The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun pod:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun pod
- Definition of the verb pod
- Other definitions of pod
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Pod
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pod
- Photos about Pod
- Videos about Pod
- Quotes about Pod
- Scrabble value of P3O1D2
- Anagrams of POD
- Share this page
Pod is sometimes a misspelling of pond.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun pod
What does pod mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: pods
- the vessel that contains the seeds of a plant (not the seeds themselves)
- a several-seeded dehiscent fruit as e.g. of a leguminous plant
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of pod: seedpod
- more generic word: fruit = the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant
- more specific terms:
- legume = the fruit or seed of any of various bean or pea plants consisting of a case that splits along both sides when ripe and having the seeds attach to one side of the case
- peanut = underground pod of the peanut vine
- screw bean = spirally twisted sweet pod of screwbean mesquite that is used for fodder or ground into meal for feed
- okra = long green edible beaked pods of the okra plant
- cowage = pods of the cowage plant or the stinging hairs covering them
- loment = seedpods that are constricted between the seeds and that break apart when mature into single-seeded segments
- a group of aquatic mammals
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic term: animal group = a group of animals
- a detachable container of fuel on an airplane
Alternative definition of the noun pod
- [botany] a seed case for legumes (e.g. peas, beans, peppers)
- a small vehicle, especially used in emergency situations
- A group of whales, dolphins, porpoises or hippopotami.
Specialised definition of the noun pod
Glossary of sports / luge
an aerodynamically shaped shell that hangs from the bridges. It serves as the athlete's seat
Definition of the verb pod
What does pod mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: podded, podding
- take something out of its shell or pod
- example: pod peas or beans
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Source] The cook boned the fish
Verbs of Removing (with the same syntax): bark, beard, bone, burl, core, gill, gut, head, hull, husk, lint, louse, milk, peel, pinion, pip, pit, pith, poll, pulp, rind, scale, scalp, seed, shell, shuck, skin, snail, stalk, stem, stone, string, tail, tassel, vein, weed, wind, worm, zest.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- more generic word: shell = remove from its shell or outer covering
- produce pods, of plants
Other definitions of pod
What does pod also mean?
- print on demand
- POD a.k.a. P.O.D.: Payable on Death is an American Christian alternative metal band formed in 1992. The band's line-up consists of vocalist Sonny Sandoval, drummer Wuv Bernardo, guitarist Marcos Curiel, and bassist Traa Daniels. They have released six major label studio albums along with two independent albums and have sold over 12 million records worldwide. Over the course of their career, the band has received three Grammy Award nominations, contributed to numerous motion picture soundtracks and toured internationally. With their third studio album, The Fundamental Elements of Southtown, they achieved their initial mainstream success; the album was certified Platinum by the RIAA in 2000. Their following studio album, Satellite, continued the band's success with the singles, "Alive" and "Youth of the Nation", pushing it to go triple platinum.
- read more about P.O.D.
- Pod is a musical group.
- album: "Station"
- Pod a.k.a. Kenny Larkin is an American techno producer from Detroit. He has been described by Allmusic as "massively influential" on American, British, and German techno.
- read more about Kenny Larkin
- Pod a.k.a. Jon Podgorski was a member of the musical group Thompson Twins.
- read more about Jon Podgorski
- "Pod" is the debut album by the American alternative rock band The Breeders, released on the independent record label 4AD in May 1990. Engineered by Steve Albini, Pod was recorded at Palladium Studios, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- genre: Alternative rock
- released on (24 years ago)
- "POD" is a song by American rock band Tenacious D, featured on their 2006 second album The Pick of Destiny. Written by Jack Black and Kyle Gass, the song was released as the lead single from the album on October 30, 2006 and reached number 57 on the American Billboard Pop 100 singles chart.
- "Pod", released May 4, 2004 by Real World Records, is essentially a remix album by Afro Celt Sound System of their first three albums, Volume 1: Sound Magic, Volume 2: Release, and Volume 3: Further in Time, done by members of the band and new artists as well, including some songs previously unavailable. It is also accompanied by a DVD of some music videos and some clips of their live tour.
- "POD" is a 2006 single by Tenacious D.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Pod" is a musical album of Andrew Lagowski.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "POD" is a musical album of Sam Rosenthal.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Pod" is a composition.
- music by Jonah Sharp
- Pod a.k.a. Pod Clock is a fictional character from The Borrowers.
- read more about Pod Clock
- Pod is a fictional character from the 2010 film Bangkok Knockout.
- Pod is a fictional character from the book The Enemy.
- Pod is a fictional character from the 2004 Thai romance film Citizen Dog.
Pod is a record label.
Pod a.k.a. Podor Airport is an airport serving Podor, a town in the Saint-Louis Region of Senegal. Podor is located on Morfil Island between the Sénégal River and Doué River.
- part of Senegal
- Pod is a series of digital guitar amplifier modelers from Line 6. Pods are designed to digitally simulate amplifiers. Most Pods also include cabinet models, and all Pods include effects models. All Pod variants include headphone ports and recording ports, and can be used to feed a signal into an amp or directly into a PA system. Some variants include USB for direct recording interface with a computer.
- Pod is 2001 JBF Awards nominated restaurant in Philadelphia.
- POD a.k.a. Peace One Day is a non-profit organisation whose objective is "to institutionalise the International Day of Peace, 21 September, making it a day that is self-sustaining, an annual day of global unity, a day of intercultural cooperation on a scale that humanity has never known.
- read more about Peace One Day
- Pod a.k.a. Ponares Language is an human language.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Pod
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Novel Concepts, Theory and Applications by Pascual Marqu?s, Andrea Da Ronch
decomposition (POD) is a mathematical technique that is used in many applications, including data compression (Lawson 2007). An analogy can be made with the Taylor series or the Fourier transform, where the part of the infinite equation that does not add significantly to the data is neglected. In the case of fluid dynamics, the flow is decomposed into modes. The modes that make major changes to the flow are retained, and the rest are ignored. The principle behind POD is that any ...
Pancreatic Cancer (2011)
A Patient and His Doctor Balance Hope and Truth by Michael J. Lippe, Dung T. Le
The pod is an endlessly interesting place. At each of the chairs or beds a scene is played out. Sometimes the person receiving chemo is alone, but more often there is a companion. The faces tell stories of care and hope. There are old couples...
The pod is a place that renders everyone equal. There are the poor and the well- to-do, sitting side by side. It makes no difference. We are all sick, all going through the same process, all equal. That first morning, we met two people who would ...
(1) Handbook Techniques and Applications Design Methods, (2) Fabrication Techniques, (3) Manufacturing Methods, (4) Sensors and Actuators, (5) Medical Applications and MOEMS by Cornelius T. Leondes
The POD is a procedure for extracting a basis for modal decomposition from an ensemble of data obtained in the course of experiments or numerical simulations. This basis is a set of proper...
by Ernest Hodgson
The POD is a location between the source and the POE where concentrations are measured and the data used to demonstrate that the concentrations at the POE are safe, that is, the risk to the receptor meets the acceptable standard.
Assuming the source of chemicals is the underlying contaminated groundwater, the POD is any location between the groundwater and the POE where concentrations can be measured to demonstrate that the concentration at the POE is acceptable.
by Howley, Edward T., Thompson, Dixie
The Bod Pod is a commercially available air displacement plethysmograph (see figure 8.3). In this method, body volume is estimated while the subject sits in a sealed chamber. During testing...
Ubuntu 9.10 Packaging Guide (2009)
by Ubuntu Documentation Project
Using POD POD is a very simple but also elegant format for writing manual pages. It is much easier to learn than writing it directly in groff or using other alternatives like DocBook. 6.2.2. Basic template Below is a sample manpage template in 47 Packaging Guide. [Desktop Entry] Type=Application Name=foo Name[xx]=foo GenericName=Bar description Exec=kfoo Icon=kfoo Terminal= false Categories=Qt;KDE;Utility; build/myapp:: pod2man --section=1 --release=$( VERSION) --center ...
Fossils in Earth Sciences (2008)
by ANIS KUMAR RAY
Introduction Cephalopoda (cephalon means head; pod means foot; the animal uses its head as foot to propel its body) is one of the major classes of the phylum Mollusca. Animals are exclusively marine represented today by Nautilus, Sepia, octopus, etc. Since long, the class assumed importance to palaeontologists. It found extensive use in classification and correlation of marine successions of Mesozoic era. Its genera and species have also been effectively used in studying and ...
by Michael T. Murray, Joseph Pizzorno
The pod of the lima bean is slightly curved, averaging about 3 inches in length. Within the pod reside two to four flat flat, oblong, and kidney-shaped seeds, which are what we ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pod
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Pod
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: gomagoti
Photo credit: Thairms
Photo credit: dmott9
Photo credit: goldberg
- Seed pod
Photo credit: Jonas B
- Santa Pod
Photo credit: Steve Bowbrick
- Pod - poppy
Photo credit: nutfog
- Wind Disperse Pod
Photo credit: lil' penguin
- Pod Hotel
Photo credit: p_a_h
- A Cocoa pod
Cocoa is a growing business in Grenada, but it still far behind spice production and tourism in terms of importance.
Photo credit: Justin Otto
- Magnolia pod
Photo credit: bluesman46
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Pod
Click on an item to play that video:
- Rocket pod Meaning
Video shows what rocket pod means. A magazine holding rockets.. Rocket pod Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say rocket pod.
- What Is The Definition Of BOD POD Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Business English Vocabulary, Pod Introducing Course Builder
- Business English Vocabulary, Pod 3rd Anniversary, iPhone Winner
- Like 2 Peas In A Pod - Similes - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Pod - 3 Letter Words You Didn't Know - ESL British English Pronunciation
- ESL Drift Subaru Impreza at Santa Pod
ESL Drift Subaru Impreza at Santa Pod.
- POD HD 500: Patches description (Clean | Crunch | HiGain)
Clean, Crunch and HiGain patches are described here.
- [pod.Live] ESL CPS 12 | Team Acer vs. PyRo|GEN
- Pod HD500 Ambient octo verb jam
- ESL Pro Series 3 FIFA 2003 - pod virtual gaming vs. a-Losers (Sven vs. gizmo)
- Pod language cast
- What Is The Definition Of BOD POD Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Inside Verb DC's HP Pod data centre
- BLN Language Pod at COSI Eye-tracking
A closer look at an eye-tracking study done at COSI by Ohio State researchers.
- ESL - Science & Technology - Tiny off-the-grid pod to raise living conditions in South African
In South African settlements life is hard for the residents. To solve the housing issue, one solution could possibly be to build small off grid pods for people to live ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Pod!
Quotes about Pod
Seed to pod, pod to twig,
Twig to stem, stem to root
And root to earth must be grateful
For their existence. Do they?
To be ungrateful is a part of life.
08.08.2006 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about pod...
Scrabble value of P3O1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of POD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Pod!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Pod to see it in context!