On this page:
Definition of the noun politico
What does politico mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: politicos / politicoes (less preferred form)
- a person active in party politics
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of politico: pol / political leader / politician
- more generic word: leader = a person who rules or guides or inspires others
- more specific terms:
- campaigner / candidate / nominee = a politician who is running for public office
- Communist = a member of the communist party
- rabble-rouser / demagogue / demagog = a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular passions and prejudices
- Democrat = a member of the Democratic Party
- Federalist = a member of a former political party in the United States that favored a strong centralized federal government
- Labourite = a member of the British Labour Party
- machine politician / political hack / ward-heeler / hack = a politician who belongs to a small clique that controls a political party for private rather than public ends
- Mugwump = someone who bolted from the Republican Party during the U.S. presidential election of 1884
- noncandidate = someone who has announced they are not a candidate
- political boss / party boss / boss = a leader in a political party who controls votes and dictates appointments
- party liner / party man = a member of a political party who follows strictly the party line
- Republican = a member of the Republican Party
- sachem = a political leader
- socialist = a political advocate of socialism
- standard-bearer = an outstanding leader of a political movement
- national leader / statesman / solon = a man who is a respected leader in national or international affairs
- technocrat = an advocate of technocracy
- Whig = a member of the Whig Party that existed in the United States before the American Civil War
- Grigori Aleksandrovich Potemkin / Grigori Potemkin / Grigori Potyokin / Potemkin / Potyokin = a Russian officer and politician who was a favorite of Catherine II and in 1762 helped her to seize power
- Nancy Witcher Astor / Viscountess Astor / Astor = British politician (born in the United States) who was the first woman to sit in the British House of Commons
- Alben William Barkley / Alben Barkley / Barkley = United States politician and lawyer
- William Maxwell Aitken / 1st Baron Beaverbrook / Beaverbrook = British newspaper publisher and politician
- Thomas Bradley / Tom Bradley / Bradley = United States politician who was elected the first black mayor of Los Angeles
- Boy Orator of the Platte / William Jennings Bryan / Great Commoner / Bryan = United States lawyer and politician who advocated free silver and prosecuted John Scopes (1925) for teaching evolution in a Tennessee high school
- Aaron Burr / Burr = United States politician who served as vice president under Jefferson
- Salmon Portland Chase / Salmon P. Chase / Chase = United States politician and jurist who served as chief justice of the United States Supreme Court
- Charles Joseph Clark / Joe Clark / Clark = Canadian politician who served as prime minister
- the Great Compromiser / Henry Clay / Clay = United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states
- DeWitt Clinton / Clinton = United States politician who as governor of New York supported the project to build the Erie Canal
- David Crockett / Davy Crockett / Crockett = United States frontiersman and Tennessee politician who died at the siege of the Alamo
- Stephen Arnold Douglas / Stephen A. Douglas / Little Giant / Douglas = United States politician who proposed that individual territories be allowed to decide whether they would have slavery
- Samuel Houston / Sam Houston / Houston = United States politician and military leader who fought to gain independence for Texas from Mexico and to make it a part of the United States
- Jesse Louis Jackson / Jesse Jackson / Jackson = United States civil rights leader who led a national campaign against racial discrimination and ran for presidential nomination
- Glenda Jackson / Jackson = English film actress who later became a member of British Parliament
- Andre Maginot / Maginot = French politician who proposed the Maginot Line
- Joseph Raymond McCarthy / Joseph McCarthy / McCarthy = United States politician who unscrupulously accused many citizens of being Communists
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan / Moynihan = United States politician and educator
- Mullah Mohammed Omar / Mullah Omar = reclusive Afghanistani politician and leader of the Taliban who imposed a strict interpretation of shariah law on Afghanistan
- Sir Robert Peel / Robert Peel / Peel = British politician
- Jeannette Rankin / Rankin = leader in the women's suffrage movement in Montana
- Nellie Tayloe Ross / Nellie Ross / Ross = a politician in Wyoming who was the first woman governor in the United States
- William Henry Seward / Seward = United States politician who as Secretary of State in 1867 arranged for the purchase of Alaska from Russia (known at the time as Seward's Folly)
- Daniel Webster / Webster = United States politician and orator
Alternative definition of the noun politico
- [context: colloquial, often derogatory] A politician.
- Politico is a fictional character from the 2009 film Le ombre rosse.
- Politico is a fictional character from the 2009 film The International.
- Politico is a fictional character from the 1996 film Night Falls on Manhattan.
"Politico" is a musical album of Mexican Institute of Sound.
- released on
Politico is an American political journalism organization based in Arlington County, Virginia, that distributes its content via television, the Internet, newspaper and radio. Its coverage of Washington, D.C., includes the U.S. Congress, lobbying, media and the Presidency. It was a sponsor of the 2008 Republican Presidential candidates debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on May 3, 2007, the 2008 Democratic Presidential candidates debate at the Kodak Theater on January 31, 2008, and the 2012 Republican Presidential candidates debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library on September 7, 2011.
- official website: politico.com
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Politico
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Clued in to Politics (2013)
A Critical Thinking Reader in American Government by Christine Barbour, Matthew J. Streb, D Christine Barbour
the source and the audience • Politico is a mainstream Washington newspaper and online journal widely read by people in politics. This is a straight news story ( not an opinion piece or analysis) on political science research. Why did the ...
by Bradley A. Levinson
Lo politico is a bit more abstract, referring to the process of politics. Or sometimes people will say "la politica politica" to refer to political processes, movements and such. Olga Vasquez: So Elsie, maybe you could continue the discussion of ...
by Reau Campbell
The Jefe Politico is the chief political ...
American Politics Today (2016)
Political science, Politics by CTI Reviews
politico: Politico is an American political journalism ...
History of the ancient and mediaeval philosophy by Friedrich Ueberweg
The Politico is a theory of the state on the basis of the Ethics.
by Gisela Bock, Quentin Skinner
The vivtre politico is a specific form of political organisation which precludes tyranny and despotic rule. In contrast, any form of political organisation is a state, as we can clearly sec from II Principe, ch. tv where Machiavelli speaks of 'lo stato del ...
by Edward I. Sidlow, Beth Henschen
Politico is a political news blog, and Roll Call is a newspaper covering Congress. Both have Facebook pages, and you can also follow either ofthem on Twitter.
by Kerric Harvey
Politico is a fast-paced, innovative Web site (and accompanying newspaper) with an audience of 60 million visitors. The site changed the face of political news reporting by helping bring the news cycle down to 15 to 20 minutes, as opposed ...
Covering American Politics in the 21st Century: An Encyclopedia of News Media Titans, Trends, and Controversies [2 volumes] (2016)
by Lee Banville
By 2011, the service expanded, launching a subscription service “Politico Pro” with “the goal of providing readers real-time intelligence on the politics, process and personalities involved in policy.” It has developed a steady audience of more ...
The Americas by Don Rubin, Carlos Solorzano
at the Teatro Politico; Santiago Garcia on Huelga ( The Strike, 1980) at the Cubana de Acero; Atahualpa del Cioppo of Uruguay on Pirandello's Tonight We Improvise ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Politico
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Politico
Photo credit: thekirbster
Video language resources about Politico
Click on an item to play that video:
- Politico Meaning
Video shows what politico means. A politician.. Politico Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say politico. Powered by MaryTTS ...
- Politico's Lois Romano uses dreaded "Tar Baby" language in reference to Obama
May 23, 2013 - MSNBC's Cris Jansing Show: In referring to President Obama's handling of the closing of Guantanamo, Politico's Lois Romano drops the "Tar ...
- Language of politics - Lenguaje politico
See also the pronunciation examples of Politico!
Scrabble value of P3O1L1I1T1I1C3O1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Politico to see it in context!