On this page:
- Definition of the adjective periodical
- Definition of the noun periodical
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Periodical
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Periodical
- Photos about Periodical
- Video about Periodical
- Quotes about Periodical
- Scrabble value of P3E1R1I1O1D2I1C3A1L1
- Anagrams of PERIODICAL
- Share this page
Periodical is a member of the word family period, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective periodical
What does periodical mean as an attribute of a noun?
- happening or recurring at regular intervals
- synonym of periodical: periodic
- similar: cyclic; oscillating / oscillatory; diurnal; daily / day-after-day / day-by-day / day-to-day; nightly; hebdomadal / hebdomadary / weekly; biweekly / semiweekly; hourly; half-hourly; biweekly / fortnightly; annual / yearly; biannual / biyearly / half-yearly / semiannual; biennial / biyearly; triennial; monthly; bimestrial / bimonthly; bimonthly / semimonthly; semestral / semestrial; midweekly
Alternative definition of the adjective periodical
- See Periodic.
- Published at regular intervals of more than one day, especially weekly, monthly, or quarterly
- Of, or relating to such a publication
Definition of the noun periodical
What does periodical mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: periodicals
- a publication that appears at fixed intervals
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic word: publication = a copy of a printed work offered for distribution
- more specific terms:
- digest = a periodical that summarizes the news
- pictorial = a periodical (magazine or newspaper) containing many pictures
- serial publication / serial / series = a periodical that appears at scheduled times
- organ = a periodical that is published by a special interest group
- number / issue = one of a series published periodically
- journal = a periodical dedicated to a particular subject
- review = a periodical that publishes critical essays on current affairs or literature or art
Alternative definition of the noun periodical
- A publication issued regularly, but less frequently than daily
- synonym: serial
- A publication that appears at fixed intervals
- Often contains the most current information in the field, on every conceivable topic, often in greater detail than other publication formats.
- The primary means for communication of original scholarship or creative work at the cutting edge of research in almost all fields.
- The periodical this person edited.
- The periodical published in this format during this period.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Periodical
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
at regular intervals, eg weekly, monthly or quarterly: The reference library has various newspapers and periodicals. c» adjective Periodical means at regular intervals or every now and then: You will need periodical check-ups for the next five ...
An Alphabetical Subject Index and Index Encyclopaedia to Periodical Articles on Religion, 1890-1899 (1907)
by Ernest Cushing Richardson
PERIODICAL ARTICLES ON RELIGION, l890-1899 AN ALPHABETICAL SUBJECT INDEX AND INDEX ENCYCLOPAEDIA to PERIODICAL ARTICLES.
by David W. South
(Periodical). A PennWell Publication. Lewis Publishers, Inc. Lifetree Software, Inc . Logitech, Inc. Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). (US Department of Defense). l.OTUS. (Periodical). By Lotus Publishing Corp., a subsidiary of the Lotus ...
by Wilhelm Kirch
Synonyms Periodic medical examination; Periodical medical examination Definition Periodical health examinations are carried out as a type of follow-up health examination at regular intervals. The periodicity of these examinations should ...
Encyclopedia of the Essay (1997)
by Tracy Chevalier
others who perpetuated the stylistic and topical qualities that had made the periodical essay so important. But such essays came to readers as preformed collections in bookshops or lending libraries, rather than as segments of discourse ...
M regular periodical vibration 15 measured by TTB evident, that however small the uantity 111 may be, it will become very considerable when ivided by EF— _B, as F and V B approach to each other; and accordingly it is observed, that when ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Periodical
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Periodical
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Periodical room.
Local call number: T. R. Cab 5.9
Title: Periodical room.
Creator/Contributor: Newton W. Elwell (photographer)
Genre: Photomechanical prints
Publisher: Geo. H. Polley & Co., Boston, Mass.
Date issued: 1896
Physical description: 1 photograph : photomechanical print ; 26 x 34 cm
General notes: Title and date from item.; Image in: The Boston Public Library / Photographed by N. W. Elwell, 1896, Plate XXI.
Subjects: Public libraries; Interiors; Periodicals; Columns; Boston Public Library
Collection: Trustees' Library
Series: The Boston Public Library, photographed by N. W. Elwell, 1896
Location: Boston Public Library, Rare Books Department
Rights: No known copyright restrictions.
Photo credit: Boston Public Library
- Periodical Colors
Photo credit: Pat Belanger
View more pictures about periodical cicada.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Periodical
Video shows what periodical means. A publication issued regularly, but less frequently than daily.. A publication that appears at fixed intervals.. A publication ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Periodical!
Quotes about Periodical
If we glance at the most important revolutions in history, we see at once that the greatest number of these originated in the periodical revolutions on the human mind. (Wilhelm von Humboldt)
more quotes about periodical...
Scrabble value of P3E1R1I1O1D2I1C3A1L1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PERIODICAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Periodical!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Periodical to see it in context!