The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun proposition:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun proposition
- Definition of the verb proposition
- Phrases with Proposition
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Proposition
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Proposition
- Photos about Proposition
- Video language resources about Proposition
- Quotes about Proposition
- Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3O1S1I1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of PROPOSITION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun proposition
What does proposition mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: propositions
- (logic) a statement that affirms or denies something and is either true or false
- domain: logic
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic word: statement = a message that is stated or declared
- more specific terms:
- particular proposition / particular = a proposition that asserts something about some (but not all) members of a class
- universal proposition / universal = a proposition that asserts something of all members of a class
- negation = a proposition that is true if and only if another proposition is false
- converse = a proposition obtained by conversion
- lemma = a subsidiary proposition that is assumed to be true in order to prove another proposition
- theorem = a proposition deducible from basic postulates
- ratiocination / conclusion = the proposition arrived at by logical reasoning
- postulate / posit = a proposition that is accepted as true in order to provide a basis for logical reasoning
- axiom = a proposition that is not susceptible of proof or disproof
- part: term = one of the substantive phrases in a logical proposition
- a proposal offered for acceptance or rejection
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of proposition: proffer / suggestion
- more generic word: proposal = something proposed
- more specific words:
- an offer for a private bargain (especially a request for sexual favors)
- the act of making a proposal
- a task to be dealt with
Alternative definition of the noun proposition
- [uncountable] The act of offering (an idea) for consideration.
- [countable] An idea or a plan offered.
- [countable, business settings] The terms of a transaction offered.
- synonym: proposal
- [countable, logic] The content of an assertion that may be taken as being true or false and is considered abstractly without reference to the linguistic sentence that constitutes the assertion.
- synonym: statement
- [countable, US, politics] In some states, a proposed statute or constitutional amendment to be voted on by the electorate.
- [countable, mathematics] An assertion so formulated that it can be considered true or false.
- [countable, mathematics] As a special case, textbooks often, and papers sometimes, label an assertion which is provably true, but not important enough to be a theorem, a proposition. Normally this is part of a numerical reference system ('Proposition 3.2', 'Lemma 3.3', 'Theorem 3.4')
Definition of the verb proposition
What does proposition mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: propositioned | propositioning | propositions
- suggest sex to
Alternative definition of the verb proposition
- [transitive] To propose a plan to (someone).
- [transitive] To propose some illicit behaviour to (someone). Often sexual in nature.
- "Proposition" a.k.a. "The Proposition" is a 2005 Australian western film directed by John Hillcoat and written by screenwriter and musician Nick Cave. It stars Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, Emily Watson, John Hurt, Danny Huston and David Wenham. The film's production completed in 2004 and was followed by a wide 2005 release in Australia and a 2006 theatrical run in the U.S. through First Look Pictures.
- also known as The Proposition - Tödliches Angebot, The Proposition - Ehdotus
- countries: Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand
- language: English Language
- producers: Chiara Menage, Cat Villiers, Chris Brown & Jackie O'Sullivan
- executive producers: Chris Auty, James Atherton, Michael Hamlyn, Michael Henry, Norman Humphrey, Robert Jones, Sara Giles
- production design by Chris Kennedy
- art direction by Bill Booth & Marita Mussett
- written by Nick Cave
- Noah Taylor as Brian O'Leary
- Guy Pearce as Charlie Burns
- Mick Roughan as Mad Jack Bradshaw
- Robert Morgan as Sergeant Lawrence
- Emily Watson as Martha Stanley
- Ray Winstone as Captain Stanley
- Danny Huston as Arthur Burns
- David Gulpilil as Jacko
- Leah Purcell as Queenie
- David Wenham as Eden Fletcher
- John Hurt as Jellon Lamb
- Tom Budge as Samuel Stoat
- Tom E. Lewis as Two Bob
- Jeremy Madrona as Asian Prostitute #1
- Jae Mamuyac as Asian Prostitute #2
- Shane Watt as John Gordon
- Bryan Probets as Officer Dunn
- Oliver Ackland as Patrick Hopkins
- David Vallon as Tom Cox
- Daniel Parker as Henry Clark
- Carl Rush as Robert Borland
- Gary Waddell as Officer Davenport
- Iain Gardiner as Officer Matthews
- Bogdan Koca as Paul Broussard
- Sue Dwyer as Mrs. Broussard
- Lance Medlin as Dan O'Reilly
- Rodney Boschman as Tobey
- Boris Brkic as Officer Halloway
- Ned Rose as Old Aboriginal
- Ralph Cotterill as Dr. Bantrey
- Max Age as Thommo
- Jerry Solomon as Blinky
- Richard Wilson as Mike Burns
- cinematography by Benoît Delhomme
- edited by Jon Gregory
- music by Warren Ellis, Nick Cave
- costume design by Margot Wilson
- set decoration by Jill Eden
- genres: Western, Crime Fiction, Costume drama, Historical period drama, Psychological thriller, World cinema, Action/Adventure, Drama
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (10 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- AACTA Award for Best Production Design nomination for Chris Kennedy
- AACTA Award for Best Film nomination for Chiara Menage, Jackie O'Sullivan, Chris Brown & Cat Villiers
- AACTA Award for Best Direction nomination for John Hillcoat
- AACTA Award for Best Original Music Score nomination for Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
- AACTA Award for Best Lead Actor nomination for Guy Pearce
- AACTA Award for Best Lead Actor nomination for Ray Winstone
- AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for John Hurt
- AACTA Award for Best Original Screenplay nomination for Nick Cave
- AACTA Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Margot Wilson
- AACTA Award for Best Sound nomination for Ian Morgan, Richard Davey, Paul Davies & Craig Walmsley
- AACTA Award for Best Editing nomination for Jon Gregory
- AACTA Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Benoît Delhomme
- Golden Trailer Award for Best Foreign Dramatic Trailer (Zealot Productions)
- AACTA Award for Best Production Design, received by Chris Kennedy
- AACTA Award for Best Original Music Score, received by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
- AACTA Award for Best Costume Design, received by Margot Wilson
- AACTA Award for Best Cinematography, received by Benoît Delhomme
- San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Ray Winstone
- World Soundtrack Award for Discovery of the Year nomination for Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
- London Film Critics Circle Award for British Supporting Actress of the Year nomination for Emily Watson
- San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor, received by Ray Winstone
- Chlotrudis Award for Best Actor nomination for Ray Winstone
- Chlotrudis Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Danny Huston
- Chlotrudis Award for Best Original Screenplay nomination for Nick Cave
- Chlotrudis Award for Best Actor nomination for Guy Pearce
- Chlotrudis Award for Best Original Screenplay, received by Nick Cave
- "Proposition" is a 2014 short drama film written by Ahmed Abdullahi and Marioan Hosseini and directed by Ahmed Abdullahi.
- Proposition: In politics, a proposition is a rarely used term to designate political parties, factions, and individuals in a legislature who are favorable and supportive of the incumbent government, as against the opposition.
- Proposition: In mathematics, the term proposition is used for a proven statement that is of more than passing interest, but whose proof is neither profound nor difficult.
Phrases with Proposition
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Proposition
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Dov M. Gabbay, John Woods
A universal proposition is that in which a common term determined by a universal sign is subject, as “every man runs'; or, a universal proposition is that in which something is signified to be in all or none. A common term is what is apt by nature ...
by Pasquale Frascolla
of the Tractatus declares: 'To understand a proposition means to know what is the...
by Victor J. Katz, Menso Folkerts, Barnabas Hughes, Roi Wagner, J. Lennart Berggren
The second proposition is that saying that we multiply one fraction by another is like saying that we take a fraction from another. This is obvious. The third proposition is that for any number which is multiplied by another, the first number to the ...
Essays in Memory of Alonzo Church by Alonzo Church
Whether a sentence is an acceptable and effective expression of a given proposition is a matter of how readers take it, and not a matter of conventions established in the past. Now we are ready to present a discourse obtaining in the universe ...
Sharing Possessions (2011)
What Faith Demands, Second Edition by Luke Timothy Johnson
The first proposition is that the Christian life, whatever else it may be, is surelya code of ethics. To be Christian means to live in one wayand not another, to have certain definite values manifest themselves in certain definite patterns of behavior .
by Paul K. Moser
A proposition is a priori if and only if it is necessary and can be known to be necessary. (S2) A proposition is a priori if and only if it is analytic and can be known to be analytic. 21 Unlike ...
by James G. March
The first proposition is that long time perspectives for the future stimulate exploration of new ideas. Both the generation of new ideas and persistence with them are more favored by long future time horizons than by short ones. The second ...
An Encyclopedia of the American Mosaic by Charles A. Gallagher, Cameron D. Lippard
Proposition 187 creates a state immigration enforcement mechanism separate from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and employing standards different from those required under federal law. . . . States have no power to ...
by Elmar Waibl
Satz an slch m ' sentence/proposition in itself , ...
Now, as to all the other premises made use of in the course of reasoning, they are manifest and known truths by supposition, as being either definitions, self- evident propositions, or truths previously established. The assumed proposition is that ...
by Clive N. Svendsen, Allison D. Ebert
In establishing the state's constitutional right to pursue stem cell research, Proposition 71 clearly defined it as “research involving adult stem cells, cord blood stem cells, pluripotent stem cells, and/ or progenitor cells,” and then further defined ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Proposition
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Proposition
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Value proposition.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Proposition
Click on an item to play that video:
- Definition of Logical Proposition
Basic Concepts of Propositional Logic Part 1. Definition of Logical Proposition In this video, the definition of "logical proposition" is given, along with the definition ...
- Proposition Meaning
Video shows what proposition means. The act of offering (an idea) for consideration.. An idea or a plan offered.. The terms of a transaction offered.. proposition ...
- Explanation of Arizona Proposition 117
- Google Verb Meme: The Beatles Edition! (And a Challenge Proposition!)
View more videos about Value proposition.
See also the pronunciation examples of Proposition!
Quotes about Proposition
Communism is a proposition to structure the world more reasonably, a proposition for changing the world. As such, we have to analyze it and, if we deem it reasonable, act upon it. (Friedrich Durrenmatt)
more quotes about proposition...
Scrabble value of P3R1O1P3O1S1I1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PROPOSITION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Proposition!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Proposition to see it in context!