On this page:
- Philo of Alexandria, also called Philo Judaeus, was a Hellenistic Jewish philosopher who lived in Alexandria, in the Roman province of Egypt.
- born in 0019 B.C. (2035 years ago) in Alexandria
- ethnicity: Jewish people
- profession: Philosopher
- died in (1966 years ago)
- Philo is the Hellenistic Jewish author of an epic poem in Greek hexameters on the history of Jerusalem. He lived at an earlier date than Philo the philosopher. Alexander Polyhistor quotes several passages of the poem, and is the source of the extracts in Eusebius. This is probably the Philo who is mentioned by Clemens Alexandrinus and by Josephus, who calls him "the elder".
Philo is a record label.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 1999 film Jesus.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 1989 film UHF.
- Philo is a fictional character from The Assistants.
- Philo is a fictional film character.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 1993 film The Last Outlaw.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 1921 film Theodora, The Slave Princess.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 2004 children's animated feature film Care Bears: Journey to Joke-a-lot.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 2004 film Aleesha.
- Philo is a fictional character from the 1962 film The Three Stooges Meet Hercules.
"PHILO" is a musical album of Philo.
- released on (15 years ago)
- Philo is a village in Muskingum County, Ohio, United States, along the Muskingum River. The population was 733 at the 2010 census.
- Philo is a village about nine miles south of Urbana in Champaign County, Illinois, United States. The population was 1,466 at the 2010 census.
- Philo is a census-designated place in Mendocino County, California. It is located 5.5 miles northwest of Boonville, at an elevation of 331 feet. The population was 349 at the 2010 census.
There are other places with in their name, like Philo Township.
Philo is a peer-reviewed academic journal with a focus on the discussion of philosophical issues from an explicitly naturalist perspective. The journal publishes articles, critical discussions, review essays, and book reviews in all fields of philosophy, and welcomes work on the philosophical credentials of both naturalism and various supernaturalist alternatives to naturalism. Philo is the journal of the Society of Humanist Philosophers. It is published at the Center for Inquiry with assistance from Purdue University. Electronic access to the journal is provided by the Philosophy Documentation Center.
- official website: www.philoonline.org
Phrases with Philo
- Anthene Philo
- Tetrica Philo
- Aenasius Philo
- Parantica Philo
- Hydropsyche philo
- Species Anthene Philo
- Species Tetrica Philo
- Species Aenasius Philo
- Species Parantica Philo
- species Hydropsyche philo
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Philo
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Faithful Reading (2012)
New Essays in Theology in Honour of Fergus Kerr, OP by Simon Oliver, Karen Kilby, Thomas O'Loughlin
Philo is an important addition to the list of those who understand God's self- disclosure to Moses on Sinai as meaning that God...
by Graham Oppy, Michael Scott
Philo is a more sceptical philosopher, strongly opposed to the arguments of both Demea and Cleanthes.
This Bread of Peace (2010)
by Philo Ikonya
Philo is a Kenyan-born writer and lecturer, currently living in exile in Norway.
Interpreting the Transformation of the Heart by Kyle Wells
Philo refers to this text elsewhere (e.g., Conf.
The Mysticism of Hebrews (2012)
Exploring the Role of Jewish Apocalyptic Mysticism in the Epistle to the Hebrews by Jody A. Barnard
Although Philo refers to the Logos in personal terms, ...
Die For Me (2007)
by Don Lasseter
Philo is a tiny hamlet situated in the verdant rolling foothills of California's Trinity Alps, approximately twenty miles west of Ukiah. Black oaks, manzanita and a few Jeffrey pines border the region's fertile grape vineyards that once were cattle ...
A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship by Craig A. Evans, Stanley E. Porter, Jr.
It was undoubtedly the social standing of the family that led the Jewish community to select Philo, Alexander and the young Tiberius Julius Alexander as members of the ...
Revised Full-Color Edition by Merrill C. Tenney
Philo. Scholars have been particularly intrigued by numerous parallels of thought and word between PHILO JUDAEUS and the fourth gospel, especially the use of the term logos (word). Philo of Alexandria, who flourished during the time of ...
by A. Bowdoin Van Riper
Philo T. Farnsworth—born in Utah, raised in rural Idaho, and educated at Brigham Young University—was one of a half-dozen inventors who, between 1919 and 1939, made television a reality. Farnsworth's critical contribution was the "image ...
by George Haggerty, Bonnie Zimmerman
Philo. of. Alexandria. (Philo. Judaeus). (c.20. B.C.E.–c.50. C.E.). This Jewish philosopher and interpreter of Jewish sacred writings was born to a wealthy family of considerable social standing and political influence in the large Jewish ...
by David Edward Aune
Alexandria was home to the largest Jewish population outside Palestine, and Philo was a member of one of its more prominent families. Combining a Hellenistic education with a Jewish upbringing, Philo was strongly influenced by Middle ...
by Gerhard Kittel, Geoffrey William Bromiley, Gerhard Friedrich
— Philo shares this ...
Encyclopedia of Catholicism (2006)
by Frank K. Flinn
Jewish Neoplatonist theologian and philosopher Philo of Alexandria, a prominent Jewish scholar and leader of the local Jewish community of the first century, authored a number of biblical commentaries that would become ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Philo
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Philo
South of Philo
Photo credit: Helga's Lobster Stew
View more pictures about Philo Farnsworth.
Videos about Philo
Click on an item to play that video:
- Beautiful lecturer Interest explanation : Intro to Philo...
- Philo Mating Call (piedmont dialect)
Philo Mating Call (piedmont dialect)- Philomathean Literary Society, Erskine College, Due West, SC.
- Danny Wilten - Philo Of Alexandria (20BCE-50CE) Provides Description Of Christ
IMPORTANT LINKS BELOW: The Image Of The Archetype: ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Philo!
Quotes about Philo
Scrabble value of P3H4I1L1O1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Philo to see it in context!