The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun proponent:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun proponent
What does proponent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: proponents
- a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of proponent: advocate / advocator / exponent
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific words:
- vindicator / apologist / justifier = a person who argues to defend or justify some policy or institution
- constitutionalist = an advocate of constitutional government
- Darwinian = an advocate of Darwinism
- democrat = an advocate of democratic principles
- populist = someone who advocates the rights of the common people over those of the elite
- federalist = an advocate of federalism
- Gnostic = an advocate of Gnosticism
- humanitarian / humanist = an advocate of the principles of humanism
- ideologist / ideologue = an advocate of some ideology
- internationalist = an advocate of internationalism
- irredentist / irridentist = an advocate of irredentism
- isolationist = an advocate of isolationism in international affairs
- Jansenist = an advocate of Jansenism
- libertarian = an advocate of libertarianism
- Maoist = an advocate of Maoism
- Marxist = an advocate of Marxism
- nationalist = an advocate of national independence of or a strong national government
- neoclassicist = an advocate of neoclassicism
- neutralist = an advocate of neutrality in international affairs
- nullifier = an advocate of nullification
- drumbeater / partisan / zealot = a fervent and even militant proponent of something
- partitionist = an advocate of partitioning a country
- Platonist = an advocate of Platonism
- pro-lifer = an advocate of full legal protection for embryos and fetuses
- presenter / sponsor = an advocate who presents a person
- protectionist = an advocate of protectionism
- republican = an advocate of a republic
- ritualist = an advocate of strict observance of ritualistic forms
- ruralist = an advocate of rural living
- secessionist = an advocate of secessionism
- secularist = an advocate of secularism
- separationist / separatist = an advocate of secession or separation from a larger group
- representative / spokesperson / interpreter / voice = an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose
- suffragist = an advocate of the extension of voting rights
- protagonist / supporter / champion / admirer / booster / friend = a person who backs a politician or a team etc.
- supremacist = a person who advocates the supremacy of some particular group or racial group over all others
- teleologist = advocate of teleology
- Thatcherite = an advocate of Thatcherism
- unilateralist = an advocate of unilateralism
Alternative definition of the noun proponent
Proponent a.k.a. Activist is a profession.
- also known as 運動家
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for proponent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
15th International Conference, Seoul, Korea, November 28-30, 2012, Revised Selected Papers by Taekyoung Kwon, Mun-Kyu Lee, Daesung Kwon
the proponent is the attacker and the opponent is the defender. Conversely, if the root of an ADTree is a defense node, the proponent is the defender and the opponent is the attacker. Furthermore ...
The Northeastern Reporter (1920)
Edsall, Supra, the court Says: “The chief complaint and contention of the proponent is that the evidence presented and upon which the jury based its verdict sustaining the charge of undue influence was insufficient by reason of its lacking in.
by Alabama. Supreme Court
In a contest before the probate court respecting the validity of a will, the proponent is the party plaintiff, and the contestants are the defendants; and the other heirs-at-law, or tlistributees, though notified of the proceeding, are not parties to it, ...
by Us Department Of Defense, www.survivalebooks.com, Department of Defense, Delene Kvasnicka, United States Government US Army, United States Army, Department of the Army, U. S. Army, Army, DOD, The United States Army
A Data Layer Proponent is an HQDA office, agency, or command responsible for initiating, developing, coordinating, and approving geospatial data layer content. A Data Layer Proponent is responsible for issuing and maintaining policy and ...
CAREER FIELD-PROPONENT (A,F,G,N,Q,T) Definition: An indicator of the Personnel proponent career field in which the civilian occupation is assigned. Use if Career Program is not available. Field Format: 2 Alphanumeric DE NAME: ...
by Edward Craig
proponent and the opponent. At each stage of the game, the two players are considering a sentence and a possible world. The game starts from the world WQ in which a sentence S is to be evaluated. Such a game G(S;H'o) is defined by the ...
by Edward Craig
proponent and the opponent. At each stage of the game, the two players are considering a sentence and a possible world. The game starts from the world wo in which a sentence 5 is to be evaluated. Such a game G(S;wo) is defined by the ...
by Junius P. Rodriguez
Proponent. of. Emigration. In 1831, Delany began to explore ideas about black emigration to a new land beyond the boundaries of racist oppression, considering, in turn, the east coast of Africa, Texas (when it was still independent) , Canada, ...
Encyclopedia of Ukraine (2016)
Volume I: A-F plus Map and Gazetteer by Volodymyr Kubijovyc
The strongest proponent of federalism among the brotherhood's members was M. Kostomarov. These ideas were not very popular in the 1840s, but eventually they inspired many important political thinkers and activists. Certain Russian liberal ...
by David A. Dieterle Ph.D.
Ricardo was an early proponent of the idea that an economy's ...
At Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, James Cockroft, Thomas Edward O'Brien
Proponent of the will, David Porter; contestants of the will, fulia Grady and Eliza f. Grady. It is hereby stipulated and agreed by and between the parties to above contest, as follows: First—That the Judge shall, by consent of the parties, charge ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for proponent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about proponent
Click on an item to view that photo:
Health care reform proponent
Photo credit: ragesoss
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about proponent
Video shows what proponent means. One who supports something; an advocate. proponent synonyms: exponent. Proponent Meaning. How to pronounce ...
See also the pronunciation examples of proponent!
Quotes about proponent
Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3O1N1E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of proponent to see it in context!