The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb ponder:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb ponder
What does ponder mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: pondered | pondering | ponders
- reflect deeply on a subject
- examples: Ponder deeply over it. | A gaggle of intoxicated youths stopped to ponder whether there is an Opposite Day in Bizarro World. | As our vehicle leaves the ground and plunges over the edge of the cliff toward the valley floor, I ponder whether it is possible that one might allege I am guilty of an act of moral failure, having failed to maintain a proper course along the roadway. | But few people ponder over the fact that copying English words, terms and phrases causes irreversible mental changes.
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of ponder: chew over / contemplate / excogitate / meditate / mull / mull over / muse / reflect / ruminate / speculate / think over
- more generic words: cerebrate / cogitate / think = use or exercise the mind or one's power of reason in order to make inferences, decisions, or arrive at a solution or judgments
- more specific words:
- premeditate = think or reflect beforehand or in advance
- theologise / theologize = make theoretical speculations about theology or discuss theological subjects
- introspect = reflect on one's own thoughts and feelings
- bethink = consider or ponder something carefully
- cogitate = consider carefully and deeply; reflect upon
- question / wonder = place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
- puzzle = be uncertain about
- consider / study = give careful consideration to
Alternative definition of the verb ponder
- To wonder, to think of deeply.
- synonym: chew over
- To consider (something) carefully and thoroughly; to chew over, to mull over.
- synonym: mull over
Ponder is a town in Denton County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,395 at the 2010 census. Local legend holds that Bonnie and Clyde either robbed the Ponder State Bank or attempted to rob it, only to discover it had gone broke the week before. However, this is not listed in the Barrow Gang's activities. The robbery in question may have been committed by the less famous but more successful Eddie Bentz.
- also known as Ponder, Texas; Denton County / Ponder town
- part of Texas, United States of America, Denton County
Who is Ponder?
Ponder was the husband of late actress Peggy Montgomery.
- Marriage with Peggy Montgomery
Ponder, an American Thoroughbred racehorse, was the son of the 1944 Kentucky Derby winner, Pensive, and sire of the winner of the 1956 Kentucky Derby, Needles. Ponder himself won the Derby in 1949. Pensive, Ponder, and Needles are the second family of grandfather, father, and son to win the Kentucky Derby.
- born in (69 years ago)
"Ponder" is an artwork by Manny Farber.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ponder
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Autonomic Communication (2005)
First International IFIP Workshop, WAC 2004, Berlin, Germany, October 18-19, 2004, Revised Selected Papers by Michael Smirnov
Ponder is a declarative, object-oriented language that supports events, constraints, roles, templates and other useful language...
The Church (1878)
The second thing for you to ponder is that this is the place in which your Master desires you to live your life. " Thou cam'st not to thy place by accident ; It ia the very place God meant for thee." There is no haphazard in this world. God leads ...
by Tri-State Medical Association of the Carolinas and Virginia
Another symptom that we may well ponder is the gradual, but nevertheless steady, loss of haemoglobin.
Write Your Memoir (2012)
The Soul Work of Telling Your Story by Allan Hunter
The point to ponder is that doing an exercise such as this can lead us to surprising information and insights that we might not have consciously ever been able to access otherwise. Significant memories lurk in odd places. Another version of ...
by Jan Bergstra, Mark Burgess
Ponder is a declarative, object-oriented language that can be used to specify both security and management policies. Ponder authorisation policies can be implemented using various access control mechanisms for firewalls, operating ...
by Debra J. Sheets, RN, PhD, Dana Burr Bradley, PhD, Jon Hendricks, PhD
In an era in which trial balloons literally dot the horizon, an important question to ponder is the extent to which they began to pinion possibilities for the future. The chapters also make clear that because a question is deemphasized at some ...
The Legacy of N.F. Mott by Dennis Grady
An interesting feature to ponder is the scale dependence of the energy-based relation (dependence on the ring radius R) in comparison to the scale independence of the Mott relation in (8.3). This scale dependence has not been explored in ...
Studies in Honour of Leonhard Lipka by Wolfgang Falkner, Hans-Jörg Schmid
OED cites the earliest intransitive use of the verb followed by on/over from 1603 ( ponder 5). The earliest example of the transitive use of the verb, however, dates back to 1380 (ponder 4). Thus we have to assume that the semantic focus was ...
by Noah Webster
To ponder. Spenser. NDER, v. t. [L. pondero.] 1. To weigh in the mind; to consider and compare the circumstances or consequences of an event. 2. To view with ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ponder
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ponder
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Zack Sinin
Photo credit: NaturEscapes Photography
Rachel thinking in Greenwich
Photo credit: AleXander Agopian
Photo credit: ikarl67
Photo credit: Βɾℹªη_Šρî∉κεℜм∀ℵ
A fellow traveller who apparently was taken aback by the beauty of the nature in front of him - Lindau, Germany
Photo credit: Ashwin KC
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Ponder
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ponder Meaning
Video shows what ponder means. To wonder, to think of deeply.. To consider (something) carefully and thoroughly; to chew over, to mull over.. To weigh.
- !!AS 'SUPERMOON' LOOMS LARGE, MANY PONDER MEANING!! 2011
- Ponder Games - Game Salad Vocabulary
- Ponder Games - Family History Vocabulary
This collection of multiple-choice questions brings hours of fun! Just how extensive is your knowledge of the Family History Vocabulary? Are you willing to jump ...
- Ponder Games - Political Vocabulary
See also the pronunciation examples of Ponder!
Quotes about Ponder
At a good bargain pause and ponder.
more quotes about ponder...
Scrabble value of P3O1N1D2E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PONDER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ponder!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ponder to see it in context!