The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun possibility:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun possibility and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun possibility
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Possibility
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Possibility
- Photos about Possibility
- Video language resources about Possibility
- Quotes about Possibility
- Scrabble value of P3O1S1S1I1B3I1L1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun possibility
What does possibility mean as a name of something?
Possibility is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: possibilities
- a future prospect or potential
- capability of existing or happening or being true
- example: there is a possibility that his sense of smell has been impaired
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of possibility: possibleness
- antonym of possibility: impossibility
- more generic terms: being / beingness / existence / face of the earth = the state or fact of existing
- more specific words:
- conceivableness / conceivability = the state of being conceivable
- attainableness / achievability / attainability = the state of being achievable
- potentiality / potential / potency = the inherent capacity for coming into being
- opportunity / chance = a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
- a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of possibility: hypothesis / theory
- more generic words: concept / conception / construct = an abstract or general idea inferred or derived from specific instances
- more specific terms:
- hypothetical = a hypothetical possibility, circumstance, statement, proposal, situation, etc.
- gemmule = the physically discrete element that Darwin proposed as responsible for heredity
- theoretical account / framework / model = a hypothetical description of a complex entity or process
- speculation / conjecture = a hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing
- supposition / assumption / supposal = a hypothesis that is taken for granted
- historicism = a theory that social and cultural events are determined by history
- part of: theory = a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world
- a possible alternative
- example: bankruptcy is always a possibility
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of possibility: opening / possible action
- more generic words: alternative / choice / option = one of a number of things from which only one can be chosen
- more specific word: possible = something that can be done
Alternative definition of the noun possibility
- The quality of being possible.
- A thing possible; that which may take place or come into being.
- synonym: choice
- An option or choice, usually used in context with future events.
- synonym: contingency
POSSIBILITY is a musical group.
- albums: "サヨナラ", "Sanagi"
- official website: www.possibility-web.com
- "Possibility" is a song recorded by Swedish recording artist Lykke Li for the soundtrack to the 2009 film The Twilight Saga: New Moon. Li had been asked to write a song for the film soundtrack, but she was initially reluctant to commit to the project. After seeing an early screening of the film, she decided she wanted to contribute to the soundtrack.
- lyrics by Lykke Li
- "POSSIBILITY" is a musical album of Akina Nakamori.
- released on (31 years ago)
- "Possibility" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Nao'ymt
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Possibility
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Understanding Global News (1998)
A Critical Introduction by Jaap van Ginneken
The first possibility is that it has one or several foreign correspondents there, with a real bureau, that is to say, an office with a small staff of assistants. This is often the case for the larger American media. The second possibility is that it has a ...
Designing with Type (2006)
The Essential Guide to Typography by James Craig, Irene Korol Scala, William Bevington
The fifth possibility is a random, or asymmetric, arrangement with no predictable pattern in the placement of the lines, limited only by the designer's imagination. 1 l Juntified There are five ways of arranging lines of type on a page. The first is ...
Logica Magna (1978)
by Francesco Del Punta, Marilyn McCord Adams
possibility is that no man is a donkey.
Illuminating Faith (2015)
An Invitation to Theology by Francesca Aran Murphy, Balázs M. Mezei, Kenneth Oakes
The first possibility is that faith dies out in our culture and God sinks into forgetfulness.
The second possibility is a definitive renewal of traditional faith: faith in God as declared by the Christian churches.
What's left after Darwin? by Thierry Hoquet
The second possibility is that the bower is a signal of motor skills (Miller 2000). Male great bowerbirds make courts with grey and white objects that increase in size with distance from the avenue entrance (Endler et al. 2010). This arrangement ...
A Post-Christendom Perspective by Craig A. Carter
The first possibility is that the church will cling to political power as long as possible and in its determination to maintain the church of Western culture stance , even at the expense of historical and biblical orthodoxy, will end up becoming a ...
The Time Remaining (2012)
by Samuel Hazo
The second possibility is that the coma may be prolonged. Prolonged indefinitely. And that could confront us with a complete set of additional problems, not only medical problems but financial and moral problems. The third possibility is that ...
Darwin's Cathedral (2010)
Evolution, Religion, and the Nature of Society by David Sloan Wilson
One extreme possibility is that evolutionary theory triumphs over the social sciences, which totally missed the boat. Another ...
by Bruce M. Carlson
A second major possibility is that the mother's immune system is somehow paralyzed during pregnancy so that it does not react to the fetal antigens to which it is exposed. Yet the mother is capable of mounting an immune response to ...
by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Viewed as an identityin general, Actuality is firstof all Possibility the reflectionintoself which, as in contrast with the concreteunity of...
Possibility is what is essential to reality, butin such a way thatit isat the same time only a possibility.
An Encyclopedia of Modern Money Management by Barbara Friedberg
Risks are situations where individuals, families, or organizations are exposed to the possibility of a harmful aftermath through injury, death, or financial loss. Risks are either pure risks or speculative (investment) risks (Day et al., 2013; MacMinn ...
In which the Words are Not Only Rationally Divided Into Syllables, Accurately Accented, and Their Part of Speech Properly Distinguished; But Likewise by a Key to this Work ... It Exhibits Their True Pronunciation According to the Present Practice of Men of Letters, Eminent Orators, and Polite Speakers in London ... To which is Added the Proper Names of Persons and Places in the Old and New Testaments ... by William Perry
possibility. or. efficacy. Pötént-ly, ad powerfully, efficaciously Pötént-nēss, s. powerfulness, might, force Pötshāng-É1, s. a hook to hang a pot on Pöth'ér, s. a tumult, bustling, Suffocati cloud: v. m. to make a blustering ineffectual effort in any ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Possibility
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Possibility
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Possibility
Click on an item to play that video:
- Possibility Meaning
Video shows what possibility means. The quality of being possible.. A thing possible; that which may take place or come into being.. An option or choice, usually ...
- Learn English: vocabulary focus - opportunity, chance and possibility
In this class, Rich will look at the words opportunity, chance and possibility. These little tips will help you to develop your English. Find out the difference and how ...
- William Furlong: Possibility & Impossibility Of Fixed Meaning
A short video documentation of William Furlong's exhibition "Possibility & Impossibility Of Fixed Meaning", 23 January to 9 April 2009, Laure Genillard, London.
- The Meaning of Redemption: Sentencing Juveniles to Life Without the Possibility of Parole
Kallee Spooner, Criminal Justice and Philosophy (Mentor: Dr. Richard Wright) The Meaning of Redemption: Why is America Sentencing Juveniles to Life ...
- Production Possibility Frontier PPF Definition
- Explanation of SC,ST Act & Possibility of Anticipatory bail for that section (438 Cr P C)
Advocate N.Raja Senthoor Pandian gives Explanation of SC,ST Act & Possibility of Anticipatory bail for that section Criminal Procedure Code 438.
- BT2006/BRE - 03-03 Possibility of Counting Nodes with a Vocabulary
- SUPERMARKET CONCEPT- the virtual learn possibility -language english
S & L * EXCLUSIVE * WIKO SUPERMARKET CONCEPT- the virtual learn possibility -language english WIKO supermarket concept --the virtual learn possibility ...
- EFL- The Possibility of Catching a Pass out of Mid - Air!!
What if the EFL Player's could catch a pass?, would this be considered an upgrade to the game?
- 'May' for Possibility - Modal Auxiliary Verb - English Grammar in Gujarati
View more videos about Possibility of Reverter.
See also the pronunciation examples of Possibility!
Quotes about Possibility
Liberty is the possibility of doubting, the possibility of making a mistake, the possibility of searching and experimenting, the possibility of saying No to any authority - literary, artistic, philosophic, religious, social and even political. (Ignazio Silone)
more quotes about possibility...
Scrabble value of P3O1S1S1I1B3I1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 11-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Possibility to see it in context!