On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun platan
What does platan mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: platans
- any of several trees of the genus Platanus having thin pale bark that scales off in small plates and lobed leaves and ball-shaped heads of fruits
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonyms of platan: plane tree / sycamore
- more generic word: tree = a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown
- more specific terms:
- Platanus acerifolia / London plane = very large fast-growing tree much planted as a street tree
- Platanus occidentalis / American sycamore / American plane / buttonwood = very large spreading plane tree of eastern and central North America to Mexico
- Platanus orientalis / oriental plane = large tree of southeastern Europe to Asia Minor
- California sycamore / Platanus racemosa = tall tree of Baja California having deciduous bark and large alternate palmately lobed leaves and ball-shaped clusters of flowers
- Platanus wrightii / Arizona sycamore = medium-sized tree of Arizona and adjacent regions having deeply lobed leaves and collective fruits in groups of 3 to 5
- member of: genus Platanus / Platanus = genus of large monoecious mostly deciduous trees: London plane
- substance: lacewood / sycamore = variably colored and sometimes variegated hard tough elastic wood of a sycamore tree
Alternative definition of the noun platan
- [context: now rare, literary] A plane tree.
Platan is a Czech regional beer label. It is produced by Městský Pivovar PLATAN s. r. o. in the South Bohemian town of Protivín. It is a regional beer with a little bit of a bitter taste. Platan got its name from an alley of plane trees, because "plane tree" is "platan" in Czech.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Platan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Plato's Defence of Poetry (1984)
by Julius A. Elias
HI Perceval Frutiger's Les Mythes de Platan is a model of ...
World Beer (2013)
cz even though the brewery is named after Protivín, a small southern Bohemian town where it has been making beer for several centuries, Platan is the branding ...
A Dictionary of the Economic Products of India: pt. 1. Pachyrhizus to Rye. pt. 2. Sabadilla to Silica. pt. 3. Silk to Tea. pt. 4. Tectona to Zygophillum (1892)
by Sir George Watt
PLATAN US, Linn.
Dictionary of Hard Words (1910)
by Robert Morris Pierce
plane-tree, platan, plane [former synonymous cognate platan] 'ptaentin, 'ptaen-ten. plantar adj. (of the sole of the foot) 'ptaentaz. plaque я. (ornamental plate; eruption; blood-plate) pta:k, pta:k, ptaek. plasma n.
The Encyclopaedic Dictionary (1886)
A New & Original Work of Reference to All the Words in the English Language, with a Full Account of Their Origin, Meaning, Pronunciation, & Use
[Platan.] plat a nis -ta, s. (Lat., from Gr. w\m- norn; (vlatahistes), probably = the species described below. ] Zool, : A genus of Platanistidae (q.v.). Teeth, about |3 on each side ; rostrum and dentigerous portion of the mandible so narrow that the ...
by Charles Richardson
See Platan, infra, Jacob (took) grene popil jerdis, and of almanders, and of planes.— Wic. Gen. xxx. 37. PLANET .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Platan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Platan
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Platan
Video shows what platan means. A planetree.. Platan Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say platan. Powered by MaryTTS ...
Scrabble value of P3L1A1T1A1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PLATAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Platan!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Platan to find many related words and phrases!