verbs for simple past tense in spontaneous oral production, as for example in The police caught the ...
In which the Words are Deduced from Their Originals, Their Part of Speech Pointed Out, and Their Synonyms Collected, which are Occasionally Illustrated in Their Different Significations, by Examples from the Best Writers by William Perry (lecturer in the Academy at Edinburgh.), William Perry (of Kelso, Scotland.), Samuel Johnson
Past. Participle. Make made made may' might mean meant meant meet met met melt melted jnolten mow mowed mown, mowed must* Owe owed, ought owed, owen Put put put Quit quitted, quit quitted, quit quoth* quoth Read read ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Past
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Past
Click on an item to view that photo:
An old gun boat that is not in use anymore that is laying in ruin by Pitite Bateau in Conakry, Guinea.
Photo credit: Jeff Attaway
Photo credit: K J Payne
Convento de Santa Maria de Aguiar, Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo, Portugal
Photo credit: F H Mira
Photo credit: SkyFireXII
Photo credit: funcrush28
Photo credit: BG³Photo
Photo credit: jmettraux
Some grafitti - Southport - June 08
Photo credit: Karen_O'D
Photo credit: lisa-skorpion
Photo credit: mimolag
The past can not be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased...the past can only be accepted.
Photo credit: Kashif John
- Train past
Photo credit: Banalities
- Past the Flooded Bridge
Photo credit: andyarthur
- Flying past
Photo credit: MICOLO J Thanx 4, 3.4m views
- Nineteen past four
Photo credit: Marco Nürnberger
- Futurism past
Photo credit: Monika Kostera (urbanlegend)
- Past goes with past
Past goes to past - Jackless
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted, streets are uneven when you're dow.
Photo credit: Jack.Less
- ... the vanishing past
Photo credit: www.carloscherer.eu
- Past Winter
Photo credit: HER-S
- Tomorrow's Past
Ann Arbor Art Center
Felch St. Ann Arbor, MI
Stone Trellis HDR
Photo credit: Joslynan
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Past
Click on an item to play that video:
- David Icke ; Hidden meaning of the Human Past
David Icke is one of the most controversial personalities in the world, and this week host William Henry interviews him about his view of the hidden meaning of ...
- Past participial Meaning
Video shows what past participial means. of, or relating to, the past participle. Past participial Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Using the Present Tenses with a Past or Future Meaning
You already know how to use present simple and present continuous in English to talk about the present - but did you know that these two tenses can be used to ...
- Past Forever Lyric Meaning
- Star Trek on Interpreting the Meaning of Past Events
In this Star Trek Episode, two officers debate whether or not Davy Crockett, an 19th century American war hero, truly died a hero's death or surrendered to Santa ...
- Past Meaning
Video shows what past means. The period of time that has already happened, in contrast to the present and the future.. The past tense.. past pronunciation.
- Ten past Meaning
Video shows what ten past means. ten minutes past any hour. ten past pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. ten past meaning.
- Past historic tense Meaning
Video shows what past historic tense means. A tense used in some languages (such as French and Italian) in narrative, and in spoken language primarily when ...
- Racing Term #220 "Past Performances" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- 773 Past is over and gone so change the meaning!
- Five past Meaning
Video shows what five past means. five minutes past any hour. five past pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. five past meaning.
- Run past Meaning
Video shows what run past means. To bring an idea or proposal to the attention of someone in order to obtain their opinion.. Run past Meaning. How to ...
- Death Star's Past Explanation Video!
- [HQ] toe - past and language
toe - past and language from RGB please support toe for buying their RGBdvd!
- TOE LIVE AT THE REGENT: Past And Language
Shot on Location at: The Regent Theater in Los Angeles, CA Thursday July 2, 2015 Music performed LIVE by toe: Kashikura Takashi (Drums) Mino Takaaki ...
- Unreal Conditionals: Present/Future and Past verb forms
See also the pronunciation examples of Past!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Past
Past times are strange
Brings change of views
Change of ideas
Change of heart
The wounds of the past
The past is strange
And doesn’t change
Change (Missy Lynn)
more quotes about past...
Scrabble value of P3A1S1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PAST
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Past!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Past to see it in context!