On this page:
- Definition of the noun proceeding
- Phrases with proceeding
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for proceeding
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for proceeding
- Photos about proceeding
- Video about proceeding
- Quotes about proceeding
- Scrabble value of P3R1O1C3E1E1D2I1N1G2
- Share this page
Proceeding is a member of the word family proceed, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun proceeding
What does proceeding mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: proceedings
- (law) the institution of a sequence of steps by which legal judgments are invoked
- examples: At the meeting he monopolized the discussion and completely disrupted the proceeding. | The scientist insisted on proceeding with the research. | That project is proceeding slowly. | Proceeding from warm-up exercises to leg kick practice without a hitch, the lesson went completely smoothly. | The issue is proceeding at a snail's pace. | I carefully considered my options before proceeding. | Members of the jury, regretfully I must declare this proceeding a mistrial. | We're proceeding according to plan. | We're proceeding on schedule.
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of proceeding: legal proceeding / proceedings
- more generic terms: due process / due process of law = the administration of justice according to established rules and principles
- more specific terms:
- foreclosure = the legal proceedings initiated by a creditor to repossess the collateral for loan that is in default
- intervention = a proceeding that permits a person to enter into a lawsuit already in progress
- procedure = a mode of conducting legal and parliamentary proceedings
- action at law / legal action / action = a judicial proceeding brought by one party against another
- lawsuit / causa / cause / case / suit = a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
- adoption = a legal proceeding that creates a parent-child relation between persons not related by blood
- appeal = a legal proceeding in which the appellant resorts to a higher court for the purpose of obtaining a review of a lower court decision and a reversal of the lower court's judgment or the granting of a new trial
- bankruptcy = a legal process intended to insure equality among the creditors of a corporation declared to be insolvent
- receivership = a court action that places property under the control of a receiver during litigation so that it can be preserved for the benefit of all
- judicial proceeding / litigation = a legal proceeding in a court
- naturalisation / naturalization = the proceeding whereby a foreigner is granted citizenship
- trial = the determination of a person's innocence or guilt by due process of law
- review = a judicial reexamination of the proceedings of a court
- hearing = a proceeding (usually by a court) where evidence is taken for the purpose of determining an issue of fact and reaching a decision based on that evidence
Alternative definition of the noun proceeding
- The act of one who proceeds, or who prosecutes a design or transaction; progress or movement from one thing to another; a measure or step taken in a course of business; a transaction; as, an illegal proceeding; a cautious or a violent proceeding.
- synonym: procedure
- Plural, see proceedings.
- synonym: measure
Phrases with proceeding
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for proceeding
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Charles J. Tabb, Ralph Brubaker
ancillary proceeding is the seizure and turnover of local assets to the foreign court administering the main proceeding.
A Complete Digest of All Reported Cases from 1906 to 1916
A garnishment proceeding is a distinct suit against a separate party and for an entirely new cause of action.
A garnishment proceeding is an equitable proceeding and the ...
by Joseph Travers
A final written decision and finding of fact of the department in a disciplinary proceeding is a public record. Pursuant to section 17A.19, subsection 6, the department, upon an appeal by the licensee of the decision by the department shall ...
The Power of Money (1998)
Coinage and Politics in the Athenian Empire by Thomas J. Figueira
The best available method for proceeding is a re-creation based on a commonsense ordering of the source material.
Autobiographical Sketches (2009)
by Annie Besant
At the best, the telling has a savour of vanity, and the only excuse for the proceeding is that the life, being an average one, reflects many others, and in troublous times like ours may give experience of many rather than of one. And so the ...
by Steven H. Gifis
by Bruce R. Hopkins
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDING the issuance of decisions. For example, the IRS creates administrative law when it promulgates regulations, revenue rulings, revenue procedures, and the like. administrative proceeding An “administrative ...
by Paul Finkelman
A hearing on a petition for a search, seizure, arrest, or execution of judgment is inquisitorial, as is a grand jury proceeding, a legislative issuance of a declaration of war or letters of marque and reprisal, or investigatory hearings of legislative ...
by John Houston Merrill, Charles Frederic Williams, Thomas Johnson Michie, David Shephard Garland
Lord Tenterden, said : ' This court cannot interfere absolutely to prevent the plaintiff's proceeding in an action which was properly brought here, nor have we any control over the action in the exchequer. But we have authority to say in the action ...
At Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, James Cockroft, Thomas Edward O'Brien
there was pending a Certain criminal judicial proceeding, wherein the State of Texas was plaintiff and one far/e Green was the defendant, wherein the said faek Green was duly and legally charged by indictment with having, on thefoarteenth ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for proceeding
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about proceeding
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about proceeding
VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = anti subsidy proceeding
See also the pronunciation examples of proceeding!
Quotes about proceeding
They haul you up there for, you know, week after week in this kind of star chamber proceeding. Then at the end of it they say, well, we found nothing, but now it's time for special counsel. (Bruce Babbitt)
more quotes about proceeding...
Scrabble value of P3R1O1C3E1E1D2I1N1G2
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of proceeding to see it in context!