Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun quarrel:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun quarrel
- Definition of the verb quarrel
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quarrel
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quarrel
- Usage statistics about quarrel
- Photos about Quarrel
- Video language resources about Quarrel
- Quotes about Quarrel
- Scrabble value of Q10U1A1R1R1E1L1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun quarrel
What does quarrel mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: quarrels
- an angry dispute
- example: they had a quarrel
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of quarrel: dustup / row / run-in / words / wrangle
- more generic terms: conflict / difference / difference of opinion / dispute = a disagreement or argument about something important
- more specific words:
- an arrow that is shot from a crossbow; has a head with four edges
Alternative definition of the noun quarrel
- A verbal dispute or heated argument.
- A ground of dispute; a complaint
- A diamond-shaped piece of coloured glass forming part of a stained glass window.
- A square tile; quarry tile
- A square-headed arrow for a crossbow.
Specialised definition of the noun quarrel
Glossary of sports / archery
a crossbow arrow
Definition of the verb quarrel
What does quarrel mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: quarrelled, quarrelling
- have a disagreement over something
- examples: We quarreled over the question as to who discovered America | Sam and Sue quarrel | Sam wants to quarrel with Sue
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] They battled [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] about [Topic, possessive with -ing] They battled about his coming [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] about [Topic, wh-complement clause] They battled about whether he should go [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] about [Topic, what-extraction] They battled about what was the right thing [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] about [Topic, what-infinitive clause] They battled about what to do [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] about [Topic, whether-infinitive clause] They battled about whether to go [Actor - being or organization, plural] [Verb] about [Topic, not sentential clause] They battled about it [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] with [Actor 2] about [Topic, wh-complement clause] I battled with him about whether he should kill the peasants [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] with [Actor 2] about [Topic, what-extraction] I battled with him about whether he should go [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] with [Actor 2] about [Topic, what-infinitive clause] I battled with him about what to do [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] with [Actor 2] about [Topic, whether-infinitive clause] I battled with him about whether to go [Actor 1 - being or organization] [Verb] with [Actor 2] about [Topic, not sentential clause] I battled with him about it
Verbs of Social Interaction (with the same syntax): argue, bargain, battle, bicker, brawl, clash, combat, communicate, compete, conflict, correspond, dicker, differ, disagree, dispute, duel, feud, fight, joust, quibble, scuffle, skirmish, spar, spat, squabble, struggle, tilt, tussle, vie, war, wrangle, wrestle.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of quarrel: altercate / argufy / dispute / scrap
- more generic words: argue / contend / debate / fence = have an argument about something
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb quarrel
- To disagree
- To contend, argue strongly, squabble.
- To find fault
- To complain bitterly.
"Quarrel" is a video game developed by Denki and published by UTV Ignition Entertainment. It is a word-based strategy game, described as "Scrabble x Risk x Countdown." It was released for iOS devices on August 25, 2011 and on January 25, 2012 for Xbox Live Arcade.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Denki
- genres: Puzzle game, Word game, Strategy game
- publisher: UTV Ignition Entertainment
- released on
- award: - BAFTA Games Award for Mobile & Handheld nomination for Aaron Puzey, Gary Penn, Sean Taylor, UTV Ignition Entertainment, Denki
"Quarrel" a.k.a. "The Quarrel" is a 1991 Canadian film directed by Eli Cohen, Saul Rubinek and R. H. Thomson. The film was written by David Brandes and Joseph Telushkin.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- written by David Brandes
- location: Montreal
- genres: Historical period drama, Drama
- subject: World War II
- released in (24 years ago)
- Quarrel is a fisherman in the Caribbean. He is an ally to James Bond in the film Dr. No and is portrayed by John Kitzmiller. He also has a son Quarrel Jr. who appears in a later Bond film.
- Quarrel is a fictional character from the 1973 film Live and Let Die.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quarrel
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Commitment in Dialogue (1995)
Basic Concepts of Interpersonal Reasoning by Douglas N. Walton, Erik C. W. Krabbe
The quarrel is a verbal means of dealing with this situation by allowing the grudge or hurt feelings to be expressed openly and recognized on both sides. Once the conflict has been openly expressed, the goal in a favorable kind of quarrel is to ...
English Synonymes Explained, in Alphabetical Order; with Copious Illustrations and Examples Drawn from the Best Writers. By George Crabb, of Magdalen Hall, Oxford (1818)
Quarrel is the general and ordinary term; broil and feud are particular terms. The idea of a variance between two |. is common to these terms; jut the former respects the complaints and charges which are reciprocally made; broil respects the ...
A Philosophical Dictionary (1824)
The quarrel is an important one, for honour is in question. Proofs must now be found. Some learned church- singer discovers an old rusty iron pot, marked with an A, the initial of the brazier's name who made the pot. Pierre Aoudri persuades ...
The Secret Language of Love (2003)
A Visual Treasury of Love Through the Ages by Megan Tresidder
the lovers' quarrel is an ancient rite for couples. a way of reitentting and recharging the love thai they are in the midst of denying "Lovers' quarrels" wrote the goman playwright Terence. "are the renewal of ...
by Wolfgang Mieder, Stewart A. Kingsbury, Kelsie B. Harder
quarrel (n.) ...
Mongolian English Dictionary (2013)
БУЛААЛДАХto quarrel, to dispute БУЛААЛТrobbery БУЛААЛЦАЛДАХ toquarrel over,to dispute, Европын цом ~ хөл бөмбөгний тэмцээн European football cup contest, өвөлжөөгөө ~to quarrel over winter pastures БУЛААТАЙ buried ...
udarbeidet efter de bedste og nyeste ordbøger by Christian Friderich Bay
a Quarrel, Differe11ee Contention, Strife, Altercation, Litigation, Contestation. Klammervor11 , TRlammer, a Crampiron. (hos Bogtrykkere) a Crotchet. Klammerie, Quarrel , Fray, Brawl, Scuille, Contest-Fight. TKlammerurt ...
by Bruce Biggs
quarrel kaakari,kaikiri, kairiri, kekeri, koowhetewhete, korokiikii, kowhete, ngangare, ngangau, paka, papa, raupatu, riri, tarahae, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quarrel
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about quarrel
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun quarrel:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb quarrel:
Photos about Quarrel
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about A Fair Quarrel.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Quarrel
Click on an item to play that video:
- Quarrel Meaning
Video shows what quarrel means. A verbal dispute or heated argument.. A ground of dispute or objection; a complaint.. earnest desire or longing.. quarrel ...
- Pick A Fight - Quarrel - Argument - With Somebody - Vocabulary 3 - British English Pronunciation
- Vocabulary - "Yet" & "Quarrel"
- Kid's quarrel, God knows in which language.
See also the pronunciation examples of Quarrel!
Quotes about Quarrel
Scrabble value of Q10U1A1R1R1E1L1
The value of this 7-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Quarrel to see it in context!