Definition of Popeye
What does Popeye mean?
- Popeye is the vernacular name of the Coryphaenoides cinereus, a species of Coryphaenoides.
- geographic area: East Pacific, Indo-West Pacific
Phrases with Popeye
- Popeye Shiner
- Popeye Catalufa
- Popeye Grenadier
- Popeye Blacksmelt
- Popeye the Sailor is a cartoon fictional character created by Elzie Crisler Segar, who has appeared in comic strips and animated cartoons in the cinema as well as on television. He first appeared in the daily King Features comic strip Thimble Theatre on January 17, 1929. Popeye also became the strip's title in later years.
- also known as Popeye the Sailor
- occupation: Sailor
- created by E. C. Segar
- in films:
- "Popeye the Sailor", played by William "Billy" Costello
- "Popeye", played by Robin Williams
- "Bound by Honor", played by Carlos Carrasco
- "Wild Elephinks", played by William "Billy" Costello
- "Popeye's Voyage: The Quest for Pappy", played by Billy West
- "Fright to the Finish", played by Jack Mercer
- "Popeye & Friends"
- "Popeye", played by Jack Mercer
- official website: www.popeye.com
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 2012 film Tango Libre.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1978 film Les Bronzés.
- Popeye is a fictional character in the 2011 action film The Green Hornet.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 2003 film Tough Luck.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1992 film Jennifer 8.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 2008 film The Imposter.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1936 film Cain and Mabel.
- Popeye is a fictional character from the 1954 film Fright to the Finish.
There are other characters with Popeye in their name, like Popeye Doyle.
"Popeye" is a 1980 live-action film adaptation directed by Robert Altman and adapted from E. C. Segar's Thimble Theatre aka Popeye comic strip.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Robert Evans
- executive producer: C.O. Erickson
- production design by Wolf Kroeger
- written by Jules Feiffer & E. C. Segar
- based on "Thimble Theater, Starring Popeye the Sailor" by E. C. Segar & Robert Altman
- Robin Williams as Popeye
- Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl
- Ray Walston as Poopdeck Pappy
- Paul Dooley as J. Wellington Wimpy
- Paul L. Smith as Bluto
- Bill Irwin as Ham Gravy - the Old Boyfriend
- Linda Hunt as Mrs. Oxheart
- Roberta Maxwell as Nana Oyl
- Allan F. Nicholls as Rough House
- Dennis Franz as Spike - a Tough
- Donald Moffat as The Taxman
- Wayne Robson as Chizzelflint - the Pawnbroker
- Robert Fortier as Bill Barnacle - the Town Drunk
- Donovan Scott as Castor Oyl
- Richard Libertini as George W. Geezil
- Wesley Ivan Hurt as Swee'Pea
- Macintyre Dixon as Cole Oyl
- David McCharen as Harry Hotcash - the Gambler
- Sharon Kinney as Cherry - His Moll
- Peter Bray as Oxblood Oxheart - the Fighter
- Geoff Hoyle as Scoop - the Reporter
- Larry Pisoni as Chico - the Dishwasher
- Carlo Pellegrini as Swifty - the Cook
- Susan Kingsley as La Verne - the Waitress
- Michael Christensen as Splatz - the Janitor
- Ray Cooper as The Preacher
- Noel Parenti as Slick - the Milkman
- Karen McCormick as Rosie - the Milkmaid
- John E. Bristol as Bear - the Hermit
- Julie Janney as Mena Walfleur - a Steinette
- Patty Katz as Mina Walfleur - a Steinette
- Diane Shaffer as Mona Walfleur - a Steinette
- Nathalie Blossom as Blossom Walfleur - a Steinette
- Alan Autry as Slug - a Tough
- Ned Dowd as Butch - a Tough
- Hovey Burgess as Mort - a Tough
- Roberto Messina as Gozo - a Tough
- Pietro Torrisi as Bolo - a Tough
- Margery Bond as Daisy - a Housewife
- Judy Burgess as Petunia - a Housewife
- Saundra MacDonald as Violet - a Housewife
- Eve Knoller as Min - a Housewife
- Peggy Pisoni as Pickelina - a Housewife
- Barbara Zegler as Daphne - a Housewife
- Paul Zegler as Mayor Stonefeller - the Official
- Pamela Burrell as Mrs. Stonefeller
- David Arkin as The Mailman
- David Arkin as Policeman
- Klaus Voormann as Von Schnitzel - the Conductor
- Douglas Dillard as Clem - the Banjo Player
- cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno
- edited by John W. Holmes & David A. Simmons
- music by Harry Nilsson, Tom Pierson
- costume design by Scott Bushnell
- set decoration by Jack Stephens
- genres: Musical, Adventure Film, Action Film, Family, Cult film, Superhero movie, Action/Adventure, Family-Oriented Adventure, Musical comedy, Comedy
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (33 years ago)
- "Popeye" is a 1982 arcade game developed and released by Nintendo based on the Popeye cartoon characters licensed from King Features Syndicate. Some sources claim that Ikegami Tsushinki also did design work on Popeye.
- "Popeye" is a video game developed by dK'Tronics.
- genres: Platform game, Action game
- publisher: dK'Tronics
- released in (29 years ago)
"Popeye" is the soundtrack album of the 1980 film.
- Popeye a.k.a. Eddie Egan: Edward Walter "Eddie" Egan was a New York City Police Department detective whose exploits were the subject of a book and movie, both entitled The French Connection. He and his partner, Sonny Grosso, with other New York City Police Department detectives, broke up an organized crime ring in 1961, seizing 112 pounds of heroin, which was a record amount at the time. The investigation was the subject of a book by Robin Moore and the subsequent motion picture released in 1971.
- Popeye a.k.a. Jamie Gregg is a Canadian long track speed skater.
- Popeye a.k.a. Marcus Popp is a German volleyball player.
- Popeye a.k.a. Takanosato Toshihide was a sumo wrestler from Namioka, Aomori, Japan. He was the sport's 59th Yokozuna from 1983 to 1986 and won four top division tournament championships. After retirement he established Naruto stable which he ran from 1989 until his death.
- Popeye a.k.a. Robert Wynn: Sergeant Robert 'Popeye' Wynn was a non-commissioned officer with Easy Company, 2nd Battalion,...
- Popeye a.k.a. Fredrik Stark is a musical artist, musician, record producer.
- also known as Stark, Fredrik
- born on (41 years ago)
- member of musical group City Dreams
- albums: "Earth", "Loungin", "Retrospect"
- Popeye a.k.a. Gregory Alexander is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Gregory Alexander (actor)
- Popeye a.k.a. Adrian G. Pop is a film producer.
There are other people with Popeye in their name, like Popeye Jones, Popeye the Dog, Popeye Pye Magalona and Popeye "Pye" Magalona.
Popeye is a record label.
Popeye is the real name of the dog who played Chopper in the 1986 movie Stand By Me.
- read more about Popeye (film actor)
- The Popeye is an air to ground missile developed and in use by Israel, of which several types have been developed for Israeli and export users. A substantially modified long range cruise missile variant of the Popeye Turbo is believed to be used to arm the Israeli submarine based nuclear forces. The United States is one of the users of the Popeye but has renamed it according to US naming conventions as the AGM-142 Have Nap.
- also known as AGM-142 Have Nap
- Popeye is a Japan-exclusive Game Boy video game based on the Popeye cartoon characters licensed from King Features Syndicate.
- mode: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
- Popeye a.k.a. Popeye the Sailor is a series of animated short subjects based on the fictional cartoon character created by Elzie Crisler Segar. In 1933, Max and Dave Fleischer's Fleischer Studios adapted Segar's characters into a series of Popeye the Sailor theatrical cartoon shorts for Paramount Pictures. The plotlines in the animated cartoons tended to be simpler than those presented in the comic strips, and the characters slightly different. A villain, usually Bluto, makes a move on Popeye's "sweetie," Olive Oyl. The villain clobbers Popeye until he eats spinach, giving him superhuman strength. Thus empowered, the sailor makes short work of the villain.
- Popeye is a female harbor seal that has become the official seal of Friday Harbor on San Juan...
- Popeye: A POPEYE collector's dream! Features some of the best of the original 1930's POPEYE cartoons produced by the Max Fleischer Studio, including all 3 of the extra-length color specials. All remastered from the original 35mm materials and restored to their original brilliance.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Popeye
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Flights of Fancy (1989)
The Great Fantasy Films by Kenneth Von Gunden
The Paramount-Disney production of the Jules Feiffer-scripted, Robert Altman-directed Popeye is a fabulous fantasy film. Eagerly anticipated, it was Paramount's Christmas 1980 release. Popeye, it was ...
A William Faulkner Encyclopedia (1999)
by Robert W. Hamblin, Charles A. Peek
VITELLI, POPEYE State Archives in Jackson, would also be particularly interesting to Faulkner readers. Work of still others from the photographic collection of the Archives appears in Mississippi Observed (University Press of Mississippi, ...
The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Folktales and Fairy Tales: G-P (2008)
by Donald Haase
Francisco Vaz da Silva Popeye the Sailor An American animated cartoon, Popeye the Sailor originated as a newspaper comic strip created by Elzie Crisler Segar and first appeared ...
The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Folktales and Fairy Tales (2007)
by Donald Haase
Francisco Vaz da Silva Popeye the Sailor An American animated cartoon, Popeye the Sailor originated as a newspaper comic strip created by Elzie Crisler Segar ...
The John Updike Encyclopedia (2000)
by Jack De Bellis
Popeye. A creation of E. C. Segar in 1929 ...
The Encyclopedia of Fantasy (1999)
by John Clute, John Grant
Popeye takes lodgings at the Oyls; the daughter, Olive, is engaged to Bluto. However, as ...
Encyclopedia of Television Pilots, 1937-2012 (2013)
by Vincent Terrace
Popeye Doyle. (Crime Drama; NBC; Sept. 7, 1986). Popeye Doyle is a tough, rumpled and dedicated detective with the N.Y.P.D. The character first appeared in the feature film The French Connection and the proposal was ...
Encyclopedia of American Folk Art (2013)
by Gerard C. Wertkin
LINDSEY REED, ERNEST (“Popeye”) ( 1919–1985), ...
The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America (2013)
by Andrew Smith, Bruce Kraig
Improvements in refrigerated rail transportation and, in 1929, Clarence Birdseye's development of a commercial frozen food process, as well as claims made by the Depression-era cartoon character Popeye, encouraged spinach consumption.
Encyclopedia of K9 Terminology (2013)
by Edward M. Gilbert, Jr, Patricia H. Gilbert
Popeye. See Prominent eye. Posterior chamber. That portion of the eye between the iris and the lens. Prominent eye. Bugeye. Bulbous eye. Full eye. Goggle eyes. Popeye. Protruding eye. A round, strongly protruding or bulging eye shape.
The Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History (2011)
A Political, Social, and Military History by Spencer C. Tucker
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Popeye
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Popeye
Click on an item to view that photo:
Fun game, although it can be frustrating to chase after all of Olive Oyl's hearts while avoiding Bluto. Why can't Olive just be straightforward with Popeye?
Photo credit: randomlife
Harry Nilsson - Popeye
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Popeye Graffiti
Graffiti art featuring Popeye gambling. Painted onto construction site boarding near Prince Regent Swimming Pool, Brighton, East Sussex.
Photo credit: Dominic's pics
- Popeye's Self-Serve ordering
The Popeye's at the Jersey City mall has touchscreens for customers to compose their own orders (kind of like self-serve check-in at the airport).
Photo credit: hitormiss
Video language resources about Popeye
Click on an item to play that video:
- Banned Cartoons Betty Boop Popeye The Sailor With Betty Boop 1
- POPEYE AIR TO SURFACE MISSILES
email@example.com Popeye is the name of a family of air-to-surface missiles developed and in use by Israel, of which several types have been developed f...
- Down The Rabbit Hole w/ Popeye (11-30-2012) Judyth Vary Baker & Vince Palamara on JFK
On this edition of DTRH Popeye welcomes back to the broadcast Judyth Vary Baker. She was the girlfriend of Lee Harvey Oswald and a scientist who was working ...
- Golondrina & Popeye
Tecnica de como hacer caballitos...
- Popeye Ride - Universal Studios Orlando
a very wet ride.
- Down The Rabbit Hole w/ Popeye (01-12-2013) Shapiro vs Morgan, The Man Who Faught Back & More
On this edition of DTRH Popeye covers the gun control debate, again. This time he plays audio from the debate between Ben Shapiro from Breitbart and CNN's Pi...
- Bursitis Elbow / Olecranon Popeye Elbow - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim
Educational video describing the condition known as the popeye elbow (olecranon bursitis)or elbow bursitis. This video describes the causes of olecranon burs...
See also the pronunciation examples of Popeye!
Scrabble value of P3O1P3E1Y4E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Popeye to find many related words and phrases!