On this page:
Definition of the noun psychological state
What does psychological state mean as a name of something?
- (psychology) a mental condition in which the qualities of a state are relatively constant even though the state itself may be dynamic
- domain: psychological science / psychology
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of psychological state: mental condition / mental state / psychological condition
- more generic words: condition / status = a state at a particular time
- more specific terms:
- cognitive state / state of mind = the state of a person's cognitive processes
- frame of mind / state of mind = a temporary psychological state
- aboulia / abulia = a loss of will power
- anhedonia = an inability to experience pleasure
- depersonalisation / depersonalization = a loss of personal identity
- hypnosis = a state that resembles sleep but that is induced by suggestion
- fugue = a dreamlike state of altered consciousness that may last for hours or days
- psychic trauma / trauma = an emotional wound or shock often having long-lasting effects
- morale = a state of individual psychological well-being based upon a sense of confidence and usefulness and purpose
- anxiousness / anxiety = a relatively permanent state of worry and nervousness occurring in a variety of mental disorders, usually accompanied by compulsive behavior or attacks of panic
- hallucinosis = a mental state in which the person has continual hallucinations
- identity crisis = distress and disorientation (especially in adolescence) resulting from conflicting pressures and uncertainty about one's self and one's role in society
- nervousness / nerves = an uneasy psychological state
- psychotic belief / delusion = an erroneous belief that is held in the face of evidence to the contrary
- mental health = the psychological state of someone who is functioning at a satisfactory level of emotional and behavioral adjustment
- mental disease / mental illness / psychopathy = any disease of the mind
- agitation = a mental state of extreme emotional disturbance
- depression = a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity
- elation = an exhilarating psychological state of pride and optimism
- botheration / irritation / annoyance / vexation = the psychological state of being irritated or annoyed
- enchantment / trance / spell = a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
- disassociation / dissociation = a state in which some integrated part of a person's life becomes separated from the rest of the personality and functions independently
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Psychological State
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Joseph Sebastian
It is a psychological state in which the subject is addicted to alcoholic drinks. Animism. Anima means soul. Animism denotes belief in spiritual beings. Many sociologists believe that the ultimate source of religion is animism. Associationism.
by Michael Proudfoot, A.R. Lacey
Such knowledge, however, does not, for Dummett, consist in some inner psychological state which can causally explain our ability to use the language. Rather it is manifested simply in the speaking itself, and to give the content of what is ...
by Brian L. Cutler
and criminal litigation (when the psychological state of a decedent is relevant to some aspect of a criminal proceeding).
by Elmar Waibl
psychological state s psychischer Zustand rn (Searle) (min) psychological terror s Psychoterror m (psy) psychological time s psychologische Zeit f, Zeiterleben n ( psy) < experiencing of time‚ intemal clock, experience of time psychological types ...
by Viktor Knapp
Since almost any conduct of the injured party subsequent to the initial harm can be represented as reflecting a pre-existing psychological state, the rule stated above, if taken too strictly, would erode the principle that the injured party must take ...
by Kylie Peppler
Triggered Situational Interest Phase 4: Well-Developed Individual Interest D Phase 2: Phase 3: Maintained Situational Emerging Individual Interest Interest • Psychological state • Psychological state • Psychological state • Psychological state ...
Dictionary of Psychology (2000)
The psychological state of a person as revealed by systematic mental examination which covers general health appearance, mood, speech, communication, psychomotor activity, thought, feeling, judgement, and intelligence.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Psychological State
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Psychological State
If you need images about Psychological State for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Quotes about Psychological State
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Psychological State to see it in context!