On this page:
Definition of the verb quantize
What does quantize mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: quantized | quantizing | quantizes
- approximate (a signal varying continuously in amplitude) by one whose amplitude is restricted to a prescribed set of discrete values
- apply quantum theory to; restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a physical entity or system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes that are integral multiples of a common factor
- example: Quantize gravity
- domain: natural philosophy / physics
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- alternative spelling: quantise
- more generic terms: calculate / cipher / compute / cypher / figure / reckon / work out = make a mathematical calculation or computation
Alternative definition of the verb quantize
- [transitive, physics] To limit the number of possible values of a quantity, or states of a system, by applying the rules of quantum mechanics
- [transitive, telecommunications] To approximate a continuously varying signal by one whose amplitude can only have a set of discrete values
- [transitive, music] To shift each beat in a rhythmic pattern to the nearest beat of a given resolution (eighth note, sixteenth note, etc.), or to adjust the frequency or pitch of a note to the nearest perfect tone in a given musical scale
Quantize is a musical group.
- albums: "Time", "IL-SF"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quantize
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Darren Jones
Display Quantize is an important setting – the score editor will not display notes or rests that are smaller than the set values, so if you are using a part with 32nd notes in it, then you will need to re-set these. Cubase has these settings to try to ...
The Remix Manual (2014)
The Art and Science of Dance Music Remixing with Logic by Simon Langford
If you don't then you might need to go back to the Arrange window and make sure the audio track that contains the region you want to quantize is the currently selected one and that the specific regions you want are ...
Tips, tools, and techniques for studio sound at home by Marc Schonbrun
Swing quantize is great for jazz drum parts that need to swing! The only information you need to quantize is the speed of your fastest note division. It uses the standard musical note durations of whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, and so on.
Dance Music Manual (2009)
Tools, Toys and Techniques by Rick Snoman
Groove quantize is a more recent development that allows you ...
Loops and Grooves (2003)
The Musician's Guide to Groove Machines and Loop Sequencers
Quantize is a fancy word for automatic error correction, which fixes slight timing errors made during real-time recording. To use quantization first assign a grid value, such as sixteenth or thirty-second notes. As you play, if a particular note is a ...
by Dennis Longley, Michael Shain
quantize In communications, to assign one of a fixed set of values to an analog signal as part of an analog to digital conversion process, e.g. in pulse code modulation, an analog signal is sampled, quantized and a ...
Terms and Acronyms by Brad Hansen
quantize. (v.)In digitizing audioorvideo, to measure the amplitude of a sample at regular intervals to establisha representative numericalvalue to encode. Other steps inanalog-to-digital (A/D) conversion are sampling and encoding.
by James D. Parham
While in Step Record Mode, select the desired QUANTIZE setting: a. The QUANTIZE setting ( either ...
Volume 12 - Pattern Recognition: Structural Description Languages to Reliability of Computer Systems by Jack Belzer, Albert G. Holzman, Allen Kent
we can quantize the differences non uniformly— fine quantization for small differences, coarse for large. Errors at large-difference points are less conspicuous since these ...
by Ray Horak
See also analog, CELP, compression, encode, HCV, modem, PCM, quantize, vector, and VoIP. VQL (Variable Quantizing Level) A voice compression technique that encodes analog voice signals in blocks, adjusting the size of the quantizing ...
by Robert Splinter
Schrödinger's conditions will quantize these energy levels for electrons. In the Bohr model, each energy level can be occupied by two fermions, where both will have opposite spin (spin up vs. spin down). At absolute zero, all atomic energy ...
Quantize : A process used in sequencing which 'fixes' rhythmic 556 • Encyclopaedic Dictionary of Music.
by Richard A. Matzner
Various attempts to quantize general relativity have thus far been unsuccessful. String theory contains general relativity in some limit, and gravity may eventually be quantized in the context of the quantum theory of strings. quantum yield The ...
All the Essential Terms, Composers, and Theory in an Easy-to-Follow Format! by L. C. Harnsberger
quantize: To round off the rhythmic value of ...
by Random House
downsize, earthrise, edgewise, excise, franchise, Grecize, high-rise, incise, king-size, leastwise, lengthwise, life- size, likewise, low-rise, man-size, midsize, misprize, moonrise, outsize, pint-size, quantize, queen- size, remise, reprise, revise, ...
Music Dictionary (2008)
Paperback Lessons by Hal Leonard Corp.
quantize: In synthesis, aligning notes to precise rhythmic values to correct for human inaccuracies.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quantize
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Quantize
Photo credit: kandinski
Video about Quantize
Video shows what quantize means. To limit the number of possible values of a quantity, or states of a system, by applying the rules of quantum mechanics.
See also the pronunciation examples of Quantize!
Scrabble value of Q10U1A1N1T1I1Z10E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 26 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine