On this page:
- Definition of the adjective possessive
- Definition of the noun possessive
- Phrases with Possessive
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Possessive
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Possessive
- Photos about Possessive
- Video language resources about Possessive
- Quotes about Possessive
- Scrabble value of P3O1S1S1E1S1S1I1V4E1
- Share this page
Definition of the adjective possessive
What does possessive mean as an attribute of a noun?
- serving to express or indicate possession
- desirous of owning
- example: small children are so possessive they will not let others play with their toys
- similar: acquisitive
- having or showing a desire to control or dominate
- example: a possessive parent
- similar: dominant
Alternative definition of the adjective possessive
- Of or pertaining to ownership or possession.
- [grammar] Indicating ownership, possession, origin, etc.
- Unwilling to yield possession of.
Definition of the noun possessive
What does possessive mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: possessives
- the case expressing ownership
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of possessive: genitive / genitive case / possessive case
- more generic terms: oblique / oblique case = any grammatical case other than the nominative
- more specific terms: attributive genitive case / attributive genitive = a word in the genitive case that is used as an attributive adjective
Alternative definition of the noun possessive
- [grammar] The possessive case.
Possessive: A possessive form is a word or grammatical construction used to indicate a relationship of possession in a broad sense. In English, possession is in fact expressed in only about 40 percent of the situations labeled as "possessive" by some linguists, which is why many consider the term incorrect and misleading and instead prefer others, especially the more traditional term "genitive".
Phrases with Possessive
- possessive case
- Possessive suffix
- Possessive Pronoun
- Possessive Adjective
- Possessive determiner
- Reflexive Possessive Pronoun
- double possessive
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Possessive
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Owa (2014)
A Language of the Solomon Islands by Greg Mellow
Reflexive Pronoun The reflexive pronoun, merea-na 'himself' takes the possessive suffix for person, number and inclusivity. It is completely regular in form. Reflexive Pronoun Inclusive Exclusive 1st Person 1st Person 2nd Person 3rd ...
Grammar, Syntax and Style for the 21st Century by Ned Halley
There remains the little problem of where the apostrophe goes according to single and plural possessive use. But again, it's simple. If the possessor is single, as in "the girl's hat" the apostrophe is placed before the 's.' If the possessor is plural, ...
Comprising All the Information Needed Upon Any Subject in Daily Use : a Hand-book for Everybody for Each Day in the Year
They are thus declined : Nominative Case, Objective Case, Possessive Case, Nominative Case, Objective Case, Possessive Case, The possessive cases of these pronouns are sometimes spoken of as a class by them* selves, and called ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Possessive
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Possessive
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Possessive
Click on an item to play that video:
- Possessive Meaning
Video shows what possessive means. Of or pertaining to ownership or possession.. Indicating ownership, possession, origin, etc.. Unwilling to yield possession ...
- Possessive determiner Meaning
Video shows what possessive determiner means. A determiner used to demonstrate the possession of the thing referenced by the following noun; in English, ...
- Definition: Possessive
- Understanding Skills | English Grammar | Possessive Noun | KidRhymes
The science which treats of the principles of language; the study of forms of speech, and their relations to one another; the art concerned with the right use aud ...
- Jingle 19 - The Possessive Noun Jingle - 3rd thru 8th Grade
Jingle 19 - The Possessive Noun Jingle.
- Possessive Noun Dice Game
- Possessive Noun Song
This video is about Possessive Noun Song.
See also the pronunciation examples of Possessive!
Quotes about Possessive
Scrabble value of P3O1S1S1E1S1S1I1V4E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Possessive to see it in context!