The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun plaything:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun plaything
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Plaything
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Plaything
- Photos about Plaything
- Video about Plaything
- Quotes about Plaything
- Scrabble value of P3L1A1Y4T1H4I1N1G2
- Anagrams of PLAYTHING
- Share this page
The word plaything is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun plaything
What does plaything mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: playthings
- an artifact designed to be played with
- examples: The mind is nothing but a plaything of the body. | I'm not your plaything.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of plaything: toy
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms:
- ball = a spherical object used as a plaything
- balloon = small thin inflatable rubber bag with narrow neck
- cockhorse = anything used as a toy horse
- dolly / doll = a small replica of a person
- doll's house / dollhouse = a small model of a house used as a toy by children
- rocking horse / hobbyhorse / hobby = a child's plaything consisting of an imitation horse mounted on rockers
- hula-hoop = plaything consisting of a tubular plastic hoop for swinging around the hips
- jack-in-the-box = plaything consisting of a toy clown that jumps out of a box when the lid is opened
- jungle gym = a structure of vertical and horizontal rods where children can climb and play
- jumping jack = plaything consisting of a toy figure with movable joints that can be made to dance by pulling strings
- kaleidoscope = an optical toy in a tube
- kite = plaything consisting of a light frame covered with tissue paper
- pea shooter = a straight narrow tube through which pellets (as dried peas) can be blown at a target
- pinata = plaything consisting of a container filled with toys and candy
- pinwheel wind collector / pinwheel = a toy consisting of vanes of colored paper or plastic that is pinned to a stick and spins when it is pointed into the wind
- wendy house / playhouse = plaything consisting of a small model of a house that children can play inside of
- pogo stick = plaything consisting of a pole with foot rests and a strong spring
- popgun = plaything consisting of a toy gun that makes a popping sound
- rattle = a baby's toy that makes percussive noises when shaken
- sandpile / sandbox / sandpit = a plaything consisting of a pile of sand or a box filled with sand for children to play in
- teeter-totter / tilting board / dandle board / teetertotter / teeterboard / seesaw / teeter = a plaything consisting of a board balanced on a fulcrum
- playground slide / sliding board / slide = plaything consisting of a sloping chute down which children can slide
- slingshot / catapult / sling = a plaything consisting of a Y-shaped stick with elastic between the arms
- stick horse = a child's plaything consisting on an imitation horse's head on one end of a stick
- swing = mechanical device used as a plaything to support someone swinging back and forth
- teddy bear / teddy = plaything consisting of a child's toy bear
- spinning top / whirligig / teetotum / top = a conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin
- train set = a toy consisting of small models of railroad trains and the track for them to run on
- water pistol / squirt gun / water gun / squirter = plaything consisting of a toy pistol that squirts water
- yo-yo = a toy consisting of a spool that is reeled up and down on a string by motions of the hand
Alternative definition of the noun plaything
- A thing or person intended for playing with.
Who is Plaything?
Plaything is a musical group.
- member of musical group Snap! vs. Plaything
- albums: "Into Space", "Do You See the Light"
- nomination: - nominated to Echo Award for Best Dance Single (International) - "Into Space"
"Plaything" is a book by Penny Birch.
- "Plaything" is a song by American singer Rebbie Jackson, the first single from her third album R U Tuff Enuff. It reached #8 on the US R&B chart, making it her second biggest hit on that chart after 1984's Centipede.
- "Plaything" is a musical single of Linx.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Plaything" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by Jack Fishman
- "Plaything" is a musical single of Raffish.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Plaything" is a musical album of Bill Nelson.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Plaything" is a composition.
- "Plaything" is a musical album of Ashes to Ashes.
- "Plaything" is the 1988 single album by Rebbie Jackson.
- released on (26 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Plaything
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Other Dictionary (2009)
by Marc Loewenthal
subjective assertion of one's existence as girl's plaything; 2. girl's plaything in the form of optical organ subjective assertion of one's existence as large woody plant bearing American currency subjective assertion ...
Dictionary of Witchcraft (2014)
by David Pickering
Variously known as soldiers' woundwort, nose bleed, milfoil, devil's plaything, thousand weed and bad man's plaything, yarrow was widely believed to be a protective against evil, probably because in Christian legend it was the first herb held ...
by Matthias Bedrossian
player; dancer; game, play, toy, plaything; trifle, trifling amusement, foolery ; gewgaw, bawble; fig. laughing-stock, butt; - alik, , to become the laughing-stock of; – unoh, to make game of; ...
by Joseph Emerson Worcester
PLAYTHING. PLURAL. PLXY1 THING, n. A thing to play with. PLEA (pie), n. That which is alleged in support of a cause ; defence. PLEAD, v. To make pleas ; to argue. PLEAD'ER,n.One who pleads or argues. PLEAD'ING, n. Act or form of ...
A Dictionary of English Synonymes and Synonymous Or Parallel Expressions Designed as a Practical Guide to Aptness and Variety of Phraseology (1891)
by Richard Soule
Toy, plaything, knick-knack, gim- crack, gewgaw, bawble, trifle, iiggumbob (comic), 2. Dexterity, adroitness, dextrousness, skill ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Plaything
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Plaything
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jos Dielis
Photo credit: Jacqui Brown
- Favoured Plaything
The idiocy of your infantile race truly knows no bounds.
Photo credit: Ynneadwraith
- Crumpled plaything
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Ylris, Favoured Plaything
Ylris sprinted across the battlefield in great leaps and bounds, ribbons billowing gracefully behind her. Desperately, she fought to keep her death-dance pitch-perfect. Every leap and footfall the very epitome of acrobatic grace. She could feel the eyes of the Prince of Perfection as a great pressure on the back of her soul, scrutinising her every move for a hint of anything out of place. On her next landing, she clipped a stone and stumbled. "No!" she screamed. A scream cut short as her soul was wrenched from her frame and returned to its eternal torment, her lifeless body slumping to the floor. Around her, her kin continued their dance unflinching, utterly absorbed in their own survival. Elsewhere, another fallen warrior rose to its feet, home to another long-dead soul plucked from the aether. Perhaps this plaything would do better, an infintessimal fraction of the vast rumbling thought processes of Slaanesh mused. This was a frightfully entertaining game!
Such is the life of a Croneworld Cultist. Cursed by their forebears, who in their arrogance thought they could birth a God in their image. Little did they know the soul-child of their race had far more sordid ambitions. They live a fraught existence as playthings for She-Who-Thirsts, yet still they endure. These cursed creatures. Desperate to avoid her attentions, and equally desperate to please her, their lives are utterly at the mercy of the most fickle of Gods.
Photo credit: Ynneadwraith
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Plaything
Video shows what plaything means. A thing or person intended for playing with.. Plaything Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Plaything!
Quotes about Plaything
Of all the toys available, none is better designed than the owner himself. A large multipurpose plaything, its parts can be made to move in almost any direction. It comes completely assembled, and it makes a sound when you jump on it. (Stephen Baker)
more quotes about plaything...
Scrabble value of P3L1A1Y4T1H4I1N1G2
The value of this 9-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PLAYTHING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Plaything!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Plaything to see it in context!