On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun pomelo
What does pomelo mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: pomelos
- southeastern Asian tree producing large fruits resembling grapefruits
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Citrus decumana / Aurantium decumanum / species Aurantium decumanum / Aurantium maximum / species Aurantium maximum / Citrus aurantium grandis / form Citrus aurantium grandis / Citrus aurantium decumana / subspecies Citrus aurantium decumana / variety Citrus aurantium decumana / variety Citrus aurantium grandis / Citrus costata / species Citrus costata / species Citrus decumana / Citrus grandis buntan / form Citrus grandis buntan / Citrus grandis kotokan / variety Citrus grandis kotokan / Citrus grandis pyriformis / variety Citrus grandis pyriformis / Citrus grandis racemosa / variety Citrus grandis racemosa / Citrus grandis sabon / variety Citrus grandis sabon / Citrus grandis yamabuki / variety Citrus grandis yamabuki / Citrus kotokan / species Citrus kotokan / Citrus kwangsiensis / species Citrus kwangsiensis / Citrus maxima / species Citrus maxima / Citrus obovoidea / species Citrus obovoidea / Citrus pampelmos / species Citrus pampelmos / Citrus pompelmos / species Citrus pompelmos / Citrus pyriformis / species Citrus pyriformis / Citrus sabon / species Citrus sabon / Citrus yamabuki / species Citrus yamabuki / Citrus grandis
- synonyms of pomelo: pomelo tree / pummelo / shaddock
- more generic terms: citrus / citrus tree = any of numerous tropical usually thorny evergreen trees of the genus Citrus having leathery evergreen leaves and widely cultivated for their juicy edible fruits having leathery aromatic rinds
- part: shaddock = large pear-shaped fruit similar to grapefruit but with coarse dry pulp
- member of: genus Citrus = orange; lemon; lime
- geographic area: Caribbean
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
- large pear-shaped fruit similar to grapefruit but with coarse dry pulp
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonym of pomelo: shaddock
- more generic terms: citrous fruit / citrus / citrus fruit = any of numerous fruits of the genus Citrus having thick rind and juicy pulp
- part of: Citrus decumana / Citrus grandis / Citrus maxima / pomelo tree / pummelo / shaddock = southeastern Asian tree producing large fruits resembling grapefruits
Alternative definition of the noun pomelo
- A large yellow citrus fruit native to southeastern Asia and Malaysia. It has a sweet flesh and is about 25 centimeters in diameter.
- A tree which produces pomelos, Citrus maxima.
- synonym: forbidden fruit
- [context: now chiefly US, and, South Africa] A grapefruit.
"Pomelo" a.k.a. "Pomelö" is a musical album of Quartetto Minimo.
- released on
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for pomelo
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Ethnic Cuisine - The Trilogy (2017)
by Dahlia & Marlène
Pomelo - The pomelo is a huge citrus fruit that hides under a thick rind of the segments similar to those of giant grapefruit. The difference is the taste that, in this tropical fruit, is sweet and refreshing. Rambutan - Tasteful and size similar to ...
Cambodian Cooking (2015)
A humanitarian project in collaboration with Act for Cambodia [Cambodian Cookbook, 60 Recipes] by Joannes Riviere, Dominique De Bourgknecht, David Lallemand
Pomelo is a citrus somewhat similar to grapefruit. It has greenish-yellow skin and pink flesh. The pomelo is drier, sweeter and has a much thicker and tougher peel. It is eaten as a fruit or broken up for salads. Grapefruit may be used as a ...
Heavenly Fragrance (2012)
Cooking with Aromatic Asian Herbs, Fruits, Spices and Seasonings by Carol Selva Selva Rajah
The pomelo is a close relative of the grapefruit. Cultivated by the Chinese for many thousands of years, the fruit is now widely grown throughout Southeast Asia. It is the largest of all citrus fruits although much of its bulk is a thick spongy skin ...
Asian Fusion (2011)
A Culinary Odyssey of Vegan Recipes by Chat Mingkwan
Pomelo is the giant grapefruit now readily available in almost all Asian markets in early winter. It is sweeter and less bitter than standard grapefruit and may be eaten either as a fruit or as a main ingredient in salad. Papaya is usually eaten ripe ...
Edible Memory (2015)
The Lure of Heirloom Tomatoes and Other Forgotten Foods by Jennifer A. Jordan
The pomelo is an ancestor of the grapefruit and originally from Malaysia and Indonesia.62 The pomelo has probably been both gathered and cultivated in China for millennia.63 The calamansi, a cross between the kumquat and the mandarin ...
by Alan Cruse
It is the relation expressed by kind of or type of as in A stetson is a kind of hat, A pomelo is a type of citrus fruit. Notice that not all hyponyms are taxonyms. For instance, a waitress is a woman, so waitress is a hyponym of woman, but it is odd to ...
by Doris Imhof Johnson
Tonight we're having a family favorite—pomelo. Pomelo is a type of fruit similar to grapefruit, but larger and much sweeter. No doubt, during this evening of sharing activities and experiences, you have felt, as our Filipino family does, a great ...
Asian Tapas (2012)
Small Bites, Big Flavors by Christophe Megel, Anton Kilayko
Pomelo is a citrus fruit similar to a grapefruit, but larger in ...
by Kenneth F. Kiple
The pomelo is the largest of the citrus fruits and is also known as "pumelo" and " shaddock" because it (or the grapefruit) was brought to the Caribbean by Captain James Shaddock. The aromatic fruit is very large and oval shaped with a thick ...
The Visual Food Encyclopedia (1996)
Citrus maxima, Rutaceae 218 F ruit of a tree that can grow to a height of 20 feet, the pomelo, or pummelo, has been grown in Asia for over 4,000 years. Greatly appreciated in many Asian countries, particularly in China, Thailand, and ...
by G. Rehm
Osbeck shaddock tree, pomelo, f pamplemoussier Pampelmusenbaum toronja, suha pampelmusa toranja...
grapefruit grapefruitier Grapefruitbaum pomelo, grape-fruit toronja, pomelo Citrus reticulata Blanco mandarin ...
Encyclopedia of China (2013)
History and Culture by Dorothy Perkins
Pomelo. See ORANGE. Pomo. See MI FU; WANG WEI . Population, Chinese According to.
by John F. Mariani
Alsocalled “pomelo.” A tropical tree bearingayellow,globularfruitthat growsin grapelike clusters that give it itsname, firstmentioned inprint in1805 in Hortus Jamaicensisby John Lunan,who alsonotedthatthefruit had ...
The Spaniards introduced the Pomelo into Florida, but recognition of its value was deferred for a long time, partly because its peculiarity of flavor was not at first acceptable to the American palate, and partly because of lack of care in its culture ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
pomelo. polemic argument, case, contention, controversy, debate, defence, dialectic, discussion, dispute, dissension, ground(s), logic, polemical, quarrel, reason(ing), squabble, strife, wrangle polemics argumentation, controversy, litigation ...
by Ernest E. Heimbach
txiv le zoov Pomelo txiv mam auv Pomelo (T). txiv lwvchi Leechee (C). txiv lws suav ...
The Diner's Dictionary (2012)
Word Origins of Food and Drink by John Ayto
The fruit of the Citrus paradisi, it is a comparatively recent addition to the Western fruit bowl; much more recent than, for example, the related pomelo, of which it was once thought to be a hybrid or sport. The first reference to it comes in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for pomelo
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about pomelo
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: collectmoments
Photo credit: kifo
Photo credit: mauwee88
Photo credit: Ryan M Mclaughlin
Photo credit: SueM11
Photo credit: missbossy
Photo credit: SueM11
Photo credit: SummerTomato
Photo credit: ambigel
Photo credit: p.stachura
Photo credit: telepathicparanoia
Photo credit: tinabasgen
Photo credit: telepathicparanoia
Photo credit: burgermac
Photo credit: telepathicparanoia
Photo credit: A. Shilova
Photo credit: cyclonebill
- Pomelo en flor
Flor de pomelo en la primavera de Buenos Aires
Photo credit: Fartese
- Pomelo - Plants of the World
Photo credit: natureandevents
Photo credit: kaythaney
View more pictures about Pomelo Tree.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about pomelo
Video shows what pomelo means. A large yellow citrus fruit native to southeastern Asia and Malaysia. It has a sweet flesh and is about 25 centimeters in ...
See also the pronunciation examples of pomelo!
Scrabble value of P3O1M3E1L1O1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of pomelo to see it in context!