On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb play along
What does play along mean as a doing phrase?
- cooperate or pretend to cooperate
- perform an accompaniment to
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] Sandy sang [Agent - being] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Theme] Sandy sang me a song [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Sandy sang a song [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] for [Beneficiary] Sandy sang a song for me [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to [Beneficiary] Sandy sang a song to me
- domain: music
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of play along: accompany / follow
- more generic word: play = play on an instrument
Alternative definition of the verb play along
- [idiomatic] To take part in a charade, deception, or practical joke
- "Play Along" is a musical EP of Stuck On Planet Earth.
- released on
- "Play Along" is a musical EP of Scott Olgard.
- released in (4 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Play Along
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Maurice Waite
play along pretend to cooperate. play something by ear 1 perform music without having seen a score.
by Christine Ammer
along ➧ In addition to the idioms beginning with along, also see all along; all along the line; be along; come along; follow along; get along; go along; play along; run along; string along. along for the ride Participating but not actively ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Play Along
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about play along
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb play along:
Photos about Play Along
Click on an item to view that photo:
Play Along with Kyle
Photo credit: cogdogblog
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Play Along
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Willfulness to Play Along for Meaning (Thursday)
- A Willfulness to Play Along for Meaning (11/18/14)
Clips from the 40minutes of performance on November 18th in the Mason Gross project space. Installation and direction by Jordan Wason. Short Statement: If ...
- Play along Meaning
Video shows what play along means. To take part in a charade, deception, or practical joke. Play along Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Play Along - Play Along With - Phrasal Verbs - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Play Along!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Play Along to see it in context!