Posse appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- "Some deeper upset acolyte," I profess, "opts in at a satanist posse, for piety locates pure pee demos."
- We sip, or can one posse let a family bury my body, eh?… they do: by my Ruby Lim, a fate less open on a crop I sew.
- "Put idle hips’ agitators so tidily on natal life-rafts in a tasteless option: no IT posse let satanist fare fill a tannoy lid I toss rot at," I gasp, "I held it up!"
On this page:
- Definition of the noun posse
- Phrases with Posse
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Posse
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Posse
- Photos about Posse
- Video language resources about Posse
- Quotes about Posse
- Scrabble value of P3O1S1S1E1
- Anagrams of POSSE
- Share this page
Posse is sometimes a misspelling of possess.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun posse
What does posse mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: posses
- a temporary police force
Alternative definition of the noun posse
- [US] A group of people summoned to help law enforcement
- [US] A search party
- [US] A criminal gang
- [context: by extension] A group of associates
- "Posse" is a 1993 American Western film directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles. Featuring a large ensemble cast, the film tells the story of a posse of African-American soldiers and one ostracized white soldier, who are all betrayed by a corrupt colonel. The story starts with the group escaping with a cache of gold, and continues with their leader Jessie Lee taking revenge on the men who killed his preacher father. The story is presented as a flashback told by an unnamed old man. The title of the film refers to a group of people who are summoned to help law enforcement officers.
- also known as A Vingança de Jesse Lee
- countries: United States of America, United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producers: Preston L. Holmes & Jim Steele
- executive producers: Eric Fellner & Tim Bevan
- production design by Catherine Hardwicke
- art direction by Kim Hix
- written by Dario Scardapane & Sy Richardson
- Woody Strode as Storyteller
- Reginald VelJohnson as Preston
- Stephen Baldwin as Jimmy J. 'Little J' Teeters
- Richard Jordan as Sheriff Bates
- Tommy Lister as Obobo
- Tone-Lōc as Angel
- Mario Van Peebles as Jesse Lee
- Billy Zane as Colonel Graham
- Blair Underwood as Carver
- Pam Grier as Phoebe
- Faizon Love as John
- Charles Lane as Weezie
- Big Daddy Kane as Father Time
- Melvin Van Peebles as Papa Joe
- Salli Richardson as Lana
- Isaac Hayes as Cable
- Stephen J. Cannell as Jimmy Love
- casting by Pat Golden
- cinematography by Peter Menzies Jr.
- edited by Seth Flaum & Mark Conte
- music by Michel Colombier
- costume design by Paul Simmons
- set decoration by Tessa Posnansky
- genres: Western, Action Film, Adventure Film, Drama
- tagline: The Untold Story of the Wild West.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Posse" is a 1975 American Western film, produced by, directed by and starring Kirk Douglas. The screenplay was written by Christopher Knopf and William Roberts. The plot centers on a U.S. marshal with political ambitions leading an elite posse in pursuit of a notorious bank robber to further his political career. The film premiered in New York City on June 4, 1975, and in June the same year in Berlin at the 25th Berlin International Film Festival, where Douglas also was nominated for the Golden Bear.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Kirk Douglas
- production design by Lyle R. Wheeler
- Bo Hopkins as Wesley
- Luke Askew as Krag
- James Stacy as Harold Hellman
- Bruce Dern as Jack Strawhorn
- Kirk Douglas as Howard Nightingale
- Alfonso Arau as Pepe
- Katherine Woodville as Mrs. Cooper
- David Canary as Pensteman
- Mark Roberts as Mr. Cooper
- Beth Brickell as Carla Ross
- Dick O'Neill as Wiley
- William H. Burton as McCanless
- Louie Elias as Rains
- Gus Greymountain as Reyno
- Allan Warnick as Telegrapher
- Roger Behrstock as Buwalda
- Jess Riggle as Hunsinger
- Stephanie Steele as Amy
- Melody Thomas Scott as Laurie
- Dick Armstrong as Shanty principal #1
- Larry Finley as Shanty principal #2
- Pat Tobin as Shanty principal #3
- cinematography by Fred Koenekamp
- music by Maurice Jarre
- set decoration by Lyle R. Wheeler
- genres: Western, Action/Adventure, Action Film
- rating: PG (USA)
- released in (40 years ago)
"Posse" is a book by Melvin Van Peebles.
- "Posse" is a song by the German band Scooter. It was released in May 2001 as the lead single from their eighth studio album We Bring the Noise!. Following the success of "The Logical Song", it was released 18 months later in the United Kingdom in November 2002.
- "Posse" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Posse" is a musical single of Killer Instinct.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Posse" is a musical album of DJ Potas.
- released in (21 years ago)
Who is Posse?
Posse a.k.a. Marco Messina is a musician and film score composer.
- read more about Marco Messina
Posse is a musical group.
- album: "Soft Opening"
Posse was an American-bred, British-trained Thoroughbred racehorse and sire. He ran only six times, winning twice, in a racing career which lasted from October 1979 until July 1980. As a three-year-old he was promoted to second after a controversial race for the 2000 Guineas but showed his best form in summer when he established himself as one of the leading milers in Europe with wins in the St. James's Palace Stakes and Sussex Stakes. He was retired to stud at the end of the year and had some success as a sire of winners.
- born on (37 years ago)
Phrases with Posse
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Posse
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by George A. Manning, Ph.D, CFE, EA
Jamaican Posse The Jamaican Posse is a growing group of bold and dangerous individuals who traffic in large quantities of firearms and narcotics. There are about 40 posses operating in the United States, Great Britain, Canada, and ...
Reimagining the Sacred (2015)
Richard Kearney debates God with James Wood, Catherine Keller, Charles Taylor, Julia Kristeva, Gianni Vattimo, Simon Critchley, Jean-Luc Marion, John Caputo, David Tracey, and Merold Westphal by Richard Kearney, Jens Zimmermann
divine posse is the power to be able to be, the power to be all that one is capable of becoming—namely love. Posse is an invitation, whereas potestas is an imposition—imperium. Cusanus ...
Bacchanalian Sentiments (2008)
Musical Experiences and Political Counterpoints in Trinidad by Kevin K. Birth
Posses also are derived from this history. A posse is a group of people from the same neighborhood who "ride out" to a fete.
by Jesus Mena
Mobile Posse is a free service that keeps devices in the know, wherever they go! They can get weather forecasts, local gas prices, sports scores, and more— along with great savings from national and local retailers. Mobile Posse delivers ...
by William L. Richter
POSSE COMITATUS ACT (1878). After the Compromise of 1877 (q.v.), which withdrew Federal troops from interfering in state and local elections in the South, Southern congressmen sought to guarantee the informal agreement with a new law ...
by William G. Bailey
Thus far, the venerable Posse Comitatus Act has withstood the test of time and achieved its intended purpose: to keep civil authorities from arbitrarily using the military to enforce civil laws. Other statutes permit the military to cooperate with and ...
by Peter Karsten
The Posse Comitatus Act restricts the circumstances under which U.S. military forces can be used to address domestic disturbances. Passed in 1878 in response to the South's anger at the use of federal troops during Reconstruction, it has ...
by Wang, John
Mobile Posse Mobile Posse is advertising & marketing company in telecommunications field offering consumer ...
by Julia Cresswell
See also COMPOST, POST posse [M17th] The word posse calls to mind the image, familiar from Westerns, of a body of men being recruited by a sheriff and saddling up to pursue outlaws or other wrongdoers. The key element in its meaning is ...
Encyclopedia of Terrorism (2002)
by Harvey W Kushner
The first group to popularize the notion of the government illegitimacy due to its income tax policy, and which was in large part responsible for the birth of the patriot movement, was the Posse Comitatus. The Posse was created in 1969 by ...
by Gus Martin
The first group to popularize the notion of the government illegitimacy due to its income tax policy, and which was in large part responsible for the birth of the Patriot movement, was the Posse Comitatus. The Posse was created in 1970 by ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Posse
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Posse
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: El Payo
Photo credit: Kamal H.
Photo credit: bradhoc
Photo credit: SLOTHER*33*VII*
Outside the ex-Mattatoio, Rome, Italy.
Photo credit: luigig
This photo of men on horseback in front of Kate Kearney's Cottage in Kerry really does bring to mind a posse in Western films, with caps instead of stetsons. Were they tour guides perhaps?
Date: Circa 1900
NLI Ref.: OCO 236
- JOBST has a posse
Height and weight are accurate per ancient rec.bicycles.tech discussions of crank strength or something.
Ah yes, see here:
If you're just wandering in, this is a 10 year old ripoff of a 20 year old sticker based on a 30 year old Avocet tire ad.
Photo credit: drwelby
- THE POSSE
Have put in quite a few from this shoot-but people seem to like them
Photo credit: kenny barker
- The "Posse" & Homer Simpson
Photo credit: Narith5
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Posse
Click on an item to play that video:
- Posse comitatus Meaning
Video shows what posse comitatus means. The able-bodied men over 15 in a given county who can be summoned by the sheriff to help keep the peace, ...
- Posse Meaning
Video shows what posse means. A group of people summoned to help law enforcement. A search party. A criminal gang. posse pronunciation. How to ...
- Faux Posse: Two Line Vocabulary
View more videos about in posse.
See also the pronunciation examples of Posse!
Quotes about Posse
Scrabble value of P3O1S1S1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine