The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun punk:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective punk:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun punk
- Definition of the adjective punk
- Phrases with Punk
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Punk
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Punk
- Photos about Punk
- Video language resources about Punk
- Sign language
- Quotes about Punk
- Scrabble value of P3U1N1K5
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun punk
What does punk mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: punks
- an aggressive and violent young criminal
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of punk: goon / hood / hoodlum / strong-armer / thug / tough / toughie
- more generic words: criminal / crook / felon / malefactor / outlaw = someone who has committed a crime or has been legally convicted of a crime
- more specific word: bully = a hired thug
- substance that smolders when ignited; used to light fuses (especially fireworks)
- material for starting a fire
- a teenager or young adult who is a performer (or enthusiast) of punk rock and a member of the punk youth subculture
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of punk: punk rocker
- more generic words: adolescent / stripling / teen / teenager = a juvenile between the onset of puberty and maturity
- member of: punks = a youth subculture closely associated with punk rock music in the late 1970s; in part a reaction to the hippy subculture
- rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock
Alternative definition of the noun punk
- Tinder made from certain fungi.
- [countable] A utensil for lighting wicks or fuses (such as those of fireworks) resembling stick incense.
- [countable] A prostitute; courtezan.
- [countable] [context: 19th century, rare] The bottom in a male-male sexual relationship; a catamite.
- [US, prison slang] A male used for sex by larger or stronger inmates.
- [uncountable] A social and musical movement rooted in rebelling against the established order.
- [uncountable] The music of the punk movement, known for short songs with electric guitars, strong drums, and a direct, unproduced approach.
- [countable, sometimes as informal plural punx] A person subscribing to the movement, a punk rocker.
- [countable] A worthless person.
- [countable] A juvenile delinquent, young petty criminal or trouble-maker.
Definition of the adjective punk
What does punk mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: punker | punkest
- of very poor quality; flimsy
Alternative definition of the adjective punk
- Of, or resembling the punk subculture
- Punk a.k.a. David Otunga: David Daniel Otunga, Sr.
- read more about David Otunga
- Punk a.k.a. Brooke D'Orsay: Brooke D'Orsay is a Canadian actress from Toronto, Ontario.
- read more about Brooke D'Orsay (actress)
- Punk a.k.a. Chan Kwong Wing: Comfort Chan Kwong-wing is a music composer for Hong Kong films. Some of his well-known works in films include the Infernal Affairs trilogy, SPL: Sha Po Lang, Initial D and Daisy.
- read more about Chan Kwong Wing
- Punk is a fictional character from the 2001 anime series Sadamitsu the Destroyer.
- also known as Ponkotsu, Junk
- Punk: A punk is a fictional character in the 1975 drama film Giliap.
- Punk a.k.a. Punk rock is a rock music genre that developed between 1969 and 1976 in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. Rooted in garage rock and other forms of what is now known as protopunk music, punk rock bands eschewed perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. Punk bands created fast, hard-edged music, typically with short songs, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY ethic; many bands self-produced recordings and distributed them through informal channels.
- read more about Punk rock
- "Punk" is a composition.
- also known as Punk (original mix), Punk (Kid Vicious remix), Punk (Cosmic Gate remix)
- music and lyrics by Ferry Corsten
- "Punk" is a musical single of Ferry Corsten.
- also known as Punk Remixed
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Punk" is a musical album of Decibel.
- released in (37 years ago)
- "Punk" a.k.a. "Punk!" is a musical album of Коmatozz.
- also known as Коmatozz
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Punk" is a musical album of EA80.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Punk" a.k.a. "Punk!" is a musical album of Visací zámek.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Punk" is a musical single of Los Planetas.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Punk" is a musical EP of Strider.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Punk" is a 2012 TV movie written and directed by Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire.
- country: France
- language: French
- director: Jean-Stephane Sauvaire
- producers: Victorien Vaney & Anna Vaney
- written by Jean-Stephane Sauvaire, Camille Vizzavona, Georgina Tacou
- casting by Karine Nuris
- cinematography by André Chemetoff
- edited by Stéphane Elmadjian, Olivier Michaut-Alchourroun, Katharine McQuerrey
- music by Nicolas Becker
- genre: Drama
- released on
- "Punk" is a 1986 short film written and directed by Carl Franklin.
- "Punk" is a film, directed by Jim Steel.
- Punk is a music magazine/fanzine created by cartoonist John Holmstrom, publisher Ged Dunn, and "resident punk" Legs McNeil in 1975. Its use of the term "punk rock," coined by writers for Creem magazine a few years earlier, led to its worldwide acceptance as the definition for the new bands that were producing a new sound based on the music of The Stooges, the New York Dolls, the MC5, and the Ramones. It was also the first publication to popularize the CBGB scene.
- official website: www.punkmagazine.com
- Punk: A punk is a smoldering stick used for lighting firework fuses. It is safer than a match or a lighter because it can be used from a greater distance and does not use an open flame. They are made of bamboo and a brown coating of dried manure or compressed sawdust. Punks often resemble sticks of incense, and in some countries actual incense sticks are used in a similar fashion. Punks are sold at nearly all firework stands and many stands will include them for free with a purchase.
- Punk was a Punk and Ska radio station on Sirius Satellite Radio channel 29 and Dish Network channel 6029. In its time it rivaled Fungus 53 on XM Satellite Radio. It was added to Sirius Canada on June 24, 2008.
- official website: www.sirius.com/punk
Phrases with Punk
Phrases starting with the word Punk:
Phrases ending with the word Punk:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Punk
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Margo DeMello
Punk piercings also tend to be “louder” than piercings in other scenes, with jewelry utilizing knives, long chains, and bones are popular, as well as stretched piercings, and multiple piercings on the face. Tattooing is and has been one of the ...
by Richard Rudgley
Not only was this a rejection of other drugs, those associated with the rather turgid rock establishment, it also embodied the punk ethos, as Richard Ives put it: 'Punk was about expropriating consumer items and turning them into art, and glue ...
by Melissa Hope Ditmore
The New York Dolls, a prominent New York City punk rock band whose flair for attracting publicity inspired many imitators, posed in female attire and wrote songs with ambiguous, overtly sexual song lyrics and titles that suggested male or ...
Including All the Words and Phrases Generally Used in Medicine, with Their Proper Pronunciation and Definitions; Based on Recent Medical Literature by George Milbry Gould
Puncta ( punk'-taA)[p\. of punclum, a point). See Punclum. P. dolorosa, tender or painful points ...
Including the Pronunciation, Accentuation, Derivation, and Definition of the Terms Used in Medicine, Anatomy, Surgery ... by George Milbry Gould
ta ( punk'-tah) [pl. of Punctum, a point]. Points. cruenta. Synonym of P. vasculosa. P. doloa, tender or painful points in the course of nerves in inflamed condition, or at ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Punk
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Punk
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Daquella manera
Photo credit: Jonas B
Artfully augmented red phone box. Victoria Embankment, London.
Photo credit: Dun.can
Of the Mohawk persuasion.
Photo credit: insouciance
Photo credit: geishaboy500
Photo credit: bogenfreund
Central Station Cologne
Photo credit: sandy_vandeo
- Visitor Punk
Photo credit: danxoneil
- Cool punk doggie
Photo credit: Average Jane
- Hello Kitty - Dour Lolita Punk Edition
Photo credit: Aaron Gustafson
- London Punk
A Punk photographed at Camden Market in North London
Photo credit: www.davidbaxendale.com
- This Bear is Punk
Photo credit: rubu74
- Stay Punk
Photo credit: break.things
Photo credit: Aurimas Adomavicius
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Punk
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Jaco Pastorius's Jazz Punk Tribute (Weather Report : Slang) !
Nouveau projet 12.
- The State of the Punk aka the Long Effing Explanation Video
- Bindle punk Meaning
Video shows what bindle punk means. A bindle stiff.. Bindle punk Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say bindle punk. Powered by ...
- Beach Slang - Punk or Lust (live 09/12/14)
Beach Slang live at the Beat Kitchen Chicago.
- Punk'd meaning and pronunciation
When a celebrity falls into a trap of trickery cleverly devised by Ashton Kuscher so that he can wave his arms around and make his retro john deere hat fall off ...
- The Definition of Punk
FaceBook: Brett Waste.
- Shortcut To Nowhere - Meaning of Life/Drink Drank Punk
- "DP" A Sound Text Punk Opera (Explanation)
- Meaning by ElEvatOrR puNK
- Definition of a punk
- Punk zine Meaning
Video shows what punk zine means. A zine addressing and describing the punk subculture.. Punk zine Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- MABY OPENING SES PUNK!!!! (Description)!
- Punk! (ESL Summer School)
Teen Fashion 1 and 2, Frances King Activity Class, Week 1: A documentary on punk!
- The punk panter (el inspector) el pero porfavor ver description
See also the pronunciation examples of Punk!
Daft Punk in Sign Language - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Dance put together by the Sign Language Club at the Governor's Scholars Program 2010 at Centre College. One of the girls in the dance is actually deaf and ...
Quotes about Punk
Scrabble value of P3U1N1K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Punk to see it in context!