Puff appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- puff up
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun puff:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb puff:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun puff
- Definition of the adjective puff
- Definition of the verb puff
- Phrases with Puff
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Puff
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Puff
- Photos about Puff
- Video language resources about Puff
- Quotes about Puff
- Scrabble value of P3U1F4F4
- Share this page
The word puff is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun puff
What does puff mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: puffs
- a short light gust of air
- a light inflated pastry or puff shell
- exaggerated praise (as for promotional purposes)
- bedding made of two layers of cloth filled with stuffing and stitched together
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of puff: comfort / comforter / quilt
- more generic terms: bed clothing / bedclothes / bedding = coverings that are used on a bed
- more specific terms:
- a soft spherical object made from fluffy fibers; for applying powder to the skin
- thick cushion used as a seat
- a slow inhalation (as of tobacco smoke)
- example: he took a puff on his pipe
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of puff: drag / pull
- more generic terms: aspiration / breathing in / inhalation / inspiration / intake = the act of inhaling
- more specific word: toke = a puff of a marijuana or hashish cigarette
- part of: smoke / smoking = the act of smoking tobacco or other substances
- forceful exhalation through the nose or mouth
- example: he blew out all the candles with a single puff
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of puff: blow
- more generic terms: breathing out / exhalation / expiration = the act of expelling air from the lungs
- more specific word: insufflation = an act of blowing or breathing on or into something
Alternative definition of the noun puff
- [countable] A sharp exhalation of a small amount of breath through the mouth.
- [uncountable] The ability to breathe easily while exerting oneself.
- synonym: wind
- [countable] A small quantity of gas or smoke in the air.
- [context: informal, countable] An act of inhaling smoke from a cigarette, cigar or pipe.
- synonym: drag
- [countable] A flamboyant or alluring statement about an object's quality.
- [context: uncountable, slang] The drug cannabis.
- synonym: pastry
- [countable] A light cake filled with cream, cream cheese, etc.
- synonym: See 'poof'
- [context: derogatory, slang, British, particularly northern UK] a homosexual; a poof
- [slang, dated] life
Definition of the adjective puff
What does puff mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: puffer |
Definition of the verb puff
What does puff mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: puffed | puffing | puffs
- smoke and exhale strongly
- suck in or take (air)
- breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
- make proud or conceited
- praise extravagantly
- speak in a blustering or scornful manner
- to swell or cause to enlarge
- examples: Her faced puffed up from the drugs | puffed out chests | Did his feet puff?
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula there [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Location] There bubbled a fragant stew over the fire [Agent] [Verb] [Source] I bled him [Agent] [Verb] [Theme] The bill shed 50 pages of pork-barrel addons [Location] [Verb] with [Theme] The streets gushed with water [Source] [Verb] The fountain gushed [Source] [Verb] [Theme] The well gushed oil [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] out The water seeped out [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] from / out of [Source] Oil gushed from the well [Theme - inanimate] [Verb] [Path Preposition] [Location] Water gushed through the streets [Locative Preposition] [Location] [Verb] [Theme] Over the fire bubbled a fragant stew
Verbs of Emission (with the same syntax): belch, bleed, bubble, dribble, drip, drool, emanate, exude, foam, gush, jet, leak, ooze, percolate, pour, radiate, seep, shed, slop, spew, spill, spout, sprout, spurt, squirt, steam, stream, sweat, trickle.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of puff: blow up / puff out / puff up
- more generic terms: intumesce / swell / swell up / tumefy / tumesce = expand abnormally
- blow hard and loudly
Alternative definition of the verb puff
- [intransitive] To emit smoke, gas, etc., in puffs.
- [intransitive] To pant.
- [transitive, archaic] To advertise
Who is Puff?
Puff a.k.a. Sean Combs: Sean John Combs, also known by his stage name Diddy or P. Diddy, is an American rapper, singer, record producer, actor and men's fashion designer. He has won three Grammy Awards and two MTV Video Music Awards, and his clothing line earned a Council of Fashion Designers of America award. He was originally known as Puff Daddy and then as P. Diddy.
- read more about Sean Combs
- Puff is a fictional character from the movie Miss in Her Teens.
- Puff is a fictional character from Human Nature.
- Puff is a fictional character from the 1978 film Puff the Magic Dragon.
- Puff is a fictional character from the 2005 film The Proud Family Movie.
- Puff is a fictional character from the 1979 film Puff the Magic Dragon in the Land of the Living Lies.
- in the film "Puff the Magic Dragon in the Land of the Living Lies", played by Burgess Meredith
"Puff" is a written work.
- author: Roger Hargreaves
"Puff" a.k.a. "Puff"" is a musical album of Blues Control.
- released in (8 years ago)
- PUFF a.k.a. Pineapple Underground Film Festival is a film festival held annually in Hong Kong.
- read more about Pineapple Underground Film Festival
- PUFF a.k.a. Portland Underground Film Festival is held annually in Portland, Oregon, United States.
- read more about Portland Underground Film Festival
Phrases with Puff
Phrases starting with the word Puff:
- puff up
- puff out
- puff adder
- puff paste
- Puff Piece
- puff batter
- puff of air
- Puff pastry
- Puff-Backed Bulbul
- Puff the Magic Dragon
- Puff-Throated Babbler
Phrases ending with the word Puff:
- cream puff
- Pizza Puff
- Cheese Puff
- Garden Puff
- Yellow Puff
- Spotted Puff
- Tropical Puff
- Love in a Puff
View more phrases with the word Puff in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Puff
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Abridged from the Seven-volume Work, Entitled: Slang and Its Analogues by John Stephen Farmer, William Ernest Henley
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* PUFF ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
* PUFF. n.
(and Related Subjects) by K.L. Kosanke, Barry T. Sturman, Robert M. Winokur, B.J. Kosanke
PUFF POT – A small special ...
by John Nott
Co make Ülbitt puff.43aste, - TAKE two pound of fine Flour, and the Whites of six Eggs beaten up, and make it into Balls with cold Water, roll into it two pound of Butter at five or fix times rolling. If it be in the Winter time beatyour Butter to make it ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Puff
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Puff
Click on an item to view that photo:
Super puff clouds!
Photo credit: Tree Leaf Clover
Photo credit: xordroyd
These little things covered vast expanses across the mountainous regions of Norway.
Photo credit: kennymatic
Another pal wearing her best hat for the day.
Photo credit: daphneann
Photo credit: spencer341b
Photo credit: basheertome
Photo credit: Jon Grado
Photo credit: born1945
Runs great in DOSBox.
Photo credit: mightyohm
Photo credit: paola rizzi
Photo credit: GWLopez
- Quick puff - second fold
Photo credit: grongar
- Spiked Puff
Photo credit: Daniel Pink
- Quick puff
Photo credit: grongar
- Pork puff
Excellent. The pork inside was spicy.
Photo credit: stu_spivack
View more pictures about Powder Puff.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Puff
Click on an item to play that video:
- Puff Meaning
Video shows what puff means. A sharp exhalation of a small amount of breath through the mouth.. The ability to breathe easily while exerting oneself.. A small ...
- 4b High Puff with more definition
- Power Puff Girls 2! (The true meaning of being the same)
- Explanation Of Kit Kat & Puff
- English Vocabularies for ESL EFL Beginners -- puff, shear, shroud etc. Lesson 174
Learning English words through pictures. SCRIPT The jeans are patched up. The man is puffing the smoke. The man is slamming a hammer down. The men are ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Puff!
Quotes about Puff
Scrabble value of P3U1F4F4
The value of this 4-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Puff to see it in context!