Pup is a palindrome (it reads the same backward as forward).View more palindromes!
On this page:
- Definition of the noun pup
- Definition of the verb pup
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Pup
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pup
- Usage statistics about pup
- Photos about Pup
- Video language resources about Pup
- Quotes about Pup
- Scrabble value of P3U1P3
- Anagrams of PUP
- Share this page
The word pup is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun pup
What does pup mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: pups
- young of any of various canines such as a dog or wolf
- an inexperienced young person
Alternative definition of the noun pup
- A young dog, wolf, fox, seal, shark and some other animals.
- A young, inexperienced person.
- Any dog that one believes is cute, regardless of age.
- A short semi-trailer used jointly with a dolly and another semi-trailer to create a twin trailer.
Definition of the verb pup
What does pup mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: pupped, pupping
- give birth to (a puppy)
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] The cat kittened
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of pup: whelp
- more generic terms: bear / birth / deliver / give birth / have = cause to be born
- Pup a.k.a. Michael Clarke: Michael John Clarke is a professional Australian cricketer and captain of the Australian cricket team for both Test and ODI cricket. Nicknamed "Pup", he is a right-handed middle-order batsman, an occasional left-arm orthodox spin bowler and also a slip catcher. He represents New South Wales at a domestic level. In January 2011, Clarke stood down as captain of the Australian Twenty20 cricket team to concentrate on his Test and ODI performance. On 22 November 2012, Clarke scored a double century at the Adelaide Oval, making him the only Test batsman to ever achieve four double centuries in a calendar year. He won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy, thereby winning the Cricketer of the Year 2013 and also the Test Cricketer of the Year 2013. He led Australia to a 5–0 whitewash of England in the 2013–14 Ashes series. He was named Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 2010 Wisden Cricketers' Almanack. He was named Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World for the year 2012 in 2013 Wisden Cricketers' Almanack.
- read more about Michael Clarke
- Pup a.k.a. Michael Hepburn is an Australian track and road cyclist from Brisbane. Hepburn started competitively cycling at 14 years of age after making the change from triathlons.
- read more about Michael Hepburn
- Pup a.k.a. Luke MacDougall is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer in the National Rugby League competition, who last played for the Canterbury Bulldogs. He previously played for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, South Sydney Rabbitohs, St. George Illawarra Dragons, Newcastle Knights and Melbourne Storm. MacDougall's position of choice is at Wing.
- read more about Luke MacDougall
- Pup a.k.a. Shaun Carney is an Australian professional rugby league footballer.
- read more about Shaun Carney
- Pup a.k.a. Alex Romero was an actor, choreographer and dancer.
- read more about Alex Romero (actor)
- Pup a.k.a. Patchai Pukdesusook is a member of Thai rock band, Potato.
- read more about Patchai Pukdesusook
Pup is a Canadian punk rock band formed in Toronto, Ontario, Canada formerly called Topanga. They released their debut self-titled album on October 8, 2013 on Royal Mountain Records. In December 2013, they signed with SideOneDummy Records and released their first LP on April 8, 2014.
- genre: Punk rock
- album: "PUP"
- official website: puptheband.bandcamp.com
- Pup is a fictional film character.
- Pup a.k.a. Gog N'Magog is a comic book character, fictional character created by Arthur Adams & Ann Nocenti in Marvel Universe, first appeared in Longshot #1.
- read more about Gog N'Magog
- Pup is a fictional character from the 1998 film Out of Sight.
There are other characters with in their name, like Pete the Pup.
- "Pup" is a musical album of Shuttle358.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Pup" is a musical album of Mike Keneally Band.
- "PUP": PUP is 2013 album by Canadian punk rock band Pup.
- Pup a.k.a. deoD is a gene.
- Pup a.k.a. Pulabu Language: Pulabu is a Rai Coast language spoken in Madang Province, Papua New Guinea.
- Pup is a comic strip.
- PUP a.k.a. Polytechnic University of the Philippines Mighty Maroon is a school mascot.
- read more about Polytechnic University of the Philippines Mighty Maroon
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Pup
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Word and Language (1971)
by Roman Jakobson
The appellative pup means a young dog, mongrel means a dog of mixed breed, hound is a dog used in hunting, while Fido...
Linguistics and Evolution (2013)
A Developmental Approach by Julie Tetel Andresen, Julie Tetel
which is precisely the factor that corresponds to the metalingual function: When we say, The pup is a winsome animal or...
by Robert E. Walker
A bull pup is a rifle that has very compact external dimensions. The archetypal approach used to create...
Your Visa to Viewing the Universe by Robert A. Garfinkle
Xi Pup is a spectrum G3 Ib supergiant with an apparent magnitude of 3.34 and an absolute magnitude of -4.5. The star is also...
An Invisible Accordion (1995)
A Canadian Poetry Association Anthology by Jennifer Footman
moniker Like Chuckles or Samson Or Faust or Veronica Queenie or King would be Out of the question But why not Ulysses Searchmount or Sebastian If your pup is a Peke From a land oriental Sao Ying is a name That's appropriately gentle ...
a puppy is a baby 3. a fawn is a baby . 6. a pup is a baby 4. a piglet is ...
The school etymological dictionary and word-book. (Chiefly an abridgment) [of Etymological and pronouncing dictionary]. (1872)
by James Stormonth
pup, n. pup iIt. vuppa, a child's ...
by Phil Gunson, Greg Chamberlain, Andrew Thompson
The PUP«s support has traditionally been stronger among Spanish-speakers, ladinos, Catholics and Indians than among blacks, who have tended to favour more West Indian-oriented politicians. In 1951¥4 the PC was believed to have had ...
anoun, plural punts averb punted, punting, punts pup noun A young ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pup
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about pup
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun pup:
Photos about Pup
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Pup
Click on an item to play that video:
- Pup Meaning
Video shows what pup means. A young dog, wolf, fox, seal, shark and some other animals.. A young, inexperienced person.. Any cute dog, regardless of age.
- Making Meaning from Pup to Dawg
Enroll as a pup and graduate as a dedicated Dawg by becoming actively engaged in YOUR UGA experience! Discover how critically thinking about your ...
- Corgi pup Henry's vocabulary grows, mostly in names of toys
- PUP seeks explanation for amendment to finance instrument
- Sigh language|Toby Pup
- Pup Sings Language of His People
See also the pronunciation examples of Pup!
Quotes about Pup
A fox distances itself from a crazy pup.
more quotes about pup...
Scrabble value of P3U1P3
The value of this 3-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of PUP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Pup!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Pup to see it in context!