Popeye appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Eye-popping odd errata sees a tarred dog nip Popeye.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun Popeye
- Phrases with Popeye
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Popeye
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Popeye
- Photos about Popeye
- Video language resources about Popeye
- Quotes about Popeye
- Scrabble value of P3O1P3E1Y4E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Popeye
What does Popeye mean as a name of something?
- geographic area: East Pacific, Indo-West Pacific
- "Popeye" is a 1980 American musical comedy film, directed by Robert Altman and is a live-action film adaptation of E. C. Segar's Thimble Theatre aka Popeye comic strip. It stars Robin Williams as Popeye the Sailor Man and Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl.
- also known as Popeye, a tengerész; Popeye (film); Kippari-Kalle (vuoden 1980 elokuva); Popeye - Braccio di ferro; Skipper'n (film)
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Robert Evans
- executive producer: C.O. Erickson
- production design by Wolf Kroeger
- written by E. C. Segar & Jules Feiffer
- based on "Thimble Theater, Starring Popeye the Sailor" by E. C. Segar & Robert Altman
- Robin Williams as Popeye
- Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl
- Ray Walston as Poopdeck Pappy
- Paul Dooley as J. Wellington Wimpy
- Paul L. Smith as Bluto
- Bill Irwin as Ham Gravy - the Old Boyfriend
- Linda Hunt as Mrs. Oxheart
- Roberta Maxwell as Nana Oyl
- Allan F. Nicholls as Rough House
- Dennis Franz as Spike - a Tough
- Donald Moffat as The Taxman
- Wayne Robson as Chizzelflint - the Pawnbroker
- Robert Fortier as Bill Barnacle - the Town Drunk
- Donovan Scott as Castor Oyl
- Richard Libertini as George W. Geezil
- Wesley Ivan Hurt as Swee'Pea
- Macintyre Dixon as Cole Oyl
- David McCharen as Harry Hotcash - the Gambler
- Sharon Kinney as Cherry - His Moll
- Peter Bray as Oxblood Oxheart - the Fighter
- Geoff Hoyle as Scoop - the Reporter
- Larry Pisoni as Chico - the Dishwasher
- Carlo Pellegrini as Swifty - the Cook
- Susan Kingsley as La Verne - the Waitress
- Michael Christensen as Splatz - the Janitor
- Ray Cooper as The Preacher
- Noel Parenti as Slick - the Milkman
- Karen McCormick as Rosie - the Milkmaid
- John E. Bristol as Bear - the Hermit
- Julie Janney as Mena Walfleur - a Steinette
- Patty Katz as Mina Walfleur - a Steinette
- Diane Shaffer as Mona Walfleur - a Steinette
- Nathalie Blossom as Blossom Walfleur - a Steinette
- Alan Autry as Slug - a Tough
- Ned Dowd as Butch - a Tough
- Hovey Burgess as Mort - a Tough
- Roberto Messina as Gozo - a Tough
- Pietro Torrisi as Bolo - a Tough
- Margery Bond as Daisy - a Housewife
- Judy Burgess as Petunia - a Housewife
- Saundra MacDonald as Violet - a Housewife
- Eve Knoller as Min - a Housewife
- Peggy Pisoni as Pickelina - a Housewife
- Barbara Zegler as Daphne - a Housewife
- Paul Zegler as Mayor Stonefeller - the Official
- Pamela Burrell as Mrs. Stonefeller
- David Arkin as The Mailman
- David Arkin as Policeman
- Klaus Voormann as Von Schnitzel - the Conductor
- Douglas Dillard as Clem - the Banjo Player
- cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno
- edited by David A. Simmons & John W. Holmes
- music by Harry Nilsson, Tom Pierson
- costume design by Scott Bushnell
- set decoration by Jack Stephens
- genres: Musical, Adventure Film, Action Film, Family, Cult film, Superhero movie, Action/Adventure, Family-Oriented Adventure, Musical comedy, Comedy
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (34 years ago)
- "Popeye" is a film, directed by Genndy Tartakovsky.
- "Popeye": A POPEYE collector's dream! Features some of the best of the original 1930's POPEYE cartoons produced by the Max Fleischer Studio, including all 3 of the extra-length color specials. All remastered from the original 35mm materials and restored to their original brilliance.
- "Popeye" is a 1982 arcade game developed and released by Nintendo based on the Popeye cartoon characters licensed from King Features Syndicate. Some sources claim that Ikegami Tsushinki also did design work on Popeye.
- "Popeye" is a Japan-exclusive Game Boy video game based on the Popeye cartoon characters licensed from King Features Syndicate.
- mode: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
- released on (24 years ago)
- "Popeye" is a video game.
- developer: dK'Tronics
- genres: Platform game, Action game
- publisher: dK'Tronics
- released in (30 years ago)
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1939 film Ghosks Is the Bunk.
- also known as Popeye the Sailor
- occupation: Sailor
- created by E. C. Segar
- in films:
- "Popeye the Sailor", played by William "Billy" Costello
- "Popeye", played by Robin Williams
- "Bound by Honor", played by Carlos Carrasco
- "Wild Elephinks", played by William "Billy" Costello
- "Popeye's Voyage: The Quest for Pappy", played by Billy West
- "Fright to the Finish", played by Jack Mercer
- "Popeye & Friends"
- "Popeye", played by Jack Mercer
- "Spooky Swabs", played by Jack Mercer
- "Ghosks Is The Bunk", played by Jack Mercer
- official website: www.popeye.com
- Popeye is a fictional character in the 2011 action film The Green Hornet.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 2012 film Tango Libre.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the film series Les Bronzés.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 2003 film Tough Luck.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1992 film Jennifer 8.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 2008 film The Imposter.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the TV series Zone 14.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1989 film Proud and Confident.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1936 film Cain and Mabel.
There are other characters with in their name, like Popeye Doyle.
"Popeye" is the soundtrack album of the 1980 film.
- Popeye a.k.a. Eddie Egan: Edward Walter "Eddie" Egan was a New York City Police Department detective whose exploits were the subject of a book and movie, both entitled The French Connection. He and his partner, Sonny Grosso, with other New York City Police Department detectives, broke up an organized crime ring in 1961, seizing 112 pounds of heroin, which was a record amount at the time. The investigation was the subject of a book by Robin Moore and the subsequent motion picture released in 1971.
- read more about Eddie Egan (actor)
- Popeye a.k.a. Fredrik Stark is a musical artist, musician, record producer, composer.
- read more about Fredrik Stark
- Popeye a.k.a. Jamie Gregg is a Canadian long track speed skater.
- read more about Jamie Gregg
- Popeye a.k.a. Marcus Popp is a German volleyball player.
- read more about Marcus Popp
- Popeye a.k.a. Robert Wynn: Sergeant Robert 'Popeye' Wynn was a non-commissioned officer with Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, in the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army during World War II. Wynn was one of the 140 Toccoa men of Easy Company. Wynn was portrayed in the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers by Nicholas Aaron.
- read more about Robert Wynn
- Popeye a.k.a. Takanosato Toshihide was a sumo wrestler from Namioka, Aomori, Japan. He was the sport's 59th yokozuna from 1983 to 1986 and won four top division tournament championships. After retirement he established Naruto stable which he ran from 1989 until his death.
- read more about Takanosato Toshihide
- Popeye a.k.a. Osvaldo Rivera was found guilty of murder, attempted murder, and aggravated sexual assault.
- read more about Osvaldo Rivera
- Popeye is an American rapper.
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Rapper
- Popeye a.k.a. Brian Thornton is an actor.
- read more about Brian Thornton (actor)
- Popeye a.k.a. Adrian G. Pop is a film producer.
- read more about Adrian G. Pop
- Popeye a.k.a. Gregory Alexander is an actor.
- read more about Gregory Alexander (actor)
- Popeye a.k.a. John Jairo Velasquez is a former hitman.
- read more about John Jairo Velasquez
Popeye is 70s Dutch rock band.
Popeye is a record label.
Popeye is a dog that appearead in the 1986 films Stand By Me and Out of Bonds.
- Popeye is the name of a family of air-to-surface missiles developed and in use by Israel, of which several types have been developed for Israeli and export users. A long-range cruise missile variant of the Popeye Turbo has been speculated as being employed in Israel's submarine-based nuclear forces. The United States operates the Popeye under a different designation according to US naming conventions as the AGM-142 Have Nap.
- also known as AGM-142 Have Nap
- Popeye a.k.a. Popeye the Sailor is an American animated series of comedy short films based on the titular comic strip character created by E. C. Segar. In 1933, Max and Dave Fleischer's Fleischer Studios adapted Segar's characters into a series of Popeye the Sailor theatrical cartoon shorts for Paramount Pictures. The plotlines in the animated cartoons tended to be simpler than those presented in the comic strips, and the characters slightly different. A villain, usually Bluto, makes a move on Popeye's "sweetie," Olive Oyl. The villain clobbers Popeye until he eats spinach, giving him superhuman strength. Thus empowered, the sailor makes short work of the villain.
- read more about Popeye the Sailor
- Popeye is the name given to a series of motor launches which take paying passengers on pleasure cruises on Torrens Lake, in the North Parklands of Adelaide, capital of South Australia.
- Popeye is a female harbor seal that has become the official seal of Friday Harbor on San Juan Island.
- Popeye is a comic strip.
Phrases with Popeye
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Popeye
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Flights of Fancy (1989)
The Great Fantasy Films by Kenneth Von Gunden
The Paramount-Disney production of the Jules Feiffer-scripted, Robert Altman-directed Popeye is a fabulous fantasy film. Eagerly anticipated, it was Paramount's Christmas 1980 release. Popeye, it was ...
Rosy, Rubber, and Sand Boas (2005)
by Richard D. Bartlett, Patricia Pope Bartlett
Popeye is a condition in which the space between the eye and the brille may become filled with discolored serum. This may be caused by infection (often Pseudomonas) or injury to the eye or related ducts or other causes. Blindness or loss of ...
A Literary Reference to Her Life and Work by Carmen Gillespie
Popeye is an iconographic American cartoon character who was first drawn in 1929 by cartoonist Elzie Segar. Segar wrote a comic narra- tive called Thimble Theater (1919) for the Hearst newspapers. Popeye was not originally a ...
The Art of the Funnies (1994)
An Aesthetic History by Robert C. Harvey
Popeye is a force for good that is invincible. Segar's own faith becomes ours. We do not doubt that good exists. We ask about elemental forces not whether they can survive but when will they come into play. That this plaintive question echoes ...
by Robert W. Hamblin, Charles A. Peek
VITELLI, POPEYE State Archives in Jackson, would also be particularly interesting to Faulkner readers. Work of still others from the photographic collection of the Archives appears in Mississippi Observed (University Press of Mississippi, ...
by Nichola Dobson
POPEYE 9 151 top of. The technique attempts to capture a photorealistic rendering of the actor—in this case, Hollywood star Tom Hanks, who played multiple roles; however, this resulted in mixed reviews. The technique does not have the ...
by Donald Haase
Francisco Vaz da Silva Popeye the Sailor An American animated cartoon, Popeye the Sailor originated as a newspaper comic strip created by Elzie Crisler Segar and first appeared ...
by Donald Haase, Donald Haase Ph.D.
Francisco Vaz da Silva Popeye the Sailor An American animated cartoon, Popeye the Sailor originated as a newspaper comic strip created by Elzie Crisler Segar ...
by A.J. Larner
Cross References Entomopia; Illusion; Palinopsia “Popeye Arms” In facioscapulohumeral (FSH) muscular dystrophy, the deltoid muscle is normally well preserved, whilst biceps and triceps are weak and wasted, giving rise to an appearance ...
The Encyclopedia of Fantasy (1999)
by John Clute, John Grant
Popeye takes lodgings at the Oyls; the daughter, Olive, is engaged to Bluto. However, as ...
The John Updike Encyclopedia (2000)
by Jack De Bellis
Popeye. A creation of E. C. Segar in 1929 ...
by Steven H. Gale
Even Feiffer«s screenplay for director Robert Altman«s Popeye (1980), derived, appropriately enough, from Segar«s old comic strip, capitalizes on the notion of a battle of the sexes. On meeting the hero, ...
The Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History, 2nd Edition [4 volumes] (2011)
A Political, Social, and Military History by Spencer C. Tucker
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Popeye
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Popeye
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: daveparker
Photo credit: randwill
This sweet little boy was blind in one eye.
Photo credit: basykes
Photo credit: bryanarchy
Villa Chyornaya Luna
Photo credit: Marc-Anthony Macon
Photo credit: paulo.barcellos
Playing around with shadows
Photo credit: LadyDragonflyCC - >;<
Photo credit: Chris_Parfitt
The stately prince as dusk approaches.
Photo credit: diametrik
Photo credit: idalingi
Amusement Arcade ...Pinball Game
Photo credit: Clive Varley
Photo credit: idalingi
This seal lives in Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington.
Photo credit: adactio
Harry Nilsson - Popeye
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Aye-aye Popeye
Photo credit: pir8ess
- Popeye mural, Houston st
Photo credit: Salim Virji
- Popeye on couch
Photo credit: diametrik
- Popeye grows suspicious
Photo credit: TheoJunior
Popeye's Louisiana kitchen, by Mike Mozart of TheToyChannel and JeepersMedia on YouTube
Photo credit: JeepersMedia
- Popeye's offerings
Photo credit: craigemorsels
View more pictures about Popeye Village.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Popeye
Click on an item to play that video:
- Popeye Meaning
Video shows what Popeye means. A tough cartoon sailor, full name Popeye the Sailor, characterized by bulging forearm muscles, a squinty eye, and an affinity ...
- 1936 POPEYE MEETS SINBAD THE SAILOR CARTOON
Per Wikipedia: "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor is a two-reel animated cartoon short subject in the Popeye Color Feature series, produced in ...
- Popeye Volumen 1,2,3 Completo
Popeye el Marino.
- Popeye the Sailor meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves  RESTORED HQ
Classic Popeye cartoon digitally remastered Directed by: Dave Fleischer Produced by: Max Fleischer Voices by: Jack Mercer, Mae Questel, Gus Wickie Music ...
- Popeye The Sailor Man
over 75 years, generations have viewed the comedic actions of a unique figure in film history, Popeye the Sailor man Peopeye is the spinach-eating cartoon ...
- Popeye The Sailor Man - County Fair
Popeye The Sailor Man Cartoons.
See also the pronunciation examples of Popeye!
Quotes about Popeye
Scrabble value of P3O1P3E1Y4E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Popeye to see it in context!