On this page:
- Definition of the verb publish
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for publish
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for publish
- Usage statistics about publish
- Photos about publish
- Video language resources about publish
- Quotes about publish
- Scrabble value of P3U1B3L1I1S1H4
- Share this page
The word publish and its family (published, publisher, publishers, publishes, publishing, unpublished) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb publish
What does publish mean as a doing word?
Publish is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: published | publishing | publishes
- put into print
- examples: The newspaper published the news of the royal couple's divorce | They won't publish the story
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Product] David dug me a hole | Donna fixed me a sandwich [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] David constructed a house | Donna fixed a sandwich [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] as [Oblique] They designed the Westinghouse-Mitsubishi venture as a non-equity transaction [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] for [Beneficiary] David dug a hole for me | Donna fixed a sandwich for me [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] David constructed a house out of sticks
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonym of publish: print
- more generic words: create / make / produce = create or manufacture a man-made product
- more specific words:
- prepare and issue for public distribution or sale
- examples: publish a magazine or newspaper | They won't publish the story
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of publish: bring out / issue / put out / release
- more generic words: air / bare / publicise / publicize = make public
- more specific word: edit = supervise the publication of
- have (one's work) issued for publication
Alternative definition of the verb publish
- [intransitive]: To issue a medium (e.g. publication).
- [transitive]: To issue something (usually printed work) for sale and distribution.
- [transitive]: To announce to the public.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for publish
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Permission to publish is an official declaration of ecclesiastical authority that the material is free from doctrinal and moral error. No legal responsibility is assumed by the grant of this permission. Excerpts from the English translation of the Rite ...
A Self-renewing Society (1990)
The Role of Television and Communications Technology by Narain Dass Batra
Justice Hugo Black while applying the Sherman Anti-trust Act said: "Freedom to publish means freedom for all and not for some... Freedom of the press from governmental interference under the First Amendment does not ...
How to Grow a Novel (2014)
The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them by Sol Stein
made by editors and publishers who were book people, thatis, men and women steeped inthe literatureof both past and present,to whom readingis anactof discovery, and to whoseabode books are as necessary as walls.To publish means to ...
5th IFIP WG 2.13 International Conference on Open Source Systems, OSS 2009, Skövde, Sweden, June 3-6, 2009, Proceedings by Cornelia Boldyreff, Kevin Crowston, Björn Lundell
Publish is an attractive product and as a consequence of growing interest from both customers and the OSS community, Publish gradually requires more and more attention. This growing interest forces them to focus on either the stock market ...
by Casey Albert Wood
The American Ophthalmological Society was formed and began to publish its Traxnsactions in 1865. These are published in parts, several being paged together to form a volume. The Tramsactions for 1916 completed volume 14.
by San Murugesan, Irena Bojanova
Publish subscribe ○ Sockets: these are typical for programming unicast interaction (one to one) as well as simple one‐to‐many interaction ○ Publish/subscribe: this is a common high‐level abstraction for multicasting. Producers ...
by Jeffrey Jensen Arnett
publish a manuscript or not, but the reviewers greatly aid in this process. For vanity or nonrefereed journals, either the editor asks authors to submit a manuscript, or the authors submit the manuscript and pay the journal to publish it. In either ...
The Structure of the Lexicon (2012)
Incorporating a Cognitive Approach in the TCM Lexicon, with Applications to Lexicography, Terminology and Translation by Marcel Thelen
To publish is defined as: “vb. 1. to produce and issue (printed matter) for distribution and sale. 2. (intr.) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for publish
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about publish
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb publish:
Photos about publish
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: helloneighbor
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about publish
Click on an item to play that video:
- Publish Meaning
Video shows what publish means. To issue a medium (e.g. publication).. To issue something (usually printed work) for sale and distribution.. To announce to the ...
- Publish and Share Kaavo System Definition Templates (Closed Caption)
Webinar on how to publish and share best practice cloud deployments using Kaavo IMOD. This is especially helpful to developers, ISVs, Managed Hosting ...
- Quick explanation on how to publish a seed
- Urban Dictionary Challenge publish
- Publish products on atupapa.com, a free multi-language B2B trade platform (demo)
atupapa.com is a small-medium sized enterprise oriented, multi-language international trading platform. Seller use either English or Chinese to edit products, ...
- Publish Revit Apps to Exchange Store - Addendum: Multi-language Considerations
This is an Addendum in the presentation series "Publish Your Revit Apps to Autodesk Exchange Store". This section talks about Localization issues and ...
- Language switcher eZ Publish
- Nugget's description of what he'll publish
View more videos about Publish or perish.
See also the pronunciation examples of publish!
Quotes about publish
In France we have a law which doesn't allow the press to publish a photo that you didn't approve. It lets the paparazzi take the picture, but if they publish this picture, you have the choice to sue the newspaper. So me, I always sued them. (Audrey Tautou)
more quotes about publish...
Scrabble value of P3U1B3L1I1S1H4
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of publish to see it in context!