Pose appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Resume so pacific a pose, muser.
- Eva, can I pose as Aesop in a cave?
- Eva, can I pose as Aesop in a cave?
On this page:
- Definition of the noun pose
- Definition of the verb pose
- Phrases with Pose
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Pose
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pose
- Usage statistics about pose
- Photos about Pose
- Video language resources about Pose
- Quotes about Pose
- Scrabble value of P3O1S1E1
- Anagrams of POSE
- Share this page
Pose is sometimes a misspelling of possess.
The word pose and its family (posed, poses, posing) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun pose
What does pose mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: poses
- affected manners intended to impress others
- a posture assumed by models for photographic or artistic purposes
- a deliberate pretense or exaggerated display
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of pose: affectation / affectedness / mannerism
- more generic words: feigning / pretence / pretending / pretense / simulation = the act of giving a false appearance
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun pose
- position, posture, arrangement (especially of the human body)
- See affectation.
Specialised definition of the noun pose
Glossary of sports / bodybuilding
the presentation of muscles (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / dancing
additional figures which are performed in higher performance classes (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / sport acrobatics
a static exercise (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Definition of the verb pose
What does pose mean as a doing word?
Pose is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: posed | posing | poses
- example: This poses an interesting question
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] I presented a solution Verbs of Reflexive Appearance: announce, assert, declare, define, exhibit, expose, express, flaunt, form, intrude, manifest, offer, present, proffer, propose, recommend, reveal, shape, show, suggest [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to [Recipient] I presented a solution to him [Theme] [Verb] [Oblique, reflexive] A solution presented itself yesterday [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] I explained Verbs of Communication: communicate, corroborate, demonstrate, elucidate, explain, explicate, expound, illustrate, justify, narrate, preach, read, recite, relay, sniff, verify [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, how-extraction] He confessed how she did it | I asked how she did it | I explained how it can be done | John suggested how she could do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, wh-infinitive clause] I asked how to do it | I explained how to do it | John suggested how to do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, what-extraction] He asked what he should do | I explained what he should do | John suggested what we should eat [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, what-infinitive clause] He asked what to do | I explained what to do | John suggested what to do [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, not sentential clause] I explained the matter [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, not sentential clause] to [Recipient] I explained the matter to them | They confessed it to us [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] from [Source] I explained from Simone de Beauvoir's essay on the Marquis de Sade [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, how-extraction] I explained to her how it can be done | They confessed to us how it happened [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, wh-infinitive clause] I explained to her how to do it
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonym of pose: present
- more generic terms: be / comprise / constitute / make up / represent = form or compose
- assume a posture as for artistic purposes
- example: We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often
- domain: art / artistic creation / artistic production
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of pose: model / posture / sit
- more generic words: display / exhibit / expose = to show, make visible or apparent
- more specific word: ramp = be rampant
- pretend to be someone you are not; sometimes with fraudulent intentions
- example: She posed as the Czar's daughter
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] as [Predicate] Dina masqueraded as a lawyer [Agent - being] [Verb] [Predicate] They serve a restricted role on the bench [Agent - being] [Verb] in [Predicate] He had served in financial planning positions
Verbs with Predicative Complements (with the same syntax): serve.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of pose: impersonate / personate
- more generic terms: betray / deceive / lead astray = cause someone to believe an untruth
- more specific word: masquerade = pretend to be someone or something that you are not
- behave affectedly or unnaturally in order to impress others
- put into a certain place or abstract location
- example: They pose the bags on the table
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of pose: lay / place / position / put / set
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific terms:
- introduce / stick in / enclose / inclose / insert / put in = place, fit, or thrust (something) into another thing
- docket = place on the docket for legal action
- cock = set the trigger of a firearm back for firing
- postpose = place after another constituent in the sentence
- prepose = place before another constituent in the sentence
- step = place (a ship's mast) in its step
- put back / replace = put something back where it belongs
- stratify = form, arrange, or deposit in layers
- plant = place something or someone in a certain position in order to secretly observe or deceive
- intersperse = place at intervals in or among
- snuggle / nestle = position comfortably
- pile = place or lay as if in a pile
- arrange / set up = put into a proper or systematic order
- superimpose / superpose / lay over = place on top of
- superpose = place (one geometric figure) upon another so that their perimeters coincide
- park = place temporarily
- ensconce / settle = fix firmly
- dispose = place or put in a particular order
- emplace = put into place or position
- emplace = provide a new emplacement for guns
- ship = place on board a ship
- underlay = put (something) under or beneath
- trench = set, plant, or bury in a trench
- pigeonhole = place into a small compartment
- shelve = place on a shelf
- jar = place in a cylindrical vessel
- repose = to put something (eg trust) in something
- sign = place signs, as along a road
- middle = put in the middle
- parallelize = place parallel to one another
- butt = place end to end without overlapping
- recess = put into a recess
- reposition = place into another position
- thrust / throw = place or put with great energy
- tee up / tee = place on a tee
- rack up = place in a rack
- coffin = place into a coffin
- bed = put to bed
- appose = place side by side or in close proximity
- place down / put down / set down = cause to sit or seat or be in a settled position or place
- seed / sow = place (seeds) in or on the ground for future growth
- misplace = place or position wrongly
- juxtapose = place side by side
- set down = put or settle into a position
- bottle = put into bottles
- bucket = put into a bucket
- barrel = put in barrels
- ground = place or put on the ground
- pillow / rest = rest on or as if on a pillow
- upend = set, turn, or stand on end
- sit down / seat / sit = show to a seat
- seat = place in or on a seat
- put down / repose / lay = put in a horizontal position
- place upright / stand up / stand = put into an upright position
- recline = cause to recline
- plant / set = put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground
- install / instal / put in / set up = set up for use
- deposit / situate / posit / fix = put (something somewhere) firmly
- ladle = put (a liquid) into a container by means of a ladle
- poise = cause to be balanced or suspended
- lean = cause to lean or incline
- clap = put quickly or forcibly
- rest = put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying
- perch = cause to perch or sit
- load = put (something) on a structure or conveyance
- cram = put something somewhere so that the space is completely filled
- set = put into a position that will restore a normal state
- siphon = move a liquid from one container into another by means of a siphon or a siphoning action
- seat = place or attach firmly in or on a base
- position = cause to be in an appropriate place, state, or relation
- glycerolise / glycerolize = place in glycerol
- space = place at intervals
- marshal = place in proper rank
- settle down / settle = settle into a position, usually on a surface or ground
- throw = to put into a state or activity hastily, suddenly, or carelessly
- imbricate = place so as to overlap
- be a mystery or bewildering to
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of pose: amaze / baffle / beat / bewilder / dumbfound / flummox / get / gravel / mystify / nonplus / perplex / puzzle / stick / stupefy / vex
- more generic words: bedevil / befuddle / confound / confuse / discombobulate / fox / fuddle / throw = be confusing or perplexing to
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb pose
- [transitive] set in place, arrange
- [transitive] ask, set (a test or quiz)
- [transitive] to constitute (a danger, a threat, a risk, etc...)
- [intransitive] assume or maintain a pose
- [obsolete] To ask (someone) questions; to interrogate.
- [context: now rare] To perplex or confuse (someone).
- "Pose" is the first single by Puerto Rico reggaeton artist Daddy Yankee from the movie soundtrack to the motion picture Talento de Barrio, and was released on May 14, 2008, by Machete Music and El Cartel Records. The single was made available through online music stores on August 12, 2008. The song features different musical styles, ones that differ from Daddy Yankee's past singles. It is an electro song, which fuses other genres such as latin pop, dance-pop, pop rap, dance, hip hop and pop, as well as Latin and dance rhythms.
- music by Daddy Yankee
- "Pose" is a composition.
- "Pose" is a musical album of Los Látigos.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Pose" is a musical album of Second.
- "Pose" is a 2008 single album by Daddy Yankee.
- released on (6 years ago)
"Pose" is a 2012 documentary film directed by Eva Madden-Hagen.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- producer: Eva Madden-Hagen
- cinematography by Eva Madden-Hagen
- edited by Christopher Cooper
- genre: Documentary film
- released in
- Pose: In computer vision and in robotics, a typical task is to identify specific objects in an image and to determine each object's position and orientation relative to some coordinate system. This information can then be used, for example, to allow a robot to manipulate an object or to avoid moving into the object. The combination of position and orientation is referred to as the pose of an object, even though this concept is sometimes used only to describe the orientation. Exterior orientation and Translation are also used as synonyms to pose.
- POSE a.k.a. Palm OS Emulator: Descended from Copilot, Palm OS Emulator is used for writing, testing, and debugging Palm OS applications. Palm OS Emulator emulates Motorola 68000-class devices and has intimate knowledge of Palm OS's inner working, allowing for the close monitoring of correct application operation. Unlike Xcopilot, Palm OS Emulator will not boot uClinux. By using "skin" files, Palm OS Emulator could very closely mimic the appearance of many models of Palm handheld.
- read more about Palm OS Emulator
Phrases with Pose
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Pose
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Invisible Presence by Janice M. Rasheed, Mikal N. Rasheed
Cool pose is an expressive performance that helps African American men counter the stress that can result from racial...
by Helen Taylor Greene, Shaun L. Gabbidon
The cool pose is the creation of an alternate persona that shields Black males against the constant barrage of racial discrimination in...
by Othello Harris, R. Robin Miller
The cool pose is a survival strategy adopted by many African American men. The cool pose is an internal and external posture that African American men assume when they are cut off from culturally sanctioned means of achieving manhood.
by Mike Mattesi
So, a pose is the whole pyramid, the top is the hip to ribcage relationship, the next tier is arms, legs, and head, and then the last is hands, feet, fingers, and toes . As one gets more sophisticated, the top of the pyramid might be the face and right ...
by John WALKER (the Philologist.)
To pose To puzzle; to examine, v. a. To de-pose' To lay down; degrade; bear witness, v. To re-pose' To ...
The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revis by Arnold Schwarzenegger
For a triceps pose, you can again choose which leg should be used to support you. ABDOMINALS AND THIGHS. Stand to the front. Put one leg out in front and flex the quadriceps. Put your hands behind your head and crunch forward, ...
Encyclopedia of Biometrics (2009)
I - Z. by Stan Z. Li
Face pose analysis is the process of determining the location and the orientation of a face (▷Yaw/Pitch/ Roll) with respect to the camera/sensor's coordination system, and the subsequent facial analysis based on that information. A typical face ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pose
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about pose
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun pose:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb pose:
Photos about Pose
Click on an item to view that photo:
Santa Clara, California
Photo credit: Photographing Travis
Photo credit: fleetingpix
Photo credit: marvin L
- New pose at RACK Poses
Pose and picture by: Kirsty Oherlihy<3
Photo credit: Oakley Foxtrot
One Canon 430ex ii fired from in front, 45 degrees to the right through a softbox. A Yongnuo 560 ii fired directly at subjects from in front, 45 degrees to the left. Both flashes triggered using Yongnuo RF-603 triggers.
Photo credit: Daniel E Lee
Photo credit: formatc1
- ~ Pose ~
Photo credit: DaMongMan
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Pose
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ashtanga: Sun Salutation A - Detailed Pose Explanation
- Eight Angle Pose Astavakrasana Yoga Asana Goofy Funny Explanation
This tutorial turned out to be a bit goofy due to Sofie's essential help and tireless contribution to bringing yoga content.
- ASHTAVAKRASANA :: the story and meaning behind this yoga pose
- Pose Meaning
Video shows what pose means. common cold, head cold; catarrh. Pose Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say pose. Powered by ...
- Janu Sirsasana, Paschimottanasana Pose Explanation Yoga
Janu Sirsasana, Paschimottanasana Pose Explanation Yoga.
- Explore your inner Warrior; an old pose with a new meaning!
- Baby does yoga- gives a whole new meaning to child's pose.
16 month old busts out random yoga. Down dog, cobra and child's pose, just a natural yogi. Ha. Stay tuned for crow.
- Solo 20s VOCABULARY A Scared Pose
- TriPollar POSE - Technology Description
TriPollar POSE is the only scientifically proven home-use device that generates a real change from within. TriPollar POSE treatments offer clinically proven ...
- Body Language Course: The Magic Pose - New Discoveries in Body Language
Body Language course at Udemy. To get the 25% discount, use this link...
- Create Confident Body Language with the Power Pose
Even if you don't feel confident, the Power Pose can help you establish confidence and credibility when presenting or speaking at meetings.
- Session 2 Pose Description
- Student description of Cool pose
- YOGA VIDEO BY Dr MEENA SHAH - UTKATASANA 'CHAIR POSE' IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Dr Meena Shah- Life style coach & health counselor. occupational health & corporate wellness...
- AEROPLANE POSE BY DR MEENA SHAH IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE
View more videos about Triangle Pose.
See also the pronunciation examples of Pose!
Quotes about Pose
In a revealing or provocative pose
It's easy for a woman to catch men's eyes.
In a concealing pose if one does it,
It's due to her face, which reveals the rest.
28.04.2012 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about pose...
Scrabble value of P3O1S1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of POSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Pose!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Pose to see it in context!